VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

Downloaded an SRT file for a 4K Avatar video, as the one encoded was Italian, however the first one had Subtitles the whole time and not just when the Aliens were talking. The second one I tried only displayed when the Aliens were talking, but was terribly out of sync.
    Do I need to download an SRT especially for 4K, I had assumed that so long as the movie was the same length, it didn’t matter, bit I could be wrong

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming you ripped the file from your disc, the subtitles should be on the disc along with everything else
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. It is an Italian DVd, the soundtrack has English, but the Subtitles are in Italian only, which is why I want to add an English subtitle....

Hopefully will get a useful answer
    Quote Quote  
  4. 4K is typically 23.976 fps while an Italian/European DVD of the same movie will likely be 25 fps (PAL Speed-Up). Try to change the subtitle speed e.g. using SubtitleEdit, then after any constant delay if there is (both under "Synchronization"). With Avater there may also be the difference between the different cuts (Cinema, Special, Extended).
    Last edited by sneaker; 15th Nov 2019 at 06:20.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi
    Thanks, so it doesn’t matter which SRT I use, so long as the movie is the same length, is that correct ?
    Also there are many Subtitke websites , is there a preferred one that has good subtitles ?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. How do you know about "same length"? Subtitles often end much earlier than the complete file, e.g. because there are no subtitles after the ending credits have started.

It seems there are at least 3 editions of Avatar (Cinema, Special, Extended). Be careful because e.g. the runtime of 25 fps (PAL DVD) Special Edition is similar to the runtime of the 23.976 fps (4K/Blu-Ray/NTSC DVD) Cinema cut.
    Last edited by sneaker; 15th Nov 2019 at 06:25.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks, any suggestions as to a good site with reliable subtitles ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/305253-Good-subtitle-sites

As for "reliable" you're at the mercy of the uploaders of the subtitles. Sometimes you get good ones, sometimes not. The subtitles posted on these sort of websites are often text based, if not always (this last I wouldn't know for sure) The most common one is srt. They often have a BD or DVD as first source.
    But you can imagine that a text based subtitle also can be created by somebody who did this for a very specific language, that doesn't appear or BD or DVD.
    Subtitles ripped from commercial movie BD or DVD are image-based. To convert them to text they're run through a process called OCR. Which stands for Optical Character Reading. This conversion will introduce reading-errors and it's up to the uploader how much time & effort is spend in correcting these errors.
    srt subtitles only carry text and timecodes, so the videoresolution is not important. You can use these in SD, HD, UHD etc. As long as the frame-rate is the same.
    The downloads often state what frame-rate the source is. So, with PAL, you'd want to look for 25 fps. But, as said earlier, the common frame-rate for a 4K movie is 23.976. Should you run into syncing issues, it's indeed very easy to convert the timecodes in tools like Subtitle Edit and such.

As also said, getting the srt for the right version of the movie is the most important issue, my guess.
    Last edited by Ennio; 15th Nov 2019 at 17:27.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/305253-Good-subtitle-sites

As for "reliable" you're at the mercy of the uploaders of the subtitles. Sometimes you get good ones, sometimes not. The subtitles posted on these sort of websites are often text based, if not always (this last I wouldn't know for sure) The most common one is srt. They often have a BD or DVD as first source.
    But you can imagine that a text based subtitle also can be created by somebody who did this for a very specific language, that doesn't appear or BD or DVD.
    Subtitles ripped from commercial movie BD or DVD are image-based. To convert them to text they're run through a process called OCR. Which stands for Optical Character Reading. This conversion will introduce reading-errors and it's up to the uploader how much time & effort is spend in correcting these errors.
    srt subtitles only carry text and timecodes, so the videoresolution is not important. You can use these in SD, HD, UHD etc. As long as the frame-rate is the same.

The downloads often state what frame-rate the source is. So, with PAL, you'd want to look for 25 fps. But, as said earlier, the common frame-rate for a 4K movie is 23.976. Should you run into syncing issues, it's indeed very easy to convert the timecodes in tools like Subtitle Edit and such.

As also said, getting the srt for the right version of the movie is the most important issue, my guess.

Thank you so much, seem to have covered all my questions......Imhave a much better idea now thanks to your post.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A few subtitle sites
    podnapisi
    subscene
    OpenSubtitles
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Subscene-best for movies
    Addic7ed-best for tv shows

All others mentioned here are fulls of ads and click baits.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks

It would be great if someone could create a ‘ best of site, with frame rate listed and where the subtitles are listed ‘ full movie’ or for ‘Alien speech’ only e.g. avatar.....there are hundreds of listings for each move, across several sites.....gets its a case of suck it & see...
    Thanks everyone
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As for your last question, I wouldn't know and maybe you should follow the links johns0 put up.

I can imagine people taking the effort to rip and create a srt for, as you put it, 'Alien speech only'. I have never searched for those.
    These subtitles are often called "forced" on a BD. Maybe these kind of subtitles will carry that phrase within the title. When you come across those names, it's at least an indication that you want to skip that particular one. Not much help, but nevertheless. I never came across something like "full movie" as you say.

If you can't make out if it's the right version you're looking at, I would just get a bunch of them and open them in Subtitle Edit. In that software you can preview the output with your video-file running in the preview window.
    As different versions will have different runningtimes, after monitoring and playing back some lines at the beginning and end of the movie, and some in-between times, it's easy to quickly determine if you have right subtitles. I'm sure you can pick the right one within a minute. Maybe a few minutes, depends how familiar you are with the software. It's really a few mouse-clicks for every subtitle.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thank you.....
    Quote Quote