VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i have coded with ffmpeg command the subtitles to a video using .ass file.
    the coding ended successfully and when i click to play the output file in vlc media player from my saved folder in pc, the subtitle shown correctlyl as per my language, which is like the first picture.
    But when i saved the same to usb drive and play with the file, it behaves differentlyl , even though i selected .ass format, which has all formats saved properly , and which plays correctly.
    see the difference in the formation of letter. i used catamaran font for encoding and all the adjustments have been made in aegisub to save as ass file.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-11-13-15h07m15s788.png
Views:	76
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	50851  

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-11-13-14h56m56s430.png
Views:	81
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	50852  

Quote Quote  
  2. With soft subs you are at the mercy of the subtitle renderer. Not all renderers work the same. They do not all support the same fonts and same languages.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you playing these videos on your TV as you've mentioned in your other threads? If so, the only options are hardcode or use a better (i.e. external standalone) media player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Another possibility is to use graphic based subs (pictures of text) rather than text based subs. But again, outside a computer (and authored DVD and Blu-ray), not many devices support that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Jaga, what is renderer, To me it is a new term. please explailn. what is ss renderer. Do you mean the provider of subtitles in languages or is it different.I then searched further and then opened the .ass file. The sizes , border everything was there as customized except the font. It was in Arial default. Then i opened the same with aegisub, making doubly sure that the font , il saved is my native language font, google font catamaran.
    Now i will try one more time.
    I noticed that Arial font does not correcly translate the letters as per original srt or ass files.
    Jaga, renderer please explain the terminology.
    is it a kind of video software owners
    learning so many things from this forum members.
    If i had enclosed the first few lines of ass file, then you could have easily pointed out.
    the fact that appears correct if i i run in pc, is the fact that i inadvertantly did not remove the .ass file in the folder where the video was located, with the result the vlc player had used the .ass file to give the correct picture. i did not notice it at first.
    then when i moved the .ass file, the video in pc also shows the same way as in pendrive.
    Will try and report back
    Hi jaga, is there a way of testing a video , when it is processing the ffmpeg command. I did notice the existence of ffprobe.
    if suppose , i want to check , if everything is ok, in my case letters, can i check with ffproble. please supply the syntax for it, as i do not know how to use when ffmpeg is running
    Otherwise, i had to wait till the close of process only find out that it is not correct in execution due to oversight or any other issues
    Quote Quote  
  6. The subtitle renderer is the program that draws the subtitles onto the video. Text based subtitle files are just instructions on how you want the subtitles drawn. The subtitle renderer may not follow all the instructions properly.

If you want to make sure your subtitles are seen exactly as you want them you must hard code them with a render which draws them the way you specify.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Glad that you give the meaning of the renderer.
    Could you suggest, how to find out my renderer
    I mean how to know the program, that would give the exactly as i want.
    is there any force command in ffmpeg to force the way i want.
    I tried with catamaran font of google, but the same result.
    BUt if play it with the ass file inthe same folder , it does play correctly , exact letters as i mentioned in the sample video snapshot.
    please
    Quote Quote  
  8. vlc does not render fonts specified in the ass file that is whyou get the default vlc font which is arial, and that explains the difference..

Try hard coding foreign sub into tbe video..
    Otherwise tv will not play the ass as formatted.. i dont think tvs support trutype fonts..
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jraju View Post
    Hi, i have coded with ffmpeg command the subtitles to a video using .ass file.
    the coding ended successfully and when i click to play the output file in vlc media player from my saved folder in pc, the subtitle shown correctlyl as per my language, which is like the first picture.
    But when i saved the same to usb drive and play with the file, it behaves differently
    Because you did not hard code the subtitles. You just muxed the subtitles into the mp4 container. You don't seem to understand the difference:

Take a cardboard box, a photograph, and a piece of paper. On the paper write the instructions "Write 'This is a subtitle.' in italics at the bottom of the picture". The box is the MP4 container. The photograph is the video. The piece of paper is a soft subtitle. Put the photograph and the piece of paper inside the box -- this is the process of multiplexing, or muxing. You now have an MP4 container with video and soft subtitles inside. When you play this video (that is, when you take the photo out of the box and look at it) you become the subtitle renderer. You can choose to write This is a subtitle. on the picture or not. You may use italics or not depending on your abilities. Your handwriting is different than mine, so when I view this video the subtitle will look different -- that is my handwriting "font" is different than yours, even though we followed the same instructions.

Now take a cardboard box and a photograph. Get a pen and write 'This is a subtitle.' in italics on the photo -- as you write this you are the subtitle renderer. Put the photograph in the box. You now have an MP4 container containing video with hard coded subtitles. Every time you look at the photograph you will see the subtitle. You cannot look at the picture without seeing the subtitle. No matter who looks at the picture it will have the same subtitle, in italics, the same font, the same location, the same color, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your explanation is nice. But i think , ffmpeg does not suport the font , tamil catamaran, i suppose. the formula i used is just permanent hardcode of subtitles.
    But, it takes the default font or language to hardcode it. It is not softcoded but hardcoded, but differently.
    I solved theproblem, by using the vlc media player itself.
    Went to the subtitle settings , preferences, os and subtitles, then selected the catamaran font, and large type, and then save the settings clsose and then restart the vlc., then i just hardcoded with vlc media player, with using thei tutorial . Then , i just selected the .ass file and then run the vlc as per the link.
    the problem is solved with no extra work or other software.
    please see the video, and i did as suggested by the video and i got sunccess .
    the main point , i noticed in this video, is changing of bitrate to 15000. All other things are just normal instructions.
    why this bit rate change please tell me
    the links , i used is given here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxDpS5lSIRE
    So the thing is the font selection of required language is the major thing.
    Then if the font is not there , install the font and select that in vvlc media player.
    Instead of srt files, which only supports plain text, save the file as .ass format, which supports media preservation format etc.
    Thanks for all help
    jaga, please tell the change of bitrate , i just entered this bitrate to have my video subtitled.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The guy just decided he wanted to use 15000 kbps -- an ok bitrate for 1080p video. Use whatever bitrate you want. He shows you how.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably, his bit rate in properties show3 times bitrate, that he decided to use. So, 1/3 of what is shown bitrate would be ideal. is it not.
    He says that if he puts more than this rate, then it will not accept.
    that is the point, why i asked your opinion.
    One more thing
    when i just did ,according to his tutorial, by having h264 and mp3, the file size becomes unusually high, nearly 3.69 gb, from the actual size of 539 mb.
    Would you suggest any alternative codec, which will be just the original size or a little bit more.
    Quote Quote  
  13. File size is proportional to bitrate. So if you want smaller files use lower bitrate. The lower the bitrate the worse the quality (relative to the source). Different videos require different bitrates to maintain quality. So there's not simple "use this bitrate" answer to your question.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have asked for the codec, like avi, other than mp4. I am a little confused about this mp4 container. Some files , it shows less storage, converting to the same format , this is balooning up its storage.
    can i prefer avi format, and maintain whatever be the bitrate to reduce storage.
    i could store about 3 movies in a 4 gb pendrive, but now this subtd movie occupies the total space.
    Quote Quote  
  15. AVI and MP4 are containers, not codecs. Most containers add only a little overhead to the file size (AVI, MP4, MKV...). Typically less than 1 percent. Some containers add more overhead because they include lots of redundant information (TS, MTS, M2TS...). But even the worst typically add less than 5 percent.

Once again, size is directly proportional to bitrate. It's literally the definition of bitrate:

Code:
    bitrate = size / time
    So twice the bitrate --> twice the size. half the bitrate --> half the size.

Different codecs require different bitrates to maintain quality. For example, a particular video encoded at 1000 kbps might look fine with h.264, but terrible with MPEG 2.

Different settings for a particular codec will deliver different quality. For example, x264 at the ultrafast preset requires several times more bitrate than the veryslow preset.
    Quote Quote