VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [Attachment 50842 - Click to enlarge]

Just started to rip Blu Ray and no sure what I'm doing with the audio streams? So I rip full disc with Makemkv then use handbrake to re-encode video, etc.

Q1/ When dealing with DTS-HD, if I want future proof rips, for if I ever have a soundbar with HDMI (ARC), if I just rip the DTS-HD audio (Stream 2), will it still play on older equipment, via optical lead, or do I need both streams (stream 2 & 3)? As in, is the Core audio embedded in the DTS-HD file so if I just rip Stream 2, it will still be backward compatible with older surround systems?

Q2/ If I just want plain old 5.1 DTS, to play through Optical lead, can I assume I'd just omit the DTS-HD stream (Stream 2) and just copy Stream 3 for DTS 5.1

Any help thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Q1:
    DTS-HD MA from Blu-Ray always includes a backward compatible DTS core which can be output via optical/SPDIF. So you don't necessarily need both streams. (But there may be players that can play DTS core but aren't able to extract the core from a DTS-HD MA track).

Q2:
    Depends on what you set in MakeMKV. From your screenshot I can't see if e.g. track 2 is the main movie audio and track 3 a commentary track or if track 3 is also the main movie audio. If you checked both DTS-HD AND DTS core in MakeMKV when ripping then yes, you can indeed select only track 3 if you "want plain old 5.1 DTS, to play through Optical lead".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [Attachment 50844 - Click to enlarge]

So here is Blu Ray loaded in Makemkv with the 4 streams.

As "DTS Surround 5.1 English" (stream 3) is a child entry of "DTS-HD MA Surround 5.1 English" (stream 2)

01/ Does that mean that the child entry is the "Core" of DTS-HD MA or is the Core stored in DTS-HD MA and "DTS Surround 5.1 English" (stream 3) is just plain old DTS 5.1?

02/ Just curious if I need to copy streams 2 & 3 for future proofing or if I just need stream 2 for futureproofing?

03/ Also, if I just keep stream 3, this will be plain DTS 5.1?

I use Kodi XMBC so I have sound configured to convert any non ac3 streams to ac3 on the fly.

thanks
    Last edited by bar72; 12th Nov 2019 at 09:57.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 01/ Both. Basically MakeMKV is copying the core (which is in itself "plain old DTS 5.1") so you have it twice in the output mkv file (once as a core of the DTS-HD MA stream and additionally as a separate track)
    02/ Just stream 2 is sufficient.
    03/ Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @sneaker, thank you for the help, appreciated
    Quote Quote