VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone has come across this type of artifact. (see ghosting.png) I'm not sure if it's both combing and ghosting. It seems to be present when looking at it frame-by-frame before encoding. I've added an unencoded sample in the attachments (sample_track1_und.mpg).
    Is it even possible to remove such artifacts? Any help would be appreciated!

This is the Avisynth code I'm using:
    Code:
    MPEG2Source("sample_track1_und.d2v",CPU=6,info=3)
    tfm()
    TDecimate()
    naa()
    naa()
    GradFun3(radius=16,smode=2,thr=0.18)
    Crop(2,0,-2,0)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ghosting.png
Views:	459
Size:	460.4 KB
ID:	50836  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm pretty sure that section is interlaced, not telecined, so technically you should use hybrid=2, but frame blending for 24fps isn't great .

It seems to work better if you treat it as telecined, but TFM needs tweaking to detect the combing.

A = QTGMC().SelectEven()
    TFM(MI=10, blockx=4, blocky=4, clip2=A)
    TDecimate(mode=1)
    crop(2, 0, -2, 0)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Although it's risky and I don't know if it'll work for the whole thing, I had some luck bobbing followed by setting a final framerate using TDecimate:

QTGMC()
    TDecimate(Mode=2,Rate=23.976)
    LanczosResize(640,480)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'd encode at 59.94 fps:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("sample_track1_und.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx", Info=3)
    q = QTGMC(preset="fast")
    Interleave(TFM(field=0, cthresh=3, clip2=q.SelectEven()), TFM(field=1, cthresh=3, clip2=q.SelectOdd()))
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the help, I didn't realize that it some parts of the video were actually interlaced.
    Looking at the video again I'm not sure about my "method" of reducing the blockiness of non-black edges (see attached screenshot and sample). It doesn't seem to happen with black edges. I'm now using 2 or 3 times naa() to smoothen it out a bit, but it makes the script very slow. Is there a better/specific filter designed for this type of problem?
    Image Attached Images  
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. That's pretty much what's in the video (interlaced YV12 chroma subsampling). You can use an antialiaser like Santiag() to smooth those edges.
    Quote Quote