VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Everyone knows you can record anamorphic signal on VHS, it's not w problem.

But were there ever anamorphoc camcorders or lenses for VHS camcroders available?
    They were working for them for sure:
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg12717283-400-technology-widescreen-pictures-wil...on-be-on-tape/
    But where is the final product?
    I have NV-M9000 was there ever an anamorphic lens produces that would be compatible?
    Last edited by SF01; 8th Nov 2019 at 11:48. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Aug 4 1990, Wow. You've been waiting for 29 years and you haven't given up.
    There is a work around if you admire the look of VHS in a widescreen format, Use a cheap modern widescreen camcorder, If you are doing stationary recording feed the HDMI output from the camcorder to a HDMI to composite adapter with the frame squeezed horizontally and record as such on VCR, during playback just set the TV to stretch the frame horizontally and Wala you get widescreen VHS. If shooting mobile just playback the file after shooting in the camcorder and follow the exact same steps above.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    If it fits, then time to save the cash.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Aug 4 1990, Wow. You've been waiting for 29 years and you haven't given up.
    There is a work around if you admire the look of VHS in a widescreen format, Use a cheap modern widescreen camcorder, If you are doing stationary recording feed the HDMI output from the camcorder to a HDMI to composite adapter with the frame squeezed horizontally and record as such on VCR, during playback just set the TV to stretch the frame horizontally and Wala you get widescreen VHS. If shooting mobile just playback the file after shooting in the camcorder and follow the exact same steps above.
    I have just dug pu this article minutes ago, I'm not even that old. And I have already outlined my workflow for VHS duplication, Though I can just use a VCR with my DCR-TRV828E using S-video output in widescreen mode, though I suspect my VCR might have widescreen settings.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I have just dug pu this article minutes ago, I'm not even that old.
    That was just a joke. Anyway, I don't know about VHS camcorders but I do record S-VHS in anamorphic format, I set my media player to playback a clean HD video in a horizontally squeezed state in 4/3 format and down convert the resolution to 480i suitable for VHS, then I use an Aja device to convert HDMI SD 480i output from the media player to S-Video analog and record that into my S-VHS deck, At the playback I just set the TV to stretch the frame horizontally and it actually looks better than widescreen DVD, no compression artifacts what so ever.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    That was just a joke. Anyway, I don't know about VHS camcorders but I do record S-VHS in anamorphic format, I set my media player to playback a clean HD video in a horizontally squeezed state in 4/3 format and down convert the resolution to 480i suitable for VHS, then I use an Aja device to convert HDMI SD 480i output from the media player to S-Video analog and record that into my S-VHS deck, At the playback I just set the TV to stretch the frame horizontally and it actually looks better than widescreen DVD, no compression artifacts what so ever.
    Well, I'll be using 576i, better resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SF01 View Post
    Well, I'll be using 576i, better resolution.
    Yes that's what you would use if you are in PAL land, 480i is for NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Exactly.
    I'll update the thread when I make any progress.
    Quote Quote