VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My sister has a OLYMPUS PEARLCORDER J300 recorder which she bought in the hope of playing an old PHILIPS 15 MINUTE MICROCASSETTE. This cassette is too large to fit the machine! Are there different sizes of MICROCASSETTES? What does she need to buy to play her cassette? Name:  1571644015196.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  69.0 KB. I can't seem to upload the image but the measurements of the cassette are 57mm x 34mm x 8mm.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Standard, mini, micro:

micro, mini:
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much for this information. Just got to find a reasonably priced player now! Could it be placed (carefully) into a music cassette and played in cassette player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There were rumors of adapters but those were probably only available at places like Radio Shack.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While it's possible to unreel the tape and it on a regular cassette hub whose spokes are different, the bigger issue is the record/play speed is ~1/2 that of a regular cassette. An issue just for listening, unless you can decipher 2x speed audio, but easily fixed in software once captured.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you have a regular cassette player I believe you can take the tape out of a mini-cassette and put it in a regular cassette shell (most shells have screws so they're easy to open) to play it. In a worst case you may need to wind the mini tape onto the reels from a regular shell.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, they are different thicknesses (tape height) as well, so they will not properly pass over a replay head of a full size cassette deck. Then you will have all the sonic errors of misalignment.

<edit> Always check your work: my memory is failing me. Evidently, they ARE the same height. Nevermind</edit>

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 6th Nov 2019 at 23:03.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYI for those who may think of putting their Micro Cassette tape into a regular cassette case, the Micro Cassette runs in the opposite direction (right to left) of a regular cassette. Again, easily fixed from a capture in software, but gibberish (plus the speedup) in regular playback. The good news is that it looks like the tape hubs are the same as regular cassettes. No need to spool the tape on the regular cassette hub.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all of you who replied. I think I will try putting the tape into a regular cassette shell and then using "Audacity" to adjust the sound. Many thanks!
    Quote Quote