VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am aiming to capture according to these specs:

I am wondering whether this machine would be adequate to run VirtualDub2 and capture to FFV1 with a Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 750 USB under Windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't capture with FFV1, as it will probably be too demanding. Maybe try Lagarith or Huffyuv, which can be converted to FFV1 later if you want the smaller size.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Your system is much faster than what's required for lossless capture, but as KarMa says, capturing to FFV1 is not recommended. There's a reason your image header says "Archive Copy". Even setting aside the capture overhead, any further processing will be slowed by FFV1's slow decoding.

The operating system is more of a concern than exact system specs, since it limits your choices for quality SD capture devices.

I hope you didn't buy the ATI 750 USB intending to capture VHS or other tapes:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376526-VHS-waviness-in-digital-conversion-comparis...=1#post2438043
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is not going to be an airgapped system, this will be my only computer. Believe me, I've been reading these boards for years, I know XP or 7 is the best route to go for capture, and even then ideally on a desktop. But given that this machine will be connected to the information superhighway, I am worried about vulnerabilities and so am forced to use the monstrosity Windows 10.

Regarding the card, I saw lordsmurf recommended it in a thread a while back and went off of that. Does anyone have a better recommendation in a similar-or-lesser price range?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote