VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Obvious newbie here with basic question.

I am frustrated with the number of DVD creator sw I have download and found them all wanting. here is what I need can someone please point me in the right direction.

I have 600+ photos and 30-40 videos taken on a recent holiday, all I need is
    1) sw that will allow me to have chapters (or whatever term is used) where I can mix both photos and videos and name them e.g. city, country, coast, etc
    2) Have a DVD menu that I can set a background photo and list all the chapters by name, no need to icons or miniature versions of the first picture as I will have probably 10-15 chapters
    3) DVD to run to menu on playing and person viewing can then choose a chapter to watch, on completion it automatically returns to the menu
    4) Add music of course

Not too much to ask surely. I have tried Wondershare, Photoshare, Photo DVD maker, plus a few others I cant remember the names of.

Thank you gurus in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think TMPGEnc Authoring Works will do everything you need. It's paid software, but the demo gives you 30 days to try it out (or even complete your project), with no feature restrictions:

https://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw6.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Then there's the freeware DVDSlideshowGUI. It accepts both pictures and video as input. Just be aware that all those pretty hi-def pictures and video will look much less great when scaled down to the standard-def required for DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    JassyTheDog-Next time you make a post please use a better title for your thread rather than 'recommendation please,help me etc..'For this time I changed your title.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks Mr Chris, downloaded and all seemed exactly what I wanted until I wanted to add a soundtrack. You can only add music if it is attached to a jpg, so music per slide not per slideshow and need another app to add music to a jpg first. I shall probably persevere with this one as it seems to do everything else I want. I just dont understand why the author thinks they dont need a music track.

Manono, I will download DVDSlideshowGUI also to see if this does indeed do all the simple things I want to do.

Thanks also to johns0 for editing my title for this thread
    Quote Quote  
  6. Manono, just checked DVDSlideshowGUI and this does not allow separate slide shows with menus but thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by JassyTheDog View Post
    Manono, just checked DVDSlideshowGUI and this does not allow separate slide shows with menus but thanks anyway.
    Yes, but you mentioned needing only chapters, not multiple titles. I understand that you're not familiar with the proper terms.

However, it can do that, although it's a bit convoluted, involving using a different authoring program (GUI For DVD Author) to join the different titles into a single DVD after you've created them. Here's a guide:

Multiple slideshows on a single DVD

I believe it's within GUI For DVD Author that you'd set it return to the menu after each title plays, but I'm only guessing. I'd understand if it seems complicated but I know of no freeware program that will do what you want. Perhaps the TMPGEnc Authoring Works mentioned by Mr Chris can do it. TMPGEnc has a good reputation.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by JassyTheDog View Post
    Thanks Mr Chris, downloaded and all seemed exactly what I wanted until I wanted to add a soundtrack. You can only add music if it is attached to a jpg, so music per slide not per slideshow and need another app to add music to a jpg first.
    Are you using the "Add Slideshow" button on the right of the source window? Add all your pictures in there, and then select the "Audio" tab. You should be able to choose your background music in that, and it can last the length of the slideshow.

For a combination of still pictures and video, makes sure all your still pictures and videos for any given slideshow are loaded together in the same track, and then use the "BGM" button in the track listing on the left to add your audio.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks Mr Chris, finally got it working with just a small glitch I am working on.
    Quote Quote