VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm a newbie today, so please be gentle. I'm a long-time Windows Movie Maker user due to its ease of use and my comfort with it. I've made hundreds of projects/videos. It does what I need with no fuss. My videos are even used in museum kiosks and look great. I've tried plenty of other video editors, but always come back to Movie Maker. Pity me.

Even though it has been discontinued by Microsoft I have successfully installed the last version of WMM (2014) on my brand new i7 HP Spectre (1TB SSD; 16 gig RAM with 32 gig Optane Memory). It works fine.

I'm not a great Windows 10 expert, so here's my problem. How to I transfer my Windows 10 Video Project Folder to my new computer KEEPING the project files intact for all of my projects in progress? The old computer address to my videos looks like this: C:\User\1FLLap\Videos\Projects. The new computer address is: C:\User\aafra\Videos\Projects. Obviously I changed my User Name on the new computer.

When I open the projects on the new computer all of my files (titles, videos, audio and photos) are still in the folders, HOWEVER, the edited bits of the video and audio segments are missing. I gather this is because of the change in their address location on the new computer.

HEEEEEEEEEEEELP!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Yes, actually, I did find that link before I posted here. Not sure I understand it, though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Oh man, Moviemaker ... we still have a few MovieMaker installs around here (I work for university tech support), but really it's an exercise in support frustration.

Well, anyway, if you're gonna keep using it you are going to have to bite the bullet and start learning tech support the hard way, as you're gonna have to be your own tech support person when it comes to MovieMaker.

Unfortunately, there just ain't no way to help you on a non-techie level, so grab a test machine and follow along:

Windows Movie maker has two key very important files.

1. The project file, "*.mswmm." This file is your project file that references all the work done on your timeline (ex. edited clips, added titles, etc.). This file goes into your video project folder with all your other project files.

2. The collections database file, which is stored (by default) at:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Movie Maker\mediatab0.dat

Note this file is usually called either mediatab1.dat or mediatab0.dat – it contains information that is used to split imported video into smaller/shorter clips in the collections part.

So, to "move" your database file from the old profile to the new profile, copy:

C:\Documents and Settings\1FLLap\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Movie Maker\mediatb0.dat

to your new profile:

C:\Documents and Settings\aafra\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Movie Maker\mediatb0.dat

This overwrites your old settings over your new settings.

Note: If the file is named "mediatb0.dat" in your original profile and "mediatb1.dat" in your new profile, you'll need to change the file name of the old profile to match the file name in the new profile, i.e change "mediatb0.dat" to "mediatb1.dat" (or vice-versa) after you've copied the .dat file over.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ozymango; 29th Oct 2019 at 11:34. Reason: fixed bad links
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ozymango View Post
    Oh man, Moviemaker ... we still have a few MovieMaker installs around here (I work for university tech support), but really it's an exercise in support frustration.

Well, anyway, if you're gonna keep using it you are going to have to bite the bullet and start learning tech support the hard way, as you're gonna have to be your own tech support person when it comes to MovieMaker.

Unfortunately, there just ain't no way to help you on a non-techie level, so grab a test machine and follow along:

Windows Movie maker has two key very important files.

1. The project file, "*.mswmm." This file is your project file that references all the work done on your timeline (ex. edited clips, added titles, etc.). This file goes into your video project folder with all your other project files.

2. The collections database file, which is stored (by default) at:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Movie Maker\mediatab0.dat

Note this file is usually called either mediatab1.dat or mediatab0.dat – it contains information that is used to split imported video into smaller/shorter clips in the collections part.

So, to "move" your database file from the old profile to the new profile, copy:

C:\Documents and Settings\1FLLap\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Movie Maker\mediatb0.dat

to your new profile:

C:\Documents and Settings\aafra\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Movie Maker\mediatb0.dat

This overwrites your old settings over your new settings.

Note: If the file is named "mediatb0.dat" in your original profile and "mediatb1.dat" in your new profile, you'll need to change the file name of the old profile to match the file name in the new profile, i.e change "mediatb0.dat" to "mediatb1.dat" (or vice-versa) after you've copied the .dat file over.

Good luck!
    Thanks much! I'll have a look at the bowels of my old laptop later tonight.

Actually I'm using the Windows Live Essentials version of Windows Movie Maker (the last 2012 version) not the original WMM version. The project files are .wlmp files, not .mswmm, but I'm hoping the fix that you outlined will be the same as with the first generation of WMM. I was a master of that too till MS mucked with it. Of course, that was all before HD video.

The last version of WMM (2012) that I use supports HD editing very nicely. The only thing I find limiting is the title animations. The program is still rock solid for me. Never crashes and it's simple to crank out quick videos all day long without angst. I can truthfully say that I haven't needed any support whatsoever other than this problem.

What software do you like most?

Again, many thanks. I'll report back.
    Last edited by WinMovMkrVet; 31st Oct 2019 at 13:41.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I struck out. The Windows Live Essentials version of Movie Maker is no longer downloadable. That means I'll have to find a new video editor program.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WinMovMkrVet View Post
    I struck out. The Windows Live Essentials version of Movie Maker is no longer downloadable. That means I'll have to find a new video editor program.
    Perhaps from here
    https://www.winmoviemaker.com/

will it even work in Windows 10 ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by WinMovMkrVet View Post
    Perhaps from here
    https://www.winmoviemaker.com/

will it even work in Windows 10 ?
    Thanks for your reply! Windows Live Essentials version of Movie Maker works smoothly on Windows 10. I have it on two computers already. On one computer it has been working great since 2012 on Windows 7, 8 and now 10 for a couple of years. My second computer successfully installed it two weeks ago. Unfortunately, in recent days it seems that Microsoft has removed Movie Maker from the installation files that have been available, including at the website you have suggested. You can still install Windows Live Essentials, but no Movie Maker is included with the installation. It's a very sad ending to a beautiful FREE video editor.
    Quote Quote