VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Interesting to read so many posts on video on using ffmpeg
    I know the formats that would play on my tv, which has usb port support to play videos.
    can i make arrangement to play different languages of chosen subtitles to play on a movie in my tv.
    say, in englilsh, tamil, my regional languages in my tv.
    My tv plays video thro usb, means that it has an inbuilt video player.
    i heard that , when you rename the subtitles to the video name, in a folder, it would play the subtitles automatically. This i had experienced in vlc media player.
    But if this could be followed in the same way to play movies on my tv, by storing subtitle with the same name in the same folder . My tv shows, folder and then the file as in explorer.
    i do not find any menu other than enable subtitle menu in my tv in usb mode.
    How to test it
    can i store the same movie in different folders and different languages of the same movie's subtitles in the folders separately.
    i could not do any software corrections on my tv
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The final answer to this type of question is always the same. Get a standalone media player <$50 U.S. as the built-in TV media players are highly restricted in what they can do, in your case, switch subtitles.

That said, check your manual to see if additional subtitles are supported and in your case, Tamil, which may not be supported. As stated above, the built-in media players are extremely limited and as you said, almost always non-upgradeable.

The player probably supports multiple folders, and if it doesn't, you could add the video and Tamil subtitle to the main folder with a different name.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Thanks for the reply.
    it seems that mp4 including mkv is supported by my tv.
    does not support mp4 suggest, that it is also audio supported m4a, as it already contains the codec
    Please also say if my tv supports the hd format or standard format with the follwing enclosure
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tvsupportedvideo.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	654.4 KB
ID:	50652  

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The video format doesn't matter, especially since you know what types of videos work on your TV. Apparently you have a Samsung UF4000 (correct?), which reading the manual does support external .srt as well as some other formats. So the next thing is to try a known video with a external .srt file (same name as the video) in the same folder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Press the SUBTITLE button. The subtitle changes when the button is pressed repeatedly. The subtitle languages are represented by abbreviations.https://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_language_codes.aspe.g.English enTamil ta
    The Lion King (2019)-en.srtThe Lion King (2019)-ta.srt
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hI, ling and tEO, mY MODEL IS samsung ua225100arlxl model.
    This tv supports subtitle menu, but there is nothing like , subtitle button changing etc.
    This tv shows folders and subfiolders and files as in in explorer
    what i want to know is ,
    if i can store video and subtitle in one folder in same name or in different name and play.
    There is nothing like selecting subtitle menu etc..
    When i save the video and srt in the same name, it automatically play the subtile.
    can i play a tamil srt my regional language subtitle in my tv
    As my tv shows a item subtitle, i thought it auto plays the srt file with the video.
    Moreover, when i download the srt thro vlc media player , it gives the video name to the srt file and plays after download thro vl sub
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No one can give you a better answer and test than you. Put the video and Tamil .srt with the same name into a one folder and the same video and English .srt into another folder and see if it will play correctly. If only the video with the English subtitle plays, then your TV doesn't support Tamil and you'll have to use a standalone media player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks ling and eo,
    one sub query,
    what is the default video player of samsung tv
    I will try tamil srt also, as my english movie plays
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i tried subtititle edit to auto translate the srt files from english to tamil
    It asked for api key, which is priced.
    i just went to online site and translated it to my language.
    but the tranlation was done verbatim, which i need to edit and correct the lines in some subtitle lilnes.
    i do not know, how to to it in subtitle edit.
    could anyone guide me how to select a line to edit with my language, now it shows unicode format in srt format
    how to go about it
    There is no direct menu in tools or edit.
    if i edit in notepad, the timings , my get affected.
    is there a simple way of doing
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    When i play a srt file , ranslated to my language , tamil , from online using google translate, and saved in ult8 format, the tv plays it, but not in my language, but in machine language or unrecognized language format.
    is there anysolution for the above problem.
    should i save differently if i have to play in tamil.
    Hi, teo, the converted srt file is in ta.srt extension with ult8 format
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you mean UTF-8 which is discussed in this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/394358-why-converted-subtitles-language-letters-ar...en-encoding-it

As I said earlier, your TV may not support Tamil, at least in an srt. Check your manual for other subtitle formats and convert to that. Name the subtitle the same as your video file as you've done with the .srt. If that still doesn't work, you have to either embed the subtitle in to the video file, which requires re-encoding and lowers video quality or get a standalone media player that supports Tamil. Not sure what media players (recommend an Android Box) support Tamil subs, so best to start a new thread if that's what you're planning to do.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just noticed the other thread was from you.

The only other possibility is to try and do an update to the firmware on your TV. Check your manual to see how/if it can be done. However, as I posted before, the built in media player is really, really poor, so unlikely to be upgradeable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, ling, it is weird.
    if i use ffmpeg to hardcord subtitles of my language , the language characters are there, but not in correct as in usage.
    Hi, when i hardcoded the same thro vlc media player, the subtitles are not playing.
    but i know that i have selected the srt files to be included in the procedures
    why subtitles hardcoded are not playing in any player
    when it is hardcoded it becomes just a one media of video playing.
    the srt file is in ult-8 format, but when i select the srt file , in vlc after opening the video, it plays file as in the srt file
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I don't know about hardcoding subs. Recommend you start a new thread about how to properly hardcode Tamil subs into your videos as it seems I'm the only one posting in this one.
    Last edited by lingyi; 31st Oct 2019 at 12:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i achieved what i want.
    The solution is handbrake and nothing else.
    the content srt is only supporting he engish language.
    if i use vlc media player to embed the srt other than english, the process is going without showing the error, but it does not play at all.
    But if i select the srt while playing the video, it plays without any error in tamil also.
    i think it has to do with the stt contents.
    On the other hand , if you handbrake , it , there is a provision of burn in , which just write as it is to the video.
    Thanks for all help ling.
    So, any tamil lover, who want subtitles to be shown in their tv, can hardcorde the subtitles with handbrake.
    If the size of font is small, you could just resize with aegisub, another software ,
    But still do not know how to edit the subtitle in my language.
    the tamil online translator including ggogle produce only verbatim translation
    it translates AP a medical term of Anterior and Posterior with Andhra Pradesh a State name in India.
    I willraise a separate thread
    Quote Quote  
  16. get a professional translator... machine translation is always crude..

guessing tv does not support unicode txt so only way is to burn in subs into
    your video.. meaning recoding it with subs as part of video
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks teo. But could you say, how to increase the font size of entire sub titles in my language how to edit.
    I mean, google support phonetic language. but how to edit inside a subtitle edit software with my language is not known.
    One more problem. I used aegisub and just change the font size to double , but saving as srt, the change is lost, but if i save it as .ass form, it saves , but handbrake is not supporting any other format other than srt.
    If i convert to srt, then all changes will be lost and i could only get what it was before.
    normal srt files are too small on the tv screen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, teo,
    i have hardcoded the subtitles of my language to the video. BUt when i try to play in my tv using usb, the video plays but not subtitle.
    How, as my subtitles are now a part of the video.
    Since it is hard coded without any change, then how could it not be played , provided the video format support it by the tv
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jraju View Post
    i have hardcoded the subtitles of my language to the video. BUt when i try to play in my tv using usb, the video plays but not subtitle.
    Then obviously you did not hard code the subtitles. If you had it would be impossible for the player not to display them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Jaga, But it is true.
    I have done the subtitling thro handbrake, and mvk toolnix the same video, hoping that one would atleast show.
    the process went without any error, only thing , that i could not tuch the general options in mkv toolnix. The mkv toolnix, has doen in a couple of minutes, while handbrake took more than an hour.
    i saved and play in tv, the subtitles of my language was not shown.
    But if i play thro vlc media player, the titles are there to see without any kind of non meaning of letters of my knowledge.
    When i see subtitle, usually showing when you play subtitled videos, ithe menu itself was not available to show , that it has subtitles.
    i enclose the file by mkv tool nix, a snapshot showing subtiles , and codec information
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	codec information.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	50796  

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-11-06-16h40m57s767.png
Views:	97
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	50797  

Quote Quote  
  21. That media information image shows that Handbrake muxed the subtitles into the mkv file as a text stream -- it is not hard coded. If it was hard coded it would become part of the picture and would always show up. Just like the guys face is part of the picture and can't be turned off or on. Use the "Burn In" option for the subs in Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Jaga, i have ticked the burn in option in handbrake. I remember. Anyhow , i will try again and report
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, jaga,
    i open the video file , then mark the destination, then click subtitle, here the confusion.
    should i select import srt or add tracks.
    i selected import srt, then browse to the srt file to add, and then tick on burn in option and then start.
    Is there any miss on my part in hardcoding the subtitle.
    there is no preview , so i could not see what is happening.
    even after trying, if i play, then there is no subtitle at all in the movie
    where i miss.
    Is this free , or should i get license to get the subtitle
    Quote Quote  
  24. Use "Import SRT" on the Subtitles tab. Select "burn-in" on the SRT line:

[Attachment 50810 - Click to enlarge]

Sometimes there's another line (as pictured). That one doesn't matter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Thanks,
    one more query
    thanks for jet reply
    what presets do i have to select at right hand side of the window
    i selected the top very fast 720p30, is thre anything in it.
    Shoud i select tamil in the language .
    It is shown as English ult-8 format, if i import srt files
    Quote Quote  
  26. I've only ever burned English UTF8 subs. I'm not sure if you need to change the language and format settings. Try different settings to see which ones work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, what about the speed ,. There is no default speed it seeems.
    Thanks and will report.
    As long as the content is srt , and if there is no error, then the subtitle should embed.
    is it free or licensed one.
    When i download the x86 x64 version, it is not running in my pc, as it is 32 bit.
    please advise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, jaga,
    i followed this link for hardcoding the subtitles.
    There it was instructed to add the required language to select burn in.
    i selected tamil from it ,
    but there is no srt encoding options in the menu, when i browse.
    When i try save as in the srt file, it shows ult-8 char, so, the language and text format are appearing to be correct.
    Then should i need to select export, or could just check in the destination folder
    https://www.rev.com/blog/handbrake-subtitles-and-captions
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, is the software only supports windows 64 bit. i have downloaded it from filehipp. Edited.
    Last edited by jraju; 7th Nov 2019 at 23:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem solved. Just changed the srt to ass format and keep it in a separate folder. the tv plays the tamil subtitle wihout changing anything. Only srt files should be saved as ass format.
    Please tell me, one more thing.
    If i edit a srt file , say , change of font, it affects all the notepad text file format to this size in all saved txt files and to be done as well.
    Is there any fix, that i could change the font size of the srt files alone in some other editor.
    Quote Quote