VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Good morning,
    I need to convert 4K HDR MKV movies to 4K SDR MP4 x264 movies

I need to convert the movie to mp4 format because I need it to work in streaming via a html 5 player.

I tried to convert the movie using HandBrake, but unfortunately the result is an mp4 file with colors off and without contrast.

I read that this is due to the fact that the MKV HDR movie must be converted to SDR with a color repacking.

I was wondering what was the easiest and fastest way to convert movies with the right colors ..

Does anyone know how to help me?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen techiestuffs recommended winx video converter being able to convert 4k videos. You can have a try.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Ollie947732B View Post
    I've seen techiestuffs recommended winx video converter being able to convert 4k videos. You can have a try.
    Convert HDR to SDR?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I read that this is due to the fact that the MKV HDR movie must be converted to SDR with a color repacking.
    Only if you do care that the colors don't appear washed out when the HDR information gets ignored.

I was wondering what was the easiest and fastest way to convert movies with the right colors ..
    Aside from the mentioned tools NVEncC and ffmpeg both support converting HDR to SDR content using the gpu in case command line tools are preferred,...

About the right colors: There are no 'right' colors since SDR by nature can't show the same color spectrum as HDR and there is no 'one correct'-mapping of the HDR onto the SDR color spectrum.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote