VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While trying to install Win10 I get "We couldn't format the partition" Error Code 0x80070057. I followed the steps at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2476568/error-0x80070057-when-you-format-a-ha...nstall-windows but problem persists after a new partition is created in the last step. Is there any way to fix this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like the partition is corrupted and windows cant fix/format it,i had a similar issue and had to format it in windows disc management.Couldn't do it in the windows install format.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1 View Post
    While trying to install Win10 I get "We couldn't format the partition" Error Code 0x80070057. I followed the steps at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2476568/error-0x80070057-when-you-format-a-ha...nstall-windows but problem persists after a new partition is created in the last step. Is there any way to fix this problem?
    use this - https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html and try installing windows 10 again
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Sounds like the partition is corrupted and windows cant fix/format it,i had a similar issue and had to format it in windows disc management.Couldn't do it in the windows install format.
    The partition I'm trying to format is where I intend to reinstall Win10, and Disk Management can't be accessed until after Windows is installed. However, I daul boot Win10 and WinXP, and I tried formatting the partition from WinXP Disk Management; however, this resulted in error given, "The partition was not formatted successfully."

The link given by october26 selects Disk 1 to Clean which has a single partition. If Disk 0 were chosen, then all 3 partitions on Drive 0 would be cleaned. What if only the partition containing the C drive needed to be fixed? How would you do that?

Step 11 at https://www.lifewire.com/fix-error-code-0x80070057-4691502 says it may be necessary to replace the drive with a new one. Is it possible for a drive to be bad even after it passes a drive test? This drive passed the generic long test in Seagate Seatools shortly before this recent problem began.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1 View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The partition I'm trying to format is where I intend to reinstall Win10, and Disk Management can't be accessed until after Windows is installed. However, I daul boot Win10 and WinXP, and I tried formatting the partition from WinXP Disk Management; however, this resulted in error given, "The partition was not formatted successfully."

The link given by october26 selects Disk 1 to Clean which has a single partition. If Disk 0 were chosen, then all 3 partitions on Drive 0 would be cleaned. What if only the partition containing the C drive needed to be fixed? How would you do that?

Step 11 at https://www.lifewire.com/fix-error-code-0x80070057-4691502 says it may be necessary to replace the drive with a new one. Is it possible for a drive to be bad even after it passes a drive test? This drive passed the generic long test in Seagate Seatools shortly before this recent problem began.
    open the command prompt and type chkdsk c: /r and let that run, then try installing windows 10 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBAUXjbKS9w
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reason I was trying to reinstall Windows is that I experienced problems running Win10 which got progressively worse until I was unable to boot to Win10. Therefore I'm unable to run anything from Win10.. While I was still able to boot Win10 I did run chkdsk c: /r as well as sfc /scannow, but that didn't help the problems.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At https://www.diskgenius.com/how-to/fix-error-code-0x80070057.php I found the DiskGenius free download and decided to try using it to delete, create and format partitions. DiskGenius removed the partition and created a new one, but the new partition showed up in WinXP as corrupt and unreadable after it was formatted in DiskGenius. However, formatting the DiskGenius new partition in WinXP seemed to have put everything back to normal as the partition is now read normally. I thought hopefully Win10 will now reinstall without issue now. BTW I dual boot WinXP and Win10 which gave me the ability to do this.

Well formatting the DiskGenius new partition in WinXP did not put everything back to normal. Attempt to install Windows gave error "Can't install to Disk 0 Partition 3 because it is a MBR partition. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT partition." Windows Setup also showed same error for all partitions on Drive 0. BIOS is set for MBR system, and all partitions have always been MBR. Why Windows Setup seems to recognize the system as EFI is very puzzling.

Next I tried deleting the DiskGenius formatted partition in Windows Setup, created a new partition and attempted to formatt it which resulted in the original error 0x80070057 being given. Then I tried deleting the last 2 partitions including the partition where Windows is to be installed, created the 2 partitions anew and formatted them. The "Can't install to Disk 0 Partition 3 because it is a MBR partition. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT partition." error message disappeared and Windows installed normally.

However, that "Can't install to Disk 0 Partition 3 because it is a MBR partition. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT partition." error still appears for all partitions before the last 2 partitions in Windows Setup. This leads me to believe those partitions may be some how corrupt and possibly unreliable, and I plan to delete all partitions and create new ones to try to avoid problems from the partitions giving errors in Windows Setup. Has anyone ever heard of or know why Windows Setup would give the "Can't install to Disk 0 Partition 3 because it is a MBR partition. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT partition." when the BIOS is set for MBR and has always been set for MBR?

FYI during attempts to install Windows I noticed Drive 0 not being recognized in the BIOS on 1 or 2 restarts. I tried switching sata cables between the 2 hard drives, but that didn't fix the problem. I used new sata cables which fixed this problem. This is likely the cause of the error 0x80070057 in my first post on the original problem. In some of the searches I read bad sata cable connections can be one of the many possible causes of error 0x80070057.
    Quote Quote