Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Okay, so for whatever reason Vdub displays this :
    [Attachment 50572 - Click to enlarge]

While other software, like OBS or AmarecTV display correctly the picture :
    [Attachment 50573 - Click to enlarge]

With the same settings.

So I installed Ut Video Codec, I'm using AmarecTV.

here's the start of the video seems interlaced, MediaInfo doesn't report any info on that though
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Keller501 View Post
    here's the start of the video seems interlaced, MediaInfo doesn't report any info on that though
    Because AVI doesn't really support interlaced video flagging. That doesn't mean you can't put interlaced video in AVI. But downstream applications will usually have to be told it's interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Surely your signal is SECAM-L ?

SECAM-B was for the Middle-East, former East Germany & other places.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Because AVI doesn't really support interlaced video flagging. That doesn't mean you can't put interlaced video in AVI. But downstream applications will usually have to be told it's interlaced.
    Oh okay, so that's interlaced then.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Surely your signal is SECAM-L ?

SECAM-B was for the Middle-East, former East Germany & other places.
    I tried them all, the secam ones, no matter which one I pick it's the same result..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately that is not the only same result.

Atleast you now have a high quality capture to 'play' with.

I wish I could offer you a DV capture with my SECAM-supported ADVC-300 just to see if the video was more stable but I do not possess a SECAM vcr.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Keller501 View Post
    Okay, so for whatever reason Vdub displays this :
    Changing the display mode from Overlay to Preview should resolve this. Don't know the real cause, but I've seen it with some capture devices in VirtualDub and other programs that use the same display mode.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Secam B is right for commercial tapes (movies) and camcorder tapes (many prefered Pal anyway)
    Secam L was for tv channels in france
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Re: VHS Horizontal Stabilisation
    Originally Posted by Keller501 View Post
    Okay, so for whatever reason Vdub displays this :
    Changing the display mode from Overlay to Preview should resolve this. Don't know the real cause, but I've seen it with some capture devices in VirtualDub and other programs that use the same display mode.
    I think it is a capture card driver (or lack of support for vdub ) that's why you get picture if you use preview instead of overlay.
    The capture card is usual easycap crap clone and as others mentioned it exaggerate errors (even "time base" ones )I use to have one of those ( luckily I paid 5 euros for it) and it gave me even white sparks on some tapes ( that were not visible on other capture card) which lead me to "bad" electronics inside tv card the driver support is bad ( usually easycap drivers work) but the picture quality is nowhere near even the old capture cards. You can probably find on "ebay" or similar second market good usb ( if you need or don't use regular pc ) like avermedia, ati or old pinnacle for 5$ or less or great pci/pcx cards from the same vendors which are way better than that on the picture.
    Also it has some comparative between NXP/Phillips and Conexant (which all Easycap and clones use ) chips where Philips (good old 7134 ) chips are way more superior in picture quality than conexant ones
    Quote Quote  
  9. The video in this VCR goes through an internal video decoder/digitizer and is converted back out to analog, so it's the internal A/D chip (Panasonic an13351a ?) that is having deal with the unstable signal from the VHS tape. Any timing errors not dealt with there will already be baked in by the time it gets to the capture card, granted I doubt it would do any better job on it's on.

As mentioned you may need some sort of TBC. I have seen full image waving left and right from both the internal TBC in our NV-HS1000 SVHS deck and pioneer DVD-recorders on very jittery tapes, though that was much less severe.

I don't know what works for SECAM though. On the screenshot it looks like the sort of tearing error one would normally pass the video through a DVD-recorder, internal TBC in SVHS deck may not cut it. For that to work you would also need a different VCR (not a combo deck), as the DVD-Recorder needs the unaltered analog video signal, which you don't get with this particular VCR. Having an internal video decoder is only something some combo VCR/DVD recorders do as they need it for digitizing the video to DVD.
    Last edited by oln; 17th Oct 2019 at 19:03.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    The video in this VCR goes through an internal video decoder/digitizer and is converted back out to analog, so it's the internal A/D chip (Panasonic an13351a ?) that is having deal with the unstable signal from the VHS tape.
    Always?

Assuming OP's Toshiba RD-XV47 is roughly equivalent to RD-XV48DT shown in this YouTube video, it may work the same as Toshiba DVR630 (made by Funai). The VHS output is only digitized & TBC'd when Dubbing to digital.

I'm saying this because the OSD looks the same except without the word "Dubbing". (Removed for the French language menu?) And the menu system looks the same as my Philips DVDR3575H (also Funai).

[Attachment 50577 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 50578 - Click to enlarge]

Attached are samples comparing the two modes of the DVR630KC. When the first sample starts shaking heavily is when I started walking through the park holding the full-size VHS camcorder. The second sample shows the Funai Flicker in a few spots, particularly at the fade to black.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You're probably right, it looked like this was the case when I skimmed the service manual but looking at it again maybe the VCR output bypasses it. And yeah they seem to have the same internals as funai combos. Maybe OP could get around the issue by recording when in the "dubbing mode" as you did here to make the video go through the internal video decoder, the internal video decoder should be a fair bit better than anything you would find in an ezcap clone.
    Last edited by oln; 18th Oct 2019 at 09:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Instead, try to capture the video exactly like it is stored on the tape. The goal of the capture is to obtain a faithful reproduction of the images on that tape,
    Yes, sort of.

Folks must understand that most VCRs suck at extracting that true quality present on the tape. Whatever a cheap VCR poops out isn't necessarily the signal that was stored. A TBC is not altering/improving/etc the signal, it's correcting it as intended at record time. Hence "time base corrector". Of course, correction often does yield improvement.

Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Changing the display mode from Overlay to Preview should resolve this. Don't know the real cause
    Yes, do this.

DirectX compliance/compatibility is the cause.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem and developed my own tool (free to use) to fix such horizontal shaking in digitized videos: https://github.com/rsnitsch/vhs-deshaker

I know this thread is old but this issue keeps being posted around the internet. If you search for this issue via Google etc, this thread is one of the top results. I hope my tool helps people to fix their videos...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by rsnitsch View Post
    I had the same problem and developed my own tool (free to use) to fix such horizontal shaking in digitized videos: https://github.com/rsnitsch/vhs-deshaker
    Your source video is very interesting. I've seen a lot of tapes, but nothing that shaky yet
    Quote Quote