I get an error trying to get this:
PS G:\> youtube-dl https://youtu.be/tCRgUjK8dJU?t=152
[youtube] tCRgUjK8dJU: Downloading webpage
[youtube] tCRgUjK8dJU: Downloading video info webpage
WARNING: Requested formats are incompatible for merge and will be merged into mkv.
[download] Resuming download at byte 1049088
[download] Destination: Microbe Identification Guide-tCRgUjK8dJU.f137.mp4
[download] 3.0% of 66.45MiB at 2.27MiB/s ETA 00:28 ERROR: unable to download video data: [SSL: DECRYPTION_FAILED_OR_BAD_RECORD_MAC] decryption failed or bad record mac (_ssl.c:2178)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Thanks for that, everyone. And my apologies for not thinking of that and doing it in the first place. Sort of a normal 'first step' isn't it?
But I've found another little query related to that. I just issued the command and got a message:
PS G:\> youtube-dl -U
It looks like you installed youtube-dl with a package manager, pip, setup.py or a tarball. Please use that to update.
Well I'm not actually aware of having done that but okay.
I've actually got numerous youtube-dl.exe's strewn across all my disks.
My 'main' one is supposed to be in C:\youtubedir which I made for the job and put into the path.
That's the one I expect to be running and I know that one was not placed by any package manager.
How can I tell which one it is running?
Is that a fair enough technique - placing the .exe in a dir of its own added to the PATH ?
p.s. well I just used powershell and went to the instance of youtube-dl.exe in that dir and ran it from there. And I got that message about 'installed by package'.
well I know that's wrong.
I wonder if that hassle could be anything to do with the ongoing problem I have with this win10 install which won't allow installation of Google Earth? It wouldn't allow Malwarebytes in either until I ran the Malwarebytes fixer tool thing and it fixed it and got MBAM installed - unfortunately I can't discover what it did.
Last edited by abrogard; 13th Oct 2019 at 16:23.
I renamed it was the easiest way.
But finally figured out the system was finding youtube-dl from C:\Python\scripts. So I had to put my 'special' dir higher up the pathlist to get used first. Hopefully that won't screw up the Python thing whenever it calls youtube-dl for whatever it does, whenever... If I find something screwing up all the time that could come from there I guess I'll just have to work with a renamed youtube-dl. That'd be okay too I guess.
I've got the latest version. I got the file downloaded. thanks very much for the help.