VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, Newby here. If I'm in the wrong place please let me know. Also, I know just a bit above nothing about this stuff.
    I recorded an AVI video but the cam apparently crashed before the meta (header) data was calculated and saved. The video plays fine on VLC. Even though all 3 minutes of the video plays, the time bar at the bottom of the screen shows it is an 8 second video. Also, when I right click on the file in windows explorer to get file properties, general shows 22 MB, but the details tab is completely blank.
    I have other videos taken with the same cam that processed properly. They all play and the property details are complete...height, width, etc.
    I have a program called HxD where I can see the Hex data and the differences between one of the good AVIs and the bad one.
    I have loaded several "AVI Repair" programs but they say there is a problem and can't download or repair.
    OK, now to what I need. The file needs to be joined with others but the joining software says there is a problem with the header and can't complete the task. Is there anyway I can calculate the # frames,width, height, file size, run time, and everything else that needs to be in the header (and probably indexing) so I can create a new header to make this thing work?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. One other note...GSpot says found bad length value 56 at file offset 0x00000001c if that helps any.
    Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Play it with VLC and use OBS or something and do a screen recording, saving it as a different file (which should be NORMAL).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks Cornucopia. What's OBS? I'm trying to keep the same resolution as the other joined video for this presentation from the same cam which is pretty high.
    Quote Quote  
  5. OBS studio seems to be a screen capture software. Is that right?
    Quote Quote  
  6. If VLC plays the file properly try remuxing it using VLC's conversion tool. Media -> Convert/Save. Set Video and Audio to Keep Original... Select the container you want. Save.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks jagabo. I've opened the convert/save, but I don't see the Keep Original Button. I checked for updates and I have the current. It did resave but still no details properties. When I brought it into Replay Joiner, the file name says AVI but joiner says its a mp4. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    See what mediainfo says about the file. Put it in text view and post the info here
    Quote Quote  
  9. VLC
    File -> Convert/Save
    Add file... select the source video
    Press Convert/Save button.
    The Profile you use doesn't much matter because you aren't encoding anything.
    Press the little Wrench button on the Profile line.
    Encapsulation tab: pick container (some may not work, you'll have to try a few different ones)
    Video Codec Tab: Keep Original Video Track
    Audio Codec Tab: Keep Original Audio Track
    Press Save button at the bottom of the dialog.
    Set the Destination File.
    Press Start button.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'VE UPLOADED (I THINK) THE METAINFO FOR THE WORKING (GOOD HEADER) AND NOT WORKING (STILL PLAYS BUT BAD HEADER). DOES THIS HELP? i DID TRY USING VLC CONVERTER SEVERAL TIMES BUT NO MATTER WHAT I DID, THE JOINER WOULD NOT, WELL, JOIN.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It may be impossible to get them to join "natively" but if you don't mind re-encoding the files shouldn't be a problem as
    long as they are playable
    Quote Quote  
  12. OK, I bit the bullet and used VLC to convert all of the files to the same format. I lost a little quality but am now able to join and manipulate. Thanks to all who made suggestions. I don't see a "Solved" button but this is solved!!
    Quote Quote