VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Why do the full Blurays look more vivid and brightful than their h264 recoded counterparts? This is even more apparent with 3D Blurays and SBS or TB recodes, no matter what the source.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you watching your reencoded h.264 videos on the same TV, from the same Blu-ray player? If your systems are reasonably well calibrated they should look the same. Or maybe you screwed up your h.264 encodings.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Same player, same laptop. I'm using PowerDVD 18 if that matters. Maybe the program enhances Bluray playing?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by slit View Post
    Why do the full Blurays look more vivid and brightful than their h264 recoded counterparts? This is even more apparent with 3D Blurays and SBS or TB recodes, no matter what the source.
    What settings are you using to re-encode? You can't expect to start with a lossy source, transcode it to another lossy source and then have it look the same.

Further, if you're using those silly psy optimizations, especially psy-rd, they are known to screw with chroma relative to luma as a way of "saving" bit rate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    What settings are you using to re-encode? You can't expect to start with a lossy source, transcode it to another lossy source and then have it look the same.

Further, if you're using those silly psy optimizations, especially psy-rd, they are known to screw with chroma relative to luma as a way of "saving" bit rate.
    No special settings whatsoever. I'm using BD3D2MK3D mostly to transcode (maybe re-encode wasn't the proper term) from unprotected Bluray iso to mkv with the default settings, only adjusting CRF from 23 to 18 and setting a high 4.1 profile.

What I'm seeing is a tint or color shift of sorts and a lesser brightness when I play mkvs compared to the same Bluray iso images.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Extract one of the m2ts files from a blu-ray disc and remux it as an MKV file. That way there will be no reencoding. How does that MKV compare to playing the original disc? That will tell you if there's a difference between the way PowerDVD plays discs and MKV files. It sounds to me like you have a rec.601 vs. rec.709 problem. And maybe a PC levels vs. video levels too.
    Quote Quote