VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I remember being told back in the days that black bars should always be cropped when encoding videos, and while it makes sense to remove anything useless to improve compression I wonder if it truly is the wisest thing to do, specifically when it comes to subtitles. Take a look at those screenshots

Source material
    [Attachment 50378 - Click to enlarge]

After encoding, with cropping
    [Attachment 50379 - Click to enlarge]

Obviously, the black bars allow for better placement and legibility of the subtitles, so... is cropping bad in that case?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You might also want to look at those two files if you run them in fullscreen on a display that isn't 4:3,...
    (personally I would crop)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    You might also want to look at those two files if you run them in fullscreen on a display that isn't 4:3,...
    This result in the exact same placement. Maybe other players wouldn't mind placing subtitles outside of the video frame, but MPC-HC does not. I don't believe the former is even possible.
    Quote Quote  
  4. This result in the exact same placement.
    The subtitle placement might be the same, but the upper image will have black bars on all sides while the second one should only have black bars on the left&right if at all.
    Maybe other players wouldn't mind placing subtitles outside of the video frame, but MPC-HC does not. I don't believe the former is even possible.
    I don't want to mess with your believe system, but last I checked if you are using the internal subtitle renderer of MPC-(HC) you can uncheck:
    "MPC Options -> Subtitles -> Default Style -> Screen Alignment & margins -> Position subtitles relative to the video frame"
    and on full screen the subtitles will be shown at the bottom of the screen not at the bottom of the original frame.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    The subtitle placement might be the same, but the upper image will have black bars on all sides while the second one should only have black bars on the left&right if at all.
    I suppose you meant 16:9 and not 4:3 in your previous post then. Because the source material is 16:9, so it doesn't introduce black bars on a 16:9 screen. But I get your meaning, and it makes sense. Typically a 4:3 source would be problematic in that way.

Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    I don't want to mess with your believe system, but last I checked if you are using the internal subtitle renderer of MPC-(HC) you can uncheck:
    "MPC Options -> Subtitles -> Default Style -> Screen Alignment & margins -> Position subtitles relative to the video frame"
    and on full screen the subtitles will be shown at the bottom of the screen not at the bottom of the original frame.
    For whatever reason this actually does not work, and yet I am using the internal renderer. I'll have to check if Kodi has a similar option, as I'm using it about as much as MPC.

EDIT: Oh I know why, this doesn't work for vobsubs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I suppose you meant 16:9 and not 4:3 in your previous post then. Because the source material is 16:9, so it doesn't introduce black bars on a 16:9 screen.
    Your first screenshot is not 16:9. Yes, the active picture in it is, but not the picture itself (it has fat black bars at the top and bottom), thus your source is 4:3.

EDIT: Oh I know why, this doesn't work for vobsubs.
    That might be, I rarely use idx/sub subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Your first screenshot is not 16:9. Yes, the active picture in it is, but not the picture itself (it has fat black bars at the top and bottom), thus your source is 4:3.
    Well, it's not. The video frame (yes, black bars included) is 1024x576 that's 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You can edit VobSubs (IDX/SUB) to have the subs play lower on the screen. You can easily make them as low as in the upper picture.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You can edit VobSubs (IDX/SUB) to have the subs play lower on the screen. You can easily make them as low as in the upper picture.
    But then they appear offscreen unless the player is maximized or fullscreen, wouldn't they? It's a bit of a dilemma here. I noticed that SUP files had an absolute positioning too, and if they are on the source overlapping with the black bars then it was necessary to move them upward to prevent just this problem. I wish there was a way for SUB and SUP to specify a relative screen position but it doesn't appear to work that way.
    Quote Quote