VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone, so I'm really not good with everything related to internet etc that's why I need your help

I have a device that need wifi to work, but the huge problem that I didn't see coming is that he's not compatible with 5 Ghz and my router of course is 5 Ghz...
    Then I had to change some settings of my router, I activated the 2.4 Ghz and desactivated the 5 Ghz but even after all this, my device show "Not compatible with 5 Ghz"

If I changed the 5 Ghz into 2.4 Ghz then why it's still not working? How can I resolve this?

Thanks for reading
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a smartphone that you can test to see if there's a 2.4 ghz connection?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by WazaKrash View Post
    Hello everyone, so I'm really not good with everything related to internet etc that's why I need your help

I have a device that need wifi to work, but the huge problem that I didn't see coming is that he's not compatible with 5 Ghz and my router of course is 5 Ghz...
    Then I had to change some settings of my router, I activated the 2.4 Ghz and desactivated the 5 Ghz but even after all this, my device show "Not compatible with 5 Ghz"

If I changed the 5 Ghz into 2.4 Ghz then why it's still not working? How can I resolve this?

Thanks for reading
    Please provide some useful details...
    If your device support only 802.11bgn and not support 802.11a/ac then it should be not a problem for your AP (unless your AP using some weird, very aggressive bandsteering - not in-line with 802.11v - some weird STA blacklisting). I can imagine some misconfiguration on your side so definitely more details is absolute must to solve your issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Do you have a smartphone that you can test to see if there's a 2.4 ghz connection?
    Yes I have one

"Please provide some useful details..."
    Like I said, I'm really lost with all this, so what do you want as details ?
    The device I'm talking about is a camera and should I make a screen capture of my router settings?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Make & model #s, etc. Not just the router, but the device(s) in question...

Also, routers that support both 2.4 and 5 GHz are not mutually exclusive, IOW, you can use BOTH. I do at my house all the time. They don't conflict or interfere with each other (as they're on diff. freq. ranges, obviously by their name). They are internally connected, so if you have a device on one and a device on the other, the router can be a bridge for these 2 (and also for any wired connected) local networks.
    If you tried something and it still said not available, you may not have "applied" the change.
    If you continue to have issues, you may need to do a factory reset and start from scratch, or a firmware update, etc.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Also, routers that support both 2.4 and 5 GHz are not mutually exclusive, IOW, you can use BOTH. I do at my house all the time. They don't conflict or interfere with each other (as they're on diff. freq. ranges, obviously by their name).
    Same here. I have 2 PCs with network cards which use 5GHz, and one PC plus other devices which use 2.4GHz. They can all communicate with each other wirelessly due to the router acting as an intermediary.

I have 2 wireless connections (using different names) set up on the router, one for 5GHz and one for 2.4GHz.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have up to 15 devices in my house from time to time, a mixture of 5GHz and 2.4GHz and hard wired. No conflicts
    You need to provide the following information.

Name, make and model number of the Router

Name, make and model number of the Device
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So I have a livebox pro v3

and the device is an Advisen IP camera (who work only with 2,4 Ghz)

I installed the required Advisen app on my tablet to make the camera work but when I'm going to conclude the configuration, it show "not compatible with 5 Ghz" and I can do nothing with the cam.

Here is what I have when I changed the 5 Ghz into 2,4 Ghz (this is the livebox settings)

[Attachment 50370 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 50371 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by WazaKrash; 21st Jan 2020 at 01:35.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well... i can only guess due French language but - seem your router (or rather access point) on 5GHz support only a and n mode - this uncommon nowadays and perhaps reason why you can't use 5GHz on your device - i assume your device use ac mode and may not support AP with only a+n mode.
    To reduce length of thread - please consider to buy something more modern. Disable wifi in your router and try to connect new AP trough wire - if your router is provided by your ISP then try to set bridge mode without activating wifi. Another option is using wifi extender capable to work in AP mode.
    Your livebox is really old and it may be primary source of your problems.

btw due of security WPS should be disabled.

2.4GHz is usually very crowded - try to disable auto channel selection and manually select best channel.

there also other big topic - multicast support over wifi - not all devices support multicasting on wifi - i bet if you hook your camera with cable then it will work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the delay and yes it's been a while, not so long after your answers, I tested the camera in a friend's house with his smartphone and his internet connection.
    Basically, the cam worked.

Like Pandy said, I was then forced to change my router (I had to reset the camera too) and after adjusting the settings to have both 2.4/5 Ghz, I re-installed my camera but I got
    some troubles again... And I still don't know why.

I tried to install it several times but I still got the "Not compatible with 5 Ghz" message on my tablet, so I tried countless of times again... I even resetted my camera 3 times.
    Finally and of course without knowing why, after the 4th resetting, it suddenly worked, the camera connected to my router and it work great AT LAST.

And I hope that it will still continue to work...
    Quote Quote