VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/radiumcity

If i buy this will I be able to stream it through VLC?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Average video editor Sviests's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With streamlink or youtube-dl you can stream it through VLC. Might need to pass login details for it to get the full video instead of trailer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Sviests View Post
    With streamlink or youtube-dl you can stream it through VLC. Might need to pass login details for it to get the full video instead of trailer.
    Why do i need youtube dl with VLC, won't VLC stream
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Once you have authorization to play the video, just view the source of the vimeo player page. In the source will be the url to the hls manifest, and also probably a url to a http progressive mp4 source.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Average video editor Sviests's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    @ponens, that won't always be the case. I have encountered with vimeo dash videos (not all are HLS) (that are sort of encrypted) and although VLC can play .mpd manifests it can't read the license keys. Thus youtube-dl is needed to get it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    It is the case for this particular video.

The trailer for Radium City (h..ps://player.vimeo.com/video/166116025) will play in the browser using dash, but the player source page also has hls and mp4. This is also the case for the non-trailer version of Radium City.

It may be the case that some vimeo videos are dash only {meaning that the vimeo api (or player source page) will not provide a hls or progressive source}, but I have never seen one. I'll take your word that there are some, but Radium City is not one of them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ponens View Post
    It is the case for this particular video.

The trailer for Radium City (h..ps://player.vimeo.com/video/166116025) will play in the browser using dash, but the player source page also has hls and mp4. This is also the case for the non-trailer version of Radium City.

It may be the case that some vimeo videos are dash only {meaning that the vimeo api (or player source page) will not provide a hls or progressive source}, but I have never seen one. I'll take your word that there are some, but Radium City is not one of them.
    how can you see the non trailer source page?
    Last edited by David Banner; 30th Sep 2019 at 14:52.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    If logged in and authorized to play the video, the;
    "h..ps://player.vimeo.com/video/..."
    player url will have trailing parameter values.

You should be able to easily see such player url in the network traffic (developer tools) when you are logged in and authorized to play the video.

Cookies are also set in the browser when logged in and authorized to play the video, but no action is required to use these. Only the full player url with the parameters is needed.
    Quote Quote