VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. 1080p50 is not Blu-ray compatible. Blu-ray is 720p50 or 1080i25.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Wooo, that's the news. My dilemma is solved then. Never wondered they left that format out from the standard.
    Quote Quote  
  3. This all comes back to early HD broadcast production standards. 1080i25 and 720p50 as uncompressed video require about the same bandwidth. 1080p50 would have required twice as much. As a quick approximation:

Code:
    1280 x  720 * 50 =   46,080,000 pixels per second
    1920 x 1080 * 25 =   51,936,000 pixels per second
    1920 x 1080 * 50 =  103,680,000 pixels per second
    The first two were chosen so as not to stress production equipment at the dawn of HD broadcast. Blu-ray stuck with those standards.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    Wooo, that's the news. My dilemma is solved then. Never wondered they left that format out from the standard.
    Because Blu-Ray was not meant to be for folks out there in the first place. Us. It is meant to be for major corps out there, their delivery systems, their business. They even deliberately blocked Sony's HDV format so user could not simply use it for BD. It changed much later. Folks tend to think it is for them. Lets name things as they are. Remember WDTV players emerging 10 years ago, that hallelujah moment? Playing HDV videos, H264 encodes, opensource formats passing it to old CRT's etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    But is there any storage format that is meant for 1080p50 videos? Besides files and streaming. I haven't heard of any, only that AD disc that I don't even know if it's already released or not.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Storage format is data. You can put any data on disk (optical or hardrive) and then do something with it later.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    But is there any storage format that is meant for 1080p50 videos? Besides files and streaming. I haven't heard of any, only that AD disc that I don't even know if it's already released or not.
    If you mean official storage format similar to DVD-video , BD - yes UHD BD supports it up to 3840×2160p59.94. Both AVC and HEVC

"AVCHD 2.0" discs support it too, but it's limited to 28Mb/s . BD players that have "AVCHD 2.0" logo can play them back, both as authored disc or as as files

You need L4.2 AVC for 1080p50/59.94. Many newer TV's (last 3-4 years) support this with USB playback. Newer BD models support it as well (but not officially as authored BD disc, only as files)

Most common , low cost for 1080p50/59.94 would be web streaming
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Storage format is data. You can put any data on disk (optical or hardrive) and then do something with it later.
    That's true, LOL, but I would like to do something with it now.
    Quote Quote