VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    A couple of recent reviews state that PotPlayer removed HEVC support and that HEVC capable graphics cards are now required to play HEVC media.

I did have PotPlayer on 10 PCs but dumped it once they added ads and malware to the product. However, upon reading these comments I decided to add PotPlayer to my test PC, and sure enough it doesn't play HEVC media.

I have a range of graphics cards from GTX 1060 to GTX 1080 Ti and GTX 1660 Ti's. The test PC runs a GTX 16660 Ti.

So, what exactly is needed to play all forms of HEVC media (Eg SDR, HDR, etc). Couldn't find anything on their FAQ.

thanks
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe using an older version of Potplayer?
    Quote Quote  
  3. [1.7.20538] 2019/09/19
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    * Changed default HEVC decoder to Built-in FFmpeg HEVC H/W Decoder
    Changelog says it just changed the default settings

Couldn't you just change the settings in the preferences ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you read the review is says they removed the support for SW decoding of HEVC. But, I'll give it a try in the morning. I did lay with a few settings earlier but nothing worked. Maybe I just missed the correct settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried Potplayer a few minutes ago. Actually, a strange thing when my Potplayer did the auto-update. My Avira antivirus blocked something during update.
    Downloaded latest version from here (Videohelp software), disabled Avira's real time protection temporarily and installation went smooth.
    Indeed, a "No HEVC support" pop-up appeared when trying to play a HEVC mkv-video.

I looked into the settings --> Filter Control --> Video Decoder --> HEVC: clicked the three dots. This opens a video configuration window and under Available Video Decoders, at H265/HEVC, I changed from "Built-in FFmpeg Decoder (Recommended)" to "FFmped64.dll" and everything is working fine again now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand why Duam want to disable HEVC support by default. I guess they have their reasons (Though I'm starting to doubt their sanity after adding malware to the installer).

I changed the settings as above and it does indeed solve the problem.

But I am still curious about the comment made by @Yonta that a HEVC capable GPU is required to play HEVC. Perhaps he/she would like to clarify the comment?

Let's imagine that Duam completely pulls software support for HEVC from PotPlayer (eg. FFmped64.dll is no longer an option). What then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, it's not "FFmped64.dll"

It should be "FFmpeg64.dll"

A small typo, sorry

When you look at the changelog of PotPlayer, it says:

* Changed default HEVC decoder to Built-in FFmpeg HEVC H/W Decoder

The default settings "Built-in FFmpeg Decoder (Recommended)" doesn't mention the H/W-part and would suggest SW decoding, I can imagine.

Another thing: In the main preference window --> Filter Control --> --> Video Decoder, next to HEVC, I just tried the dropdown-box (arrow) and chose "System Default".

This works also (on my pc, that is), but don't ask me what (my) system default would be. I wouldn't know.
    I'd love to know, however. Is there a way to understand/show/know/edit default system settings, anybody?
    Last edited by Ennio; 30th Sep 2019 at 04:21.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It is not that they removed HEVC support, they cannot include stuff that has copyright on their main installers .. It has to be assed with an addon pack like opencodecs

In the case of System Default, you could have LAV Filters or a silmilar codecpack that does a similar job for you

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    In the case of System Default, you could have LAV Filters or a silmilar codecpack that does a similar job for you
    I absolutely can imagine, but how to tell what my default settings are?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Ennio Yes an old version would work. PotPlayer was pretty reliable. The last version I used had the occational hang and sync issue but was pretty reliable.

I actually don't use PotPlayer anymore at all since they added the malware to the installer. I was just curious when I read that HEVC, which is becoming more prevalent by the day, was disabled [by default] in a player that touts itself as supporting the latest technologies. Why on earth would you disable [by default] such support?

@teodz1984 I do have lav filters installed, but only because it's installed for AVStoDVD, and I did installed the OpenCodecs as part of the potplayer installation, but apart from that I don't install any codec packs.

So HEVC is not free/GPL of any sort, so like bluray decoding - it's licensed and requires royalties? Bummer!

I have also re-enabled the HEVC video support via DISM that Microsoft in their wisdom (cough) decided to remove from 1709 upwards. Licensing must be cheap because if you have a M$ Store account you can still get the codecs for free.

Personally, with the exception of Security patches, I don't upgrade software very often. Once a year I rollout the latest version of Windows which will include the latest version of each program, and that's only after several months of testing, but other than that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    Quote Quote  
  11. potplayer can use lav filters as video audio and splitter.. All you have to do is go to preferences
    Filter Control
    Source Filter
    Scan
    Check in the list

Do the same for
    Filter Control
    Video Codecs
    Scan
    Check in the list

Filter Control
    Audio Codecs

Scan
    Check in the list

As I've been advocating in the past use the portable version here:

https://portableappz.blogspot.com/2019/09/potplayer-1720538-32-64-bit-multilingual.htm

Quote Quote  
  12. Hello,
    I couldn't open the HEVC videos. I e-mailed the authorities. The answer is in the attached picture.

I've installed LAV Filters as in the answer. And my problem is solved. Very easy to install. I am using the portable version and have installed Portable LAV Filters.

I also installed the MadVR code. But I didn't see much difference. The picture quality improves when you play with the settings, but this time the video performance decreases.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	3500
Size:	627.5 KB
ID:	51193  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This thread jinxed me, up until reading this thread I've never had a problem playing videos then my next downloaded series I had the problem... Go Figure!.
    the solution of changing the settings to using "FFmpeg64.dll" doesn't work for me, probably as I do not install additional codecs in the installation process.
    My solution is to simply put the videos through Handbrake and convert them, just takes a few minutes for each program.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    I just tried Potplayer a few minutes ago. Actually, a strange thing when my Potplayer did the auto-update. My Avira antivirus blocked something during update.
    Downloaded latest version from here (Videohelp software), disabled Avira's real time protection temporarily and installation went smooth.
    Indeed, a "No HEVC support" pop-up appeared when trying to play a HEVC mkv-video.

I looked into the settings --> Filter Control --> Video Decoder --> HEVC: clicked the three dots. This opens a video configuration window and under Available Video Decoders, at H265/HEVC, I changed from "Built-in FFmpeg Decoder (Recommended)" to "FFmped64.dll" and everything is working fine again now.
    Thanks. That worked. It's odd that my RTX 2060 doesn't decode certain files with the supported decoder. I've been using VideoProc to reduce the size of rendered files just for distribution purposes because of the smaller file sizes as compared to h.264 but it doesn't support it. So, it looks like I'll have to use the CPU if I'm using FFmpeg64.
    Quote Quote  
  15. same problem. i have latest version of PP 200616 (1.7.21233) and can't play h265 video...
    try to change Video Decoder filter, as says Ennio to post #5 but not find on my PP FFmped64.dll alternative (i have only Built-in FFmpeg Decoder)
    now how to solve this problem?

to solution on post #13 (convert video with Handbrake or similar: final converted video it is always bigger than the original (as dimension) and the quality isn't necessarily better... rather... so better not convert but have the necessary codec to play this video!

try also to download and install OpenCodecSetup64.exe but same result: video can't play!
    Last edited by lomero; 12th Jul 2020 at 03:08.
    Quote Quote  
  16. oh yes! find solution...!
    after install OpenCodec (in particular what you need is the FFmpeg64) now from settings --> Filter Control --> Video Decoder --> HEVC: three dots. on configuration window and under Available Video Decoders, at H265/HEVC, i changed from "Built-in FFmpeg Decoder (Recommended)" to "FFmpeg64.dll" and everything is working fine again now!

(as Ennio says on your post #5, but must be installed PP OpenCodec otherwise there is no possibility to change FFmpeg module).
    cheers to everybody!
    Quote Quote  
  17. A summary of the solutions given here, and which one worked for me:

Solution 1
    Prefs > Filter Control > Video Decoder > HEVC > System Default

—Didn't work for me

Solution 2
    Prefs > Filter Control > Video Decoder > HEVC > ... > Available Video Decoders > H.265/HEVC > FFmpeg64.dll

—There was no FFmpeg64.dll option so I couldn't do it!

Solution 3
    Convert the files using Handbrake

—No way I'm converting files and destroying quality just because PotPlayer won't play them!

Solution 4
    Install LAV-Filters

—I have no idea what LAV-Filters actually does, but I installed it with all the default settings and IT WORKED!

Thanks again, Videohelp community!
    Quote Quote