VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm in Australia and have a 240-v NEC NTSC Playback vcr connected to a Sony Bravia NTSC tv I brought from the U.S. Via an adapter, the tv's power is 19.5 v DC from 240-v 50-Hz line current. Playback of U.S. VHS tapes produces black and white video only. Silly me, I assumed an "NTSC" vcr could play NTSC VHS tapes to an NTSC tv. Can anyone explain why the video is only black and white?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Model #s...?

Scott7
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your VCR probably isn't an NTSC VCR but rather a PAL VCR. Most PAL VCRs can play NTSC tapes. But when they do so they output a signal that has NTSC timing on the luma but PAL chroma -- called PAL60. PAL TVs understand that signal and will play it properly -- with full color. An NTSC TV understands the luma but not the chroma. Hence a greyscale picture.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Model is a NEC VH-604.
    Thank you, jagabo. I read about PAL 60 but didn't see an explanation why black and white only was produced.
    I reckon the vcr has the label "NTSC Playback" on the front because NEC assumes if it's 240 v, then you must be in a PAL country like Australia and are connecting to a PAL tv.
    Last edited by Communer; 29th Sep 2019 at 00:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    NTSC playback in a PAL country is rarely a problem.
    PAL playback in an NTSC country is almost ALWAYS a problem.
    It has nothing to do with voltage by the way.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Communer View Post
    The Model is a NEC VH-604.
    Thank you, jagabo. I read about PAL 60 but didn't see an explanation why black and white only was produced.
    I reckon the vcr has the label "NTSC Playback" on the front because NEC assumes if it's 240 v, then you must be in a PAL country like Australia and are connecting to a PAL tv.
    But don't you have a PAL TV you can view the tape with? That should display the picture properly. From the VH-602 manual (probably similar):

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1100993/Nec-Vh-602.html?page=2#manual

NTSC PLAYBACK ON PAL CTV Allows you to play NTSC video tapes from overseas on most brands of colour television receivers capable of resolving at 60 Hz video signal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Your VCR probably isn't an NTSC VCR but rather a PAL VCR. Most PAL VCRs can play NTSC tapes. But when they do so they output a signal that has NTSC timing on the luma but PAL chroma -- called PAL60. PAL TVs understand that signal and will play it properly -- with full color. An NTSC TV understands the luma but not the chroma. Hence a greyscale picture.
    My thought exactly, which is why I wanted the model #s.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I have a PAL tv. I can play my tapes now that I have connected the vcr to the proper tv. I first tried the NTSC Bravia because I was unaware of the chrominance signal difference. I wrongly assumed that because both devices are "NTSC" that compensatory circuitry was included that would provide the complete viewing experience. Live and learn.
    Thank you for the manual link.
    Quote Quote