VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have 1500 Files (35TB) of Movies (all in mkv format) and due to a faulty server I had to change the location of my files while transferring the files one of the RAID drives (RAID 0) became foreign state. Although using robocopy the movie directories in the new server shows the same amount of files and the same size. I believe some of my MKV files have been damaged - problem is, i don't know which, i just know there's some. So checking them one by one will take a long time.

The issues I'm noticing, are:
    - Video glitches (colors getting messed up and picture not 'updating')
    - Playback stops (i.e. stops in the middle of playback)
    - Duration is messed up (i.e.: supposed to be 1h30m, but is only 20m)

So I need some way to scan them all for errors.

I thought remuxing the movies would show me the errors. But I don't know how to use a batch file to do that.

I have MKVtoolnix installed in the directory: C:\Program Files\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe
    I have the Movies in the folder H:\Shares\Cinema1. and all the movies are in their respective subfolders.

I had also learnt on the net that eac3to could check the files for any damages. Is that an option.

Could anyone please guide me.

Thanks you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why were you storing these files on a RAID0? You are paying the price for that now.

You can use something like AMT - Auto-Movie-Thumbnailer to create thumbnails of your videos, which will then show large amounts of black on damaged scenes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Perhaps R-Studio could successfully reconstruct the original RAID structure and then extract the original files flawlessly...
    I've never used that particular feature, but this otherwise excellent recovery software is supposedly able to deal with a corrupted RAID setup. See this for instance.

(Indeed RAID 0 sounds like a very bad idea for simple – and huge – storage purposes, in a case where speed is not an issue.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. I thought remuxing the movies would show me the errors. But I don't know how to use a batch file to do that.
    I have MKVtoolnix installed in the directory: C:\Program Files\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe
    I have the Movies in the folder H:\Shares\Cinema1. and all the movies are in their respective subfolders.
    If I made no mistake this should work :
    Code:
    FOR /R "H:\Shares\Cinema1" %F in (*.mkv) DO "C:\Program Files\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe" -o "%~dpnF_remuxed.mkv" "%F"
    (For each MKV file it will create a remuxed MKV file with the same name plus “_remuxed”.)
    (With mkvmerge, the output must be named before the input in the command line – that's kinda stupid but that's how it is.)
    (If running the command from the command prompt, use one percent sign, if running it from a batch file, use two, e.g. %%F instead of %F.)
    (“F” can be any letter of the roman alphabet so long as it's same everywhere with the same case type.)
    (For a clear and thorough explanation regarding parameters and parameters extensions, type “FOR /?”, or read this and this.)

They may very well turn out to be all corrupted...
    Quote Quote