VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm considering moving over to VirtualDub2 after quite a few years with VirtualDub 1.9.11.
    There's a frustrating issue with the interface that should be obvious to fix, but I just can't figure out where the setting is.
    In VirtualDub 1.9, the video stretches to fit the pane size. In VirtualDub 2 it crops the video, either centered or top left. See attachment.
    Is there really no setting to use the old style?

I do a lot of tinkering with deinterlacing, cropping, rescaling, that kind of stuff. Fiddly geometric stuff that often shouldn't be cropped (in interface) and needs a lot of vertical space without regards to aspect ratio.
    On my quests to fix horribly broken videos I've ended up with resolutions that are *5120x180*, and they're absolutely invisible if I can't scale them vertically.
    (Loooots of field unfolding, you can read the nightmare at the bottom of the post.)
    It's real hard to see what's supposed to be 1,78:1 video when it's assumed to be square-pixel 28,44:1!

In case you're wondering what nightmare project this is, although it probably belongs in a separate thread:

I have video scaled from 1920x1080i25 video to 1280x720p25 without deinterlacing first!
    Lines 1 and 2 are blended from both fields by a ratio of ~75% bottom field and ~25% top field, and lines 3/4 are blended 75/25% top/bottom (it repeats for all lines).
    It looks interlaced/combed, but since the lines are actually 2 by 2 instead of single lines it obviously can't be deinterlaced correctly. If deinterlacing (YADIF 2x) could be done 2 by 2 lines, you would get (almost) 720p50, with just 25% of the other field blended through. To my logic that seems the absolute most you could get.

Now
    (1280x720@25)
    Line 1: Second field
    Line 2: Second field
    Line 3: First field
    Line 4: First field
    And so on.

The result should be (might be):
    (1280x720@50)
    First frame:
    Line 1: Interpolated
    Line 2: Interpolated
    Line 3: First field
    Line 4: First field
    Second frame:
    Line 1: Second field
    Line 2: Second field
    Line 3: Interpolated
    Line 4: Interpolated
    And so on.

I've gotten to 1280x360p50 (anamorphic) by just downscaling and deinterlacing, but that has unnecessary resolution loss. Nothing's ever good enough for me.
    So far I feel like I'm *most* of the way to getting to 1280x720p50, albeit with twice the temporal blur and lots of combing, so I'm not quite there yet.

I ended up with a video at 5120x180 by unfolding the "fields" twice, to separate the 2 by 2 fields completely. The goal is to interpolate the missing "fields" line by line, almost like YADIF 2x, and refold the mess into almost 720p50.

Filter stack mess thus far:
    interpolate x2 (could go wherever)
    deinterlace, unfold, keep bottom
    deinterlace, unfold, keep bottom
    deinterlace, fold, keep top
    deinterlace, fold, keep top.

I'm missing some clever filter to offset two of four lines by 1 frame, my best option right now is to render the video out after the two unfolds, split it in two, join them back together with one half offset in time by 1 frame, and then refold twice.

I believe VirtualDub2 might slightly simplify some of this...

Oh, and if it works, I have ideas for doing this to 480i/576i mess ups later, which for the same reason repeats a (wavy-lines) pattern every 30 lines...
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PaneLayout.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	50317  

Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Goggen240 View Post
    Right click on a pane and select Free Adjust.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Goggen240 View Post
    Right click on a pane and select Free Adjust.
    Huh.
    I've been using VirtualDub for more than 10 years and didn't know you could right-click the display panes.

Thank you for telling me!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Long time user of Virtualdub and never knew this! Thank you thank you!
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote