VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I was just at my favored Fry's location, and it was something of a shock. I've never seen so many of their shelves bare before. Anyone going in to find particular items from their weekly ads would have been puzzled, and would have left empty-handed. So I asked what the problem was, and might this be a sign that they were about to go out of business ? (We do know that Amazon has just been killing off various competitors right & left.) They said 'No', it's just that they were in a major process of changing vendors and distribution. Should all get sorted out within a month, they said. But I had my doubts.

Having bare shelves this close to the holidays can't be a good thing, for any business that is striving to remain viable. One could always order from their online unit, but that cuts out browsing, impulse buys, and a lot of other things driving a bottom line.

The other weird thing I noticed from my recent visit was that they were running a skeleton crew. Hardly any of the usual personnel to be seen, and just a couple cashiers. First time I EVER found no employee at the door on the way OUT, insisting on inspecting your receipt, and drawing that blue marker line across it !

Almost no one else has anything close to their selection of in-store electronics items that you can browse. I've also picked up some components that can be used for the pinball machines there, all manner of computer stuff, some office supplies, etc. I'd hate to lose them as an option.

Then, a quick check online turned up

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/67191/frys-electronics-stores-soon-close-seeing-same-fa...rus/index.html

which tends to support my worst thoughts about this.

I'm now thinking that that "official" story they gave me by way of explanation -- an interim change of vendors and distribution channels -- was entirely bullshit ! Trying to put a brave face on things, for the public.

It wouldn't surprise me if the sales associates that I knew there in a few departments (like the networking dept., or the TV dept.) had all been given their walking papers. Some of them were good -- at least at this location -- and had been there for many years.

The thing is, our options continue shrinking. In those few (office) categories that overlap, if you go to Office Depot or Staples instead -- and those two have closed a lot of stores also, relative to what once was -- what you were looking for usually costs notably more. For example, my favorite 22 lb. bond that I use in various printers was no longer stocked by anyone else. Frys had it in stock sporadically, for $8. / 500 sheet pack. OD can order it, but will charge $15. for the same pack. Best Buy may soldier on, as I think they may have sounder financial underpinnings. (?) For computer stuff and general electronics, it could soon be that Micro Centre is the last man standing . . . ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found things the same here (SoCal) Fry's. They had '3' usb hdds, no internals, where theres usually 50 feet of hdds/ssds. Talked to people in tech dept, (where they add ram hdds etc, + repair), they said ALL vendors are renegotiating new contracts with Frys.

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A bit of follow-up and confirmation:

https://www.whittierdailynews.com/2019/10/07/frys-electronics-hanging-on-but-for-how-long/

Someone I know speculated as to whether this (demise of competition) would drive up prices at Best Buy ?

And I'm wondering if this trend may claim Micro Centre as well ? Their store is already at an impractical distance for me, for anything but essential and very infrequent visits. BUT, I don't want to have to become an online-only shopper. A major company just shipped me several of the wrong part, so I'll have to RMA it back to them. Being able to get what you wanted right off-the-shelf nearly always solved that issue.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Over the past 6 months all of my Fry's here (4 of them) no longer have blank dvd's. They just have a few bd-r left. Can understand downsizing this area in particular but to pretty much eliminate it seems fishy.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think they are going the way of online sales only. I was going to buy a big screen TV from them but the only models they had in the store were 2 years old. Going online I see that have newer models. I think their they may be done. They are a shell of their former self.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by suntech View Post
    I think they are going the way of online sales only. I was going to buy a big screen TV from them but the only models they had in the store were 2 years old. Going online I see that have newer models. I think their they may be done. They are a shell of their former self.
    That's a particularly good example. If you're going to plunk down beaucoup bucks for a big screen tv, you really need to get an impressive in-person demo of it, and as compared to a bunch of competing makes and models at a range of price points. (As you still can do at Best Buy or Costco.) This is not something that I would even consider ordering from an online source, and having it shipped to me. Secondly, savvy customers are not going to risk that kind of money on a purchase from an outfit that is likely not long for this world.

The last time I browsed the Home Theater etc. dept. -- which could easily be 5 or 6 months ago -- my local flagship Fry's location did have what seemed like current big screen models. Should have taken a look at that dept., when I was there a couple weeks back. If it was much like the appearance of so much of the rest of that huge store, you have to wonder where all that considerable inventory evaporated to ? (Returned by Fry's to the manufacturers, if that's even possible ?) I was in to that Frys like every couple of weeks, and there was no sign of anything like a big clearance sale, just business as usual. But their also suddenly going down to a skeleton crew on staffing was instantly rather ominous and unmistakable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    This is indeed sad news. I was a regular denizen of the various Bay Area Fry's and could drop a bit of coin very easily. The scope of their wares was quite jaw dropping. But I haven't been in one in over 10 years. I guess Amazon and Newegg lured me with their siren's call of low prices, free shipping and easy returns.
    Now I am afraid to go see the old girl, as I fear she will not be the one I was in love with back then.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I went back to our local "flagship" Frys location yesterday, for the first time in 7 weeks. It wasn't quite as grim looking as on my last visit. Some shelves had been restocked to about 15 % of their normal fullness. (I'm reminded of something in one of those articles, saying that manufacturers would not be very sympathetic about switching to an "on consignment" model for providing their goods. Also reminded of a recent article I was told about, that a very high-ranking Frys exec. had run up astounding gambling debts . . . but I have no idea if or how much that could have contributed to their present woes, unless some huge embezzlement was involved.) This time, I did get a chance to look at the TV / Home Theater dept. Most of it was empty and roped off as if undergoing some major renovation. The staff was a bit more than last time, though still very much at skeleton crew level. Again, there was no one to check and mark my purchase receipt on the way out, as if they no longer cared about this -- which had always been a conspicuous given with them.

There was scarcely any stock or selection at all of the advert items I had come in for. The motherboards section was nonexistent, almost nothing there in what's left of the HDD section. Rather curiously, the desktop tower and mid-tower cases section remained at very near the former display level. So, you could still have a good choice on cases for a system build, just nothing much to put inside it ! What to make of that ? It was hard to find store associates to ask any questions of, but I did talk to one in the computer section. He gave me a song & dance about how Mobos are very hard to find on the brick & mortar shelves just about anywhere now, about how the supply chain for Seagate and WD HDDs (and many other allied items) is now severely pinched all over, so it's not just Frys that is affected, etc. But I ain't buying this supposed explanation, at all. I haven't been to a Best Buy in quite some time, but I was at Costco the day before this, and they had what was -- for them -- a surprisingly good selection of Seagate portable HDDs, in capacities from 2 to 16 TB. The Frys guy said that rumors they would be closing were false, that they weren't going anywhere. But, under the very visible circumstances, how likely are we to believe this ?
    Last edited by Seeker47; 23rd Nov 2019 at 16:08.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    the desktop tower and mid-tower cases section remained at very near the former display level... What to make of that ?
    Nobody's bought a case in the last seven weeks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It may be that online orders are a growing part of Fry's business while their brick-and-mortar retail operation is declining. There is no Fry's closer than about 500 miles from where I live, so I have always shopped at their online storefront.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Rather curiously, the desktop tower and mid-tower cases section remained at very near the former display level. So, you could still have a good choice on cases for a system build, just nothing much to put inside it ! What to make of that ?
    I'd opine that whenever I went to buy a case online, I felt I really wanted to see and feel it for a physical quality build, whereas HDDs, mobos, etc., I've bought online with less reluctance, since the purchase is based less on physical characteristics than specs, reputation and track record.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    The Frys guy said that rumors they would be closing were false, that they weren't going anywhere. But, under the very visible circumstances, how likely are we to believe this ?
    I remember Circuit City employees swearing "their store wasn't one of the locations closing" even after the announcement that all stores were closing.

... and still trying to sell warranties. Perhaps that is why? (Paid on commission.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've recently received a report to the effect that the Fry's location in Fountain Valley CA. (just off the 405 fwy. -- I think near the Orange County | L.A. County border ?) was largely unaffected by the situation discussed here. That is to say, with an absence of empty or near-empty shelves, and looking inside pretty much along the lines of business as usual. Can anyone in that vicinity confirm this ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. I last went to the main Frys store in Sunnyvale about a year ago, and it was a ghost town, even back then. I am actually quite surprised that they haven't closed most of their stores, and expect the announcement will come within the next few months.

Like many retailers, they could easily continue to compete with Amazon, both online and with physical stores, but they need to focus on items that are heavy; that require seeing things in-store; and which rely on impulse. Also, they should continue to provide the merchandise that was the core of their first entry into selling something other than groceries (which is what the original Frys in Sunnyvale was all about), and that is they should keep selling all those parts and things that engineers need to build stuff. They can do that in the fraction of the space they now occupy.

They could also partner with another company in a related business, if they can't unload the space.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    they should keep selling all those parts and things that engineers need to build stuff.
    The problem with that is the need to stock a lot of different items that sell in small numbers at relatively high cost. I go to Fry's for parts when I'm working on something and I need a part "right now". Say i can get the part at Fry's for $5 (and I'm not likely to buy a big screen TV on impulse while I'm there). If I can wait a few days I can order a pack of 10 for $10 from Amazon (very cost effective with free shipping) or some other big distributor. So I spend a little more and wait a few days. Now have a stock of extras the next time(s) I might need one. So carrying a large stock of parts is only cost effective in areas where there are lots of engineers and hobbyists building prototype hardware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was on the way to 'Best Buy' to look at a stereo, (re a thread I started few days ago), Frys was directly on the way so I stopped in. They had "one" stereo in the store, not what I wanted. Talked to a few employees & they now were/are saying they dont have a clue as to whats going on with Frys. Before, they had semi plausable explainations, , , , That was my last visit, , ,

Lotta barbeque supplies tho!!
    Last edited by cornemuse; 22nd Dec 2019 at 10:40. Reason: feng shui
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    I was on the way to 'Best Buy' to look at a stereo, (re a thread I started few days ago), Frys was directly on the way so I stopped in. They had "one" stereo in the store, not what I wanted. Talked to a few employees & they now were/are saying they dont have a clue as to whats going on with Frys. Before, they had semi plausable explainations, , , , That was my last visit, , ,

Lotta barbeque supplies tho!!
    The local "flagship" Fry's location (San Marcos) used to have a significant mattresses section (of all things ! -- if I remember correctly), and definitely had a rather substantial section for large household appliances, down to smaller ones like rice cookers. All that is quite threadbare now -- mostly empty floor space.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    they should keep selling all those parts and things that engineers need to build stuff.
    The problem with that is the need to stock a lot of different items that sell in small numbers at relatively high cost. I go to Fry's for parts when I'm working on something and I need a part "right now". Say i can get the part at Fry's for $5 (and I'm not likely to buy a big screen TV on impulse while I'm there). If I can wait a few days I can order a pack of 10 for $10 from Amazon (very cost effective with free shipping) or some other big distributor. So I spend a little more and wait a few days. Now have a stock of extras the next time(s) I might need one. So carrying a large stock of parts is only cost effective in areas where there are lots of engineers and hobbyists building prototype hardware.
    Sometimes you run into a surprising situation and business model. I haven't had a reason to go back there for some months, but there has been what outwardly appears to be a surviving "Radio Shack" store in a community about half an hour from here. It retains the old familiar signage outside, and a lot of the same goods you recall inside. But RS went out of business nationally a couple years back. It seems like the proprietor of this store struck some deal with RS to continue using the name, but independently. You can find USB parts, phone parts, some computer and electronics parts (like a volt-meter, cables, adapters, etc.), much as you could at Fry's for building whatever, and you can have it right now off the shelf. The principal difference is that each item will cost you about 2 to 3X what it would have set you back at Fry's. The price of immediate fulfillment, I guess. And this ersatz RS store seems to be making a go of it. I expect the name helps. Then again, their square footage is not exorbitant -- rather about the size of some smaller RS locations I recall. It was probably still part of the chain (or a franchisee ?) at the time that RS folded.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    By this point, I'm going back every couple months when I'm in the general vicinity, to re-check the current status. Still mostly bare shelves at our "flagship" location. From elsewhere, I'm hearing that vendors are not supplying product. (That would tend to happen if you don't pay your bills . . . .) May explain the largely bare shelves, and why a lot of what you do see has gone over to unfamiliar tertiary brands, rather than the major ones. Haven't seen any hard drives on the shelf for over 6 months, I'd guess. That was a category I used to buy with some regularity. A big store like that -- sans product, sans customers, sans anything like the staffing that used to be there -- becomes a white elephant. Hard to see why they're still paying the rent, even if a longterm lease . . . unless they happened to own the land and the building. Sad, really. I've turned to online ordering from Newegg or eBay, because Best Buy or Office Depot seldom have what I need. It's becoming hard to imagine any theoretical resurrection of Fry's, at least in the brick & mortar sphere.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    They tweeted a couple of hours ago that the San Diego location has new consignment stock, including MSi;
    https://twitter.com/fryselectronics/status/1234579928936378368
    Quote Quote  
  21. Radio Shack, Circuit City, ... Borders, ...
    Nothing new - Amazon.com effect at work....

Until people change their price sensitivity, this decline in retail shops won't change.

Odd how people will pay 50x more for a cup of COFFEE vs brewing their own at home, but won't spend 2x+ more on an electronics part at retail.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Really that is not a good news for everyone. They have to Change this type of things.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    The real problem is that the need to stock a lot of different items that sell in small numbers at high cost.But that is not a good news.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by George53 View Post
    The real problem is that the need to stock a lot of different items that sell in small numbers at high cost.But that is not a good news.
    You seem to be familiar with their name. From visits here ? Or did they have any stores in the U.K. or outside of the U.S. ? Was there any U.K. equivalent (as Boots -- if it is still around -- may have been to our CVS in drug stores), and if so has it succumbed to the same market forces ?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Fry's is only in America. American store that was hot during the 2000s, but as Dell etc started online/phone sales and Amazon/Newegg/etc started growing, there became fewer and fewer reason to step into the stores, especially with the nazi-like stops at the exit searching everyone (there is NO legal requirement, no federal, state, local law that requires all to stop and submit to searches unless suspected of theft, in which case, they should call the police and let the police search). Microcenter was nearby, nowhere as annoying, and became the only stop to make given the often better sales prices and service.

Honestly, fry's could vanish today and I wouldn't mind - they became meaningless as a computer store decade+ ago (like really? selling vacuum cleaners??).
    Microcenter is better focused and stocked.

And for the parts neither stock, online it must be because nobody carries in-store basic things like 1 PCI-E Firewire card anymore.
    That's when direct from China eBay sales are the best!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    . . .
    Honestly, fry's could vanish today and I wouldn't mind - they became meaningless as a computer store decade+ ago (like really? selling vacuum cleaners??).
    Microcenter is better focused and stocked.

And for the parts neither stock, online it must be because nobody carries in-store basic things like 1 PCI-E Firewire card anymore.
    That's when direct from China eBay sales are the best!
    Really have to disagree with you. While a lot of what they carried was of little or no interest to me, they have been a great "Go there, find what you were looking for, and just pick it up" resource for me, over the years. Quite a variety of things too, from small, individual electronics components to wire sleeving to flash drives and hard drives to bulky, heavy UPS units (have 3 or 4 of these, bought there at very good sale prices, and I never had to deal with any shipping on them), cables, connectors, adapters, various accessories and supplies, to a special bond paper that no one else seemed to carry. The list literally goes on and on. Prices, particularly on sale, were quite competitive. There were some sales associates, like in the networking and tv dept.s, that I got to know over the years, who were pretty knowledgeable. (Before the purge, obviously.) I liked to check the package on the shelf to see where an item was made, the warranty, whether the packaging was disturbed, crumpled or dented, etc. -- rather than just take my chances on whatever came in the mail, and maybe having to return it.

I have liked MicroCentre as well, for many of the same reasons, but they have far fewer stores, the nearest one now being over 90 minutes drive away. That relegates to special, important trip, very infrequently. And I go out of my way to avoid ordering anything direct from China.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A "No Change" update from a few days ago. May fave location is still open, Covid be damned. On a purely financial basis, I'm not sure how or why. Still the empty isles, largely bare shelves, stark absence of customers or staff. It's a Ghost Ship ! In that respect, Covid has made no discernible difference ! If they happened to own the land and the physical store, that might be one thing -- but it still must cost something non-trivial to keep the doors open, on such a big place. Or maybe their online sales have been enough to keep them afloat ?
    Quote Quote  
  28. I've been wanting to go to my local Microcenter for a while now but with this COVID-19 and all the changes they have made, like limiting how many people can go in at any one time, wait times to get in, etc, I just don't have the patience to go in and shop.
    Quote Quote  
  29. At the start of the Covid insanity, I began to work from home. After awhile I needed a new mouse. I went to Microcenter and stood in line, etc. Once I got in, I was “pushed” by a salesperson to “finish shopping” (AKA, ‘get yer stuff and get out ‘cuz we got a limit on the number of people in the store at one time and people are waiting’). That was a little off-putting but I went along with it, given the cirumstances. Then some days later I wanted to get a second monitor after it became clear I would be continuing telecommuting for quite awhile. I found an “open box” monitor for a good price and ordered it online for pickup at Microcenter. I went there after I was done working and found a very long line waiting to get into the store, then got into another line of “just pickups,” then finally got in (had to get my hands sprayed, and of course observe social distancing). After all that, at least a ½ hour wait, the salesperson trots out a monitor that was “no box,” not even a power cord or stand (about a 21” monitor if memory serves), or instructions, or anything other than the monitor itself. I declined the unit and went home to purchase a refurb unit off Amazon (Acer Recertified) that was fantastic and delivered the following Sunday (ordered on a Wednesday). (Lost a dollar that Microcenter charged to my credit card for “reserving” the unit for pickup, too.) I since have ordered yet another Acer Recertified monitor via Amazon for my work setup (dual monitors) as it’s becoming clear that telecommuting will last awhile. I am avoiding Microcenter and most other local retailers as much as possible. I don’t like doing that, but my time is valuable and I feel that I am getting better deals and service online. That’s sad but it's evidently the way things are now.
    84Lion
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, what a difference from what I've been seeing at that Frys ! (No wait at all, hardly any people in sight . . . but also very little merchandise, particularly compared to the vast selection they had before their business fortunes took a severe dive, which was several months before anyone had heard of Covid. They still are touting order online, pick up at store location, so maybe I should give that a try. They also are promoting a free delivery, but I'm far outside of the local service range for that. Meanwhile, a lot more other ordering online. eBay does not necessarily get such high marks for that, but with the usual care in selection I've had remarkably good results with that. Recent purchases include my first webcam (new in box), for all those virtual appointments now replacing the actual ones we used to have, and a nice portable monitor that's been off the market and scarce for some time (open box, never previously used). It should serve well for another location, or as a spare.
    Quote Quote