VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its hard to describe this problem but here goes-

I have inserted a video produced with my Canon EOS 70D into a DVD I am producing. The video is of a distance shot over a lake where I pan across the scene.

Houses on the far shoreline dither/shake as the scene pans across.

The raw video is perfect when viewed on a large screen so the problem is not with the camera. Also. in Pinnacle Studio 'Author'; if I play the scene at full screen is it also fine. The problem therefore seems to be when I burn the DVD. PAL format.

Any suggestion as to how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's always helpful to post a short sample -- especially if it's hard to describe.

It may just be a function of framerate/shutter speed. Or you may be dropping frames when you downconvert to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have produced a snippet of the movie from the VOB file which shows the problem.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is known as "aliasing"

It's probably in the source . But there is a small chance that something else in your workflow caused it. You can confirm this by looking at the source closely

Many DSLR's are known for this, especially older ones. The large sensor is downsampled by skipping lines , every nth pixel, when shooting video . The reason is they were not fast enough to do a proper resize, and would frequently overheat

What can you do about it ? There are some strong temporal antialiasing filters that might be able to smooth things out , for example avisynth filters such as QTGMC in progressive mode
    Quote Quote  
  5. I see.

That aliasing appears to be an artifact of downscaling (based on your saying it's clean out of the camera.) You may want to try outputting at full size and then trying some of the methods poisondeathray has suggested. You can also try softening up that part of the frame in Pinnacle and see if that helps on output.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Take a closer look - I doubt it's completely clean out of the camera . I've had a few Canon DSLR's over the years.

The reason why it's more visible, is when you have duplicate frames introduced for making the DVD (29.97 fps) , there is a supposedly static frame (no motion), but a twitch in the aliasing pattern . This can also be from deinterlacing applied when watching it, or when making the sample video. If you make a progressive DVD, this other issue shouldn't be contributing

Since it's a pan of a mostly static background (only the BG is affected with the aliasing), another fix would be to replace the background. You'd do this with motion tracking; basically sticking a masked still image that "sticks" over the affected area, guided by the motion tracking data . In the past it could only be done by tools such as after effects, by many entry-mid level editors have motion tracking now. Not sure if Pinnacle Studio has . But you'd have to do fixes for each shot, and not all shots are easily fixed (not all static BG's)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the source video from the camera.

I'm not aware of QTGMC but I will look into it - thank you

What is meant by 'You can also try softening up that part of the frame in Pinnacle' ?

I have to say I have produced numerous DVDs which include short videos from my camera and have never seen this effect before. I was wondering if I had mis-set some parameter in the burn process.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. What are your project/timeline settings ? And what were the export settings - what type of "PAL" DVD are you making ? 25p ? or interlaced

Is this a mixed footage project (other cameras), or is primary footage from this camera at 1080p23.976 ?

I think it's being deinterlaced somewhere where it shouldn't be . Certain the MP4 was, but that might be from the preparation of the MP4
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have downloaded VideoPad. Could you please explain how to use 'strong temporal antialiasing filters in using QTGMC in progressive mode'?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    I have downloaded VideoPad. Could you please explain how to use 'strong temporal antialiasing filters in using QTGMC in progressive mode'?
    Hold off on that , there might be some other preventable issues , please answer the questions in the previous post.

Filtering is more of a last resort
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your questions have identified the problem.

I was recording on the DVD at 50 fps when my camera recorded the video at 25!

Cannot think how I came to change this but thank you very much for helping me.

This is a very useful Forum.
    Quote Quote