VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a 55” UHD tv with built in Media centre that handles .mkv .mp4 but can’t seem to get it to play more than 2.0 stereo via the Denon receiver ? It has hdmi / arc and optical too ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  2. At this moment all i can say is: my crystal ball is broken - provide some useful details...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does your tv have an audio menu where you can choose between 5.1 and 2.0 output on the optical output to your receiver?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First: of course your video/tv-program has to have surround sound in the first place.

My first jump to mind would be to check johns0's advice. A lot of surround receivers will just show "PCM" when receiving stereo sound, because your tv will output stereo in PCM. When receiving 5.1 bitstream, it will lock into the codec used and will state that on the display.

Secondly, there can be a difference in how your tv handles different types of audio. TV broadcasts (here in the Netherlands, that is) usually carry a Dolby Digital stream in case of surround sound, which will be throughput via HDMI-ARC and optical. Be sure that your receiver's output is connected to the proper HDMI ARC input of your tv.

When using your tv's build-in mediacenter and you play an external video (eg via connected USB drive) audio handling often becomes problematic in case of surround standards that are not compatible with your tv's capabilities.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Adrian Hepker View Post
    I have a 55” UHD tv with built in Media centre that handles .mkv .mp4 but can’t seem to get it to play more than 2.0 stereo via the Denon receiver ? It has hdmi / arc and optical too ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is the Denon is 5.1 or 7.1 receiver? These are commonly called AVRs. It must be a surround receiver for it to deliver 5.1 surround to your tv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    To add to the above, how about actual model #s, and diagrams of how it is currently hooked up?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The op hasn't replied in nearly 2 years to his original post so i don't think you will get any replies.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He practically hasn’t even been back to this forum since he posted either. LOL
    Quote Quote