VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all. I purchased the AVerMedia ExtremeCap U3 the other day. I got it second hand and the main reason I wanted to use it was for taking screenshots of games. A black and white checkerboard pattern looks perfect, as does greyscale, but for some reason the colours seem to be shifted to the right. I was wondering if this is normal, since it advertises "uncompressed" video.

Attached is a screenshot example from the Xbox One. You'll notice that all the blue tiles have a grey line on the left side of them, while there's a blue ghosting effect to the right of them. The Forza icon also has very noticeable ghosting to the right side of it. Both the white text and the white Xbox icon on the bottom look perfect. Is this normal or is there likely something wrong?

I'm using an X370 chipset and the RECentral by the way.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	test.png
Views:	79
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	50296  

Quote Quote  
  2. Chroma subsampling? Is the XBox One set to output RGB or YUV? Are you capturing RGB or YUV? YUV 4:2:2 would have horizontally blurred colors (and sometimes shifting) like you are seeing. YUV 4:2:0 would have both horizontally and vertically blurring/shifting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply, I'm fairly sure the Xbox is set to RGB, though there doesn't seem to be a setting in RECentral to change it for the capture card itself. It does look like YUV 4:2:2 here, I remember YUV from when I tried to use 4k on a PC that only had HDMI 1.4, the only way to get 60Hz was to use YUV. I have an OSSC too, and I get the same results from that even though it's set to RGB output.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What does mediainfo say about the captured video?
    Quote Quote  
  5. It actually says YUV with chroma subsampling 4:2:0. They advertise the card as being capable of capturing uncompressed video, but if it's not 4:4:4 or RGB, isn't that still compressed?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Chroma subsampling usually isn't considered compression (though it is). For example, if a device is transmitting YUV 4:2:0 the only uncompressed video that can be captured is YUV 4:2:0. You need to figure out where the RGB to YUV 4:2:0 conversion is taking place. On the XBox One? By the capture device?

There chroma channels are also being oversharpened -- developing halos. See if you can turn that off somewhere. The issue may go away if you can get the XBox One to output RGB and the capture device to capture RGB. Also, it may be an artifact of the conversion of your YUV 4:2:0 cap to RGB to post the sample image. A small sample video will tell.

One last thing to consider: almost all distribution formats are YUV 4:2:0 anyway.
    Quote Quote