VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello All,

Wow, what a great site.

I've got approx 400 DVDs in my collection that I want to back up before they start rotting.

At least a couple of hundred are Complete Season Television episodes that I want to backup or copy/rip individually, and then be able to play them individually in iTunes.

I've used Handbrake in the past (12 years ago) and the copies it made were pretty good, though it took about eighteen minutes to copy (or rip) a 24 minute episode.

I've tried downloading a more recent version, but they won't convert protected movies without going through a two-step process?

I just recently purchased WinX for Mac.

It's OK considering how fast it does the job, but I want better quality.
    I don't mind if it takes a little longer than 4 minutes for a 24 minute episode, or even if the files are a little larger.

They don't have a discussion forum, and the knowledge from customer service is limited.

I asked them if changing the Bit Rate would help and they never addressed the question.

I don't want software or an App wherein I have to do a two step process to make a file, as it would take too long considering the size of my collection, and also put excess wear and tear on my HD, so I don't care if the software is expensive.

Again, Handbrake was good and it was free, but I don't mind shelling out some cash to get the job done right, and in one single swoop.

I would also prefer M4v or MP4, unless there is a better one-step solution for quality first, then speed.

Am I missing some additional add-on software that I need to work in tandem with recent versions of Handbrake, because all I get now is a scrambled mess.

Are there any other one-step alternatives or otherwise?

Thanks in advance to all for your time in this matter.
    Last edited by ezduzit; 23rd Sep 2019 at 23:01. Reason: Clarification
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Hello All,

Wow, what a great site.

I've got approx 400 DVDs in my collection that I want to back up before they start rotting.

At least a couple of hundred are Complete Season Television episodes that I want to backup or copy/rip individually, and then be able to play them individually in iTunes.

I've used Handbrake in the past (12 years ago) and the copies it made were pretty good, though it took about eighteen minutes to copy (or rip) a 24 minute episode.

I've tried downloading a more recent version, but they won't convert protected movies without going through a two-step process?

I just recently purchased WinX for Mac.

It's OK considering how fast it does the job, but I want better quality.
    I don't mind if it takes a little longer than 4 minutes for a 24 minute episode, or even if the files are a little larger.

They don't have a discussion forum, and the knowledge from customer service is limited.

I asked them if changing the Bit Rate would help and they never addressed the question.

I don't want software or an App wherein I have to do a two step process to make a file, as it would take too long considering the size of my collection, and also put excess wear and tear on my HD, so I don't care if the software is expensive.

Again, Handbrake was good and it was free, but I don't mind shelling out some cash to get the job done right, and in one single swoop.

I would also prefer M4v or MP4, unless there is a better one-step solution for quality first, then speed.

Am I missing some additional add-on software that I need to work in tandem with recent versions of Handbrake, because all I get now is a scrambled mess.

Are there any other one-step alternatives or otherwise?

Thanks in advance to all for your time in this matter.
    dvdfab dvd ripper for mac - https://www.dvdfab.cn/dvd-ripper-for-mac.htm
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There's MakeMKV for OS X so maybe you can use that to rip episodes on hdd and then use Handbrake to transcode those files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. dvdfab dvd ripper for mac - https://www.dvdfab.cn/dvd-ripper-for-mac.htm[/QUOTE]

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use MDRP (Mac DVDRipper Pro).. It's hands down the easiest tool for Mac and the quality is great. You can rip and burn without compression if you like (that's what I do), and if you need compression, it does a superb job at that as well. It's the only tool for your task IMHO.
    Quote Quote