VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've experimented in Vegas with selecting individual colors to alter in videos (using the eyedropper select tool), but it always changed too much in the image. For example, if I select someone's dark blue shirt, my attempts at altering the color also change the blue of the sky (even though it's a different type of blue).

I want to be able to select specific shades of certain colors to alter, leaving other shades untouched. For an example of what I'm talking about, I'd like something that could be so specific as to alter the color of the witch's face in the image below (changing the shade of green, brightness, contrast, lightness, etc; or even turning it red or blue if I so desired), while leaving the differently-shaded green curtain behind her unaltered (and without having to use any type of masking).

Is this possible? And if so, how can it be achieved?
    Last edited by hbenthow; 22nd Sep 2019 at 02:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Complex masking probably required.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Complex masking probably required.
    Why isn't it possible for a software to narrow the range of the colors that it affects to a specific shade, and then a mathematical range of difference (such as 5%)?
    Last edited by hbenthow; 22nd Sep 2019 at 03:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Might try Resolve.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There are a lot of overlapping colors in her left cheek and the brown beam in the background. And a little between her right cheek and the green curtains (the bright area between her right arm and the staff). That is why you need masking.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Skin color isn't the only problem with that image. The blacks aren't clean and they aren't a black color. Black levels are too high anyway: the image looks washed out and has a lot of chroma noise. The overall color balance has a deficit of blue. You need to be working first in YUV, then go to RGB for tweaking specific parts of the spectrum. You might think about calibrating your monitor as well, to save a lot of time and avoid frustration.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  7. It's called secondary color correction and Vegas apparently has it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNZD4lac4RI

You will probably have to do some masking as well to prevent the background from being affected.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Might try Resolve.
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There are a lot of overlapping colors in her left cheek and the brown beam in the background. And a little between her right cheek and the green curtains (the bright area between her right arm and the staff). That is why you need masking.
    Would this be the correct method to use in Resolve?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7_77r6xypc

Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Skin color isn't the only problem with that image. The blacks aren't clean and they aren't a black color. Black levels are too high anyway: the image looks washed out and has a lot of chroma noise. The overall color balance has a deficit of blue. You need to be working first in YUV, then go to RGB for tweaking specific parts of the spectrum. You might think about calibrating your monitor as well, to save a lot of time and avoid frustration.
    That image is just something that I found on the Internet to use as a quick example of what I'm trying to achieve. I'm not trying to actually regrade that image itself. I was simply demonstrating the type of accuracy I was looking for in terms of a software differentiating between different types of the same color.

Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    It's called secondary color correction and Vegas apparently has it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNZD4lac4RI
    That's what I tried, and it affected way too much. As I mentioned, trying to change a blue shirt also alters the blue of the sky, for instance.

You will probably have to do some masking as well to prevent the background from being affected.
    I might. I was hoping to find a solution precise and accurate enough to work without masking, though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. That video is pretty good. It shows not only the basic technique but how to clean up problems. Vegas probably has most of those functions as well, but this is the kind of thing Resolve was built for.
    Quote Quote