VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My favorite TV show had a BD release with color patterns that in my opinion did not match the way it originally looked. I have already made ISO files of every disc via AnyDVD, they are nearly perfect clones, "nearly" because I unchecked “keep protection”.

Now I want to convert the eps (from the ISO files) to MKV files, but I need to find a way to make sure the MKV files will look different from the original source. I want the MKV files to keep my "Intel Graphics Control Panel" video profile settings. I have painstakingly set values for each episode (red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow, brightness, contrast, hue and saturation). It took me months, so I depend on Intel Graphics Control Panel settings.

Some eps will require an additional step, that is, merging two or three different parts (each with slightly different video profile settings) into one single file.

I could simply record the eps by playing them with Intel Graphics video profiles on (using apps like Movavi Screen Recorder, for instance), but I know the result will show quality loss. Hence, I would prefer to rip the eps.

Is that possible?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    .MKV is a container and by converting an .ISO to an .MKV, you're remuxing, taking the contents from one container and putting in another with no changes. Like bringing a cake home from the bakery, taking it out of the box and putting in to your own home container. It's still the exact same cake.

I don't know if screen recording programs capture the signal as displayed on your monitor, but the correct way to color correct your videos is through a video editing program. You'll lose a bit of info, but it will be minimal if you output to a good file format, e.g. H264 or H265 with high enough settings. I don't fiddle with my videos or color settings on my displays, so hopefully someone will come along and give you some starter tips or you can start a new thread with short clips of the before and after effect you're going for.

Edit: By definition, a rip, what you call a clone, is an exact bit for bit copy of the video/audio contents of the disc, with or without copy protection. Recommend MakeMKV (which is free) to convert your .ISO to .MKV as it will be easier to import into an editing program.
    Last edited by lingyi; 16th Sep 2019 at 23:16.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've just tried to capture a an ep segment (played on MPC-HC) using Movavi Screen Recorder. The recording kept the color changes from "Intel Graphics Control Panel" video profile settings. I suspected that would be possible once I already captured hundreds of screen pics (using MPC) in order to compare the color tweaks with the original source.

I don't know what exactly Intel Graphics Control Panel does, but it seems to go beyond the monitor. It can be screen captured, the video can also be captured.

I wonder if there's a way (other than video capture) to convert the eps to another video format that will keep "Intel Graphics Control Panel" video profile settings (sorry and thanks for the explanation, "rip" is not the proper expression for what I want). I've mentioned mkv a lot on my previous post, but it could be anything that worked. Maybe there's a way to work with H264 or H265 with a particular video editing program that will keep the effects of "Intel Graphics Control Panel" video profile settings?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Color tweaking should be performed in AviSynth not in some panel.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ArnoldLayne View Post
    I wonder if there's a way (other than video capture) to convert the eps to another video format that will keep "Intel Graphics Control Panel" video profile settings
    I'm not aware of any container that supports such tweaks. Even if there is one you probably won't find a player that supports it. And even if you found both it would probably only work properly on Intel GPUs of the same generation.

What you might be able to do is find where the graphics driver saves the settings in the Registry, export them to a .REG file, then use a batch file to load the settings into the Registry before playing the video, play the video, and restore the settings when done. Again, this would only work with Intel GPUs of the same generation.

[Attachment 50206 - Click to enlarge]

I don't know if that is the right registry location. That might just be where the control panel applet saves its values.
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Sep 2019 at 08:07.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks. I already have those preset saved as .igp files (I suppose they change the registry and then, if for some reason they were deleted or it is a different and compatible machine, they will reappear on Intel Graphics Control Panel).

So my problem is exactly this one you've mention: I would like to make those color changes permanent on new files, so I would not depend on my machine, on Intel Graphics Control Panel versions etc.

As fantastic as AviSynth is, I suppose it would take months and months to master it and then to create scripts that would try to match the presets, with different degrees of success. it was a very long process, I compared each ep on the BD version with the original broadcasts.

I don't quite understand what Intel Graphics Control Panel really do. It changes colors in a way that no media player and no monitor tweaking I've ever seen can come close to. I can tweak a particular color (or two) without affecting the others, for instance. For some reason, certain apps play video files with the Intel Graphics Control Panel automatically "in charge" of colors (PowerDVD, MPC-HC), and in such cases playback and even pic captures will reflect the color presets (if only those apps could make a new file with those color changes inside it, just like they can do with pic captures!). On the other hand, others apps just ignore it (like VLC).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Figuring out exactly how to translate the IGP settings to AviSynth comman might be difficult. Brightness, contrast, hue, and saturation are pretty straight forward. Maybe red, green, blue, too. But I don't know how cyan, magenta, and yellow will translate (maybe rotate the hue, then use RGBAdjust, then rotate back?). Once you figure out the translation it will be easy create a script and render (easily done in a batch file).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Another way you can do this involves creating a LUT or "look up table" . LUT's are common technique in photography and video for creating "looks"

For "calculating" the "look" , usually this involves taking a special reference image (called a neutral image, or identity LUT) , and that reference image with the "look" applied (In this case, your Intel settings applied). Then the difference is calculated between "A" and "B" and converted into a LUT. This LUT can then be applied to other videos, and it emulates whatever your Intel settings were. So you would "play" the reference image with the Intel settings applied and take a screenshot.

The Intel settings are not dynamic; they are fixed . This means the same settings are applied to everywhere. You can create different LUTs for different sets of Intel settings, so if you had 3 different looks, 3 different parts, no problem . (And it doesn't have to be "Intel", it can be AMD, Nvidia ,etc.. , nor does it have to be driver settings; it can be some other types of filters applied in other programs, like curves)

Once you have the LUT, almost any video processing program - FFmpeg, avisynth , vapoursynth , many video editors including free ones like shotcut, resolve , can apply LUTs. The most common type is a cube LUT .

There are free and commercial programs that can do the calculation part, and slight variations on this technique. Most common technique is a HaldCLUT which is then converted to a cube LUT for application
    http://www.quelsolaar.com/technology/clut.html

A freebie you can try ,
    https://generator.iwltbap.com/

Gimp also has a variation on this with a g'mic CLUT filter, and there are python scripts which can convert haldclut's to cube
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you very much for the help, and sorry I couldn't get back here sooner.
    I suppose that trying to "emulate" my Intel Graphics Panel color tweaks on AviSynth scripts would be a nice way (though demanding, at least to me) to save the color changes I want into new video files. Thanks jagabo and Atak_Snajpera.

Thank you also poisondeathray for mentioning the LUT techniques. This is all new to me.

I believe that I should learn a lot about AviSynth. To my level, that will be challenging. At this moment, I can't even open an AviSynth script for a mkv file (BD rip) on VirtualDub. Worse, I can't even open an AviSynth "version" script on VirtualDub (I can do that on MeGui, though)!

Would you recommend a forum/topic/website in which someone with no experience at all on such things (like me) could little by little make his way in AviSynth so at the end I would be able to make new files out of the originals, and those new files would permanently keep the color changes?
    (I would try LUT's and brightness/contrast/hue/saturation/red/green/blue/cyan/magenta/yellow tweaks).
    Quote Quote  
  10. There is an AviSynth filter called ColourLike(). It compares the levels/colors of two videos and figures out how to adjust the the second to look like the first. Of course, to use it you would have to capture the output of your graphics card with the tweaks. And then you already have a new video anyway. But if you have several videos with the same (or very similar) tweaks you could use the information from the first ColourLike with all the rest (It saves its LUT in a file for later use).
    Quote Quote