VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

im trying to use dvdx to backup a concert dvd with lots of fast lights and such, so 1-pass doesnt really do it. (lots of pixilation on the moving lights) but dvdx's settings arent very clear cut, any idea how 2-pass works? Dyson Cyclone V10 Review the best quality i had was using 1-pass CBR and for the 2nd pass "1-pass quality" at 100% (made the file size enormous though). just looking for the best 2-pass settings for dvdx,

thanks
    iosman
    Last edited by iosman; 20th Oct 2019 at 07:21.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've always used one pass and got good results. But I found this for you from their site.

2 pass will not improve quality enough to be worthwhile if you use the Automatic encode option except for projects long enough that the DVD cannot be kept from being filled. So you might get some improvement with 2 pass for those longer than about 170 or 180 minutes on a DVD5 disc. But any improvement is reduced to nearly zero for projects as long as 5 hours.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why use the antiquated Xvid format ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by iosman View Post
    Hello,

im trying to use dvdx to backup a concert dvd with lots of fast lights and such, so 1-pass doesnt really do it. (lots of pixilation on the moving lights) but dvdx's settings arent very clear cut, any idea how 2-pass works? the best quality i had was using 1-pass CBR and for the 2nd pass "1-pass quality" at 100% (made the file size enormous though). just looking for the best 2-pass settings for dvdx,
    If you have to use MPEG-4 ASP, I recommend the old and good DivX 6.9.2 [IF you can find it, of course] instead of Xvid.
    DivX lets you adjust the scene-detection sensitivity and the 2-pass option may reduce the filesize IF the single-pass option creates an "excessively-big" stream.

Regarding H.264: if you choose it, use an x264 build which includes the fade-compensation patch, unless you want to play around with qp-files or/and zones...

VC-1 through Expression Encoder could be an interesting option as well. It opens Avisynth scripts and the VC-1 codec deals well with frequent scene changes. But in the end you'll have to remux the result to a different container (AVI, TS, MKV, MP4) and encode the audio separately (because WMA suxxx).

P.S.: I assume /hope that you DON'T INTEND to store your 'backup' on a 700 MB CD-R, of course.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 29th Sep 2019 at 16:42. Reason: disambiguation
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote