VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 'the hypnotist' scandinavian. Has no english subs. So I found an external english sub but it is not in sync.

fiddled with timing on VLC but can't get it right. Nowhere near enough.

I think there's a problem because one of them is at 24fps and one at 25fps. I think. But how do subs have a fps? Don't they just have a timestamp and get played when that time comes up? Dunno....

Tried MPC but the resync panel doesn't display the subs file so that's no good.

Tried an online thing and it crashed my browser.

Downloaded a couple of things but couldn't get them to work...

Could someone please direct me to the best place/best way for me to get this little job done?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try SubtitleEdit. It has a lot of timings function, including framerate change.
    A feature I find great is "Visual sync".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Subtitle Edit. It has different options for sync.

Subtitles may be synchronized by a time code in which case the fps doesn't matter while for other formats the frame is used for synchronization and here the fps matters.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you guys. I just tried subresync from vobsub and couldn't understand it... seemed to be entirely for formatting subs, no syncing them.

Hopefully I'll do better with subtitle edit.

edit;

can't use it. not until tomorrow when I get on a different computer. this modern fashion for black backgrounds and fine white printing on it is entirely illegible on my old monitor on this computer. so I can't see the times running past on the video - and I guess that's what I have to do ? find something like a swedish name or something that I can recognise 'Erik' or something, note the time, find the subtitle that says 'Erik' and set it to that time?

I read somewhere of one app that asked you to do that twice... creating a 'bracket' that enabled the software then to recalibrate everything if the framerate was wrong or something.

I can see how it could do that. If there was a 2 second diff on the first one and a five second diff on the second then it'd know there was a frame rate mismatch I guess.

Anyway... I couldn't find a way to change the skin so it's all i can do for today....

thanks for the help

Last edited by abrogard; 13th Sep 2019 at 07:27.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have 'the hypnotist' scandinavian
    I take it you have a DVD or an ISO image that has subtitles in a different language than english. Then I would start by use "Synchronization -> Point sync" in Subtitle Edit.

To do this you'll need the time code for the first (or one of the first) subtitles and the time code for the last (or one of the last) subtitle.

You use "File -> Import/OCR subtitle from VOB/IFO(DVD) ..." and select the IFO for the movie (In case of more IFO's normally the largest). In the picture below I've mounted an ISO image as G: and selected an IFO. It has subtitles for four languages and I've chosen "Svenska" (Swedish).

[Attachment 50102 - Click to enlarge]

Then make sure Language/dictionary is Swedish (or download using the three dots) Untic "Prompt for unknown word" and start the OCR. Stop it when a couple of subtitles (here 5) has been done.

[Attachment 50104 - Click to enlarge]

Do the same near the end of the subtitles. Here OCR is performed starting with subtitle 470 and press OK.

[Attachment 50105 - Click to enlarge]

Now drop the English subtitle on Subtitle Edit and choose "Synchronization -> Point sync". Identify a subtitle where you have the time code from the Swedish subtitles and select "Set sync point" and enter the time code.

[Attachment 50106 - Click to enlarge]

Do the same for a subtitle near the end so you have 2 sync points and press "Apply" + "OK"

[Attachment 50107 - Click to enlarge]

Check the sync at various subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's magnificent. Thank you for that.

I will get with it today - I can get at my 'better' machine. I don't have a DVD or an ISO though. I have an avi file and an srt.

Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    That's magnificent. Thank you for that.

I will get with it today
    And once you've done it you'll probably find that the subs come from a different cut of the movie (scenes added and/or deleted) so they'll be in sync at the two reference points but off everywhere else.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ho ho... nothing's ever as simple as it seems, eh?

while blundering through these subtitle apps I notice at least one had a 'translate' function and that got me thinking - I suppose I could just take an existing 'good' subtitle track and translate it into english... there seems to be a surprisingly small amount of talk in these movies...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    ho ho... nothing's ever as simple as it seems, eh?

while blundering through these subtitle apps I notice at least one had a 'translate' function and that got me thinking - I suppose I could just take an existing 'good' subtitle track and translate it into english... there seems to be a surprisingly small amount of talk in these movies...
    If you do that then you can correct the translation into regular English using the English sub (assuming it's correct) as a guide track.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A bit stuck at "Now drop the English subtitle on Subtitle Edit"

How? What? I'm at the OCR screen. Drag and drop right onto that? Or close it and drag and drop onto the main screen?

Or open a sub file from the menu?

EDIT: Ah... I seem to have done it. And I've set two sync points etc.

Now how to end the process? I suppose I've created a new subtitle file rather than edited the old english file?

So I must 'save as' and name it?

FURTHER EDIT:

Yes. Just save as and I've got the original still and this new one. And it seems perfect, dare I say it...

Thanks for the help.

I'll try that translating trick next I think. I've got a couple of movies I could never watch because no english subs...

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (165).png
Views:	228
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	50110  

Last edited by abrogard; 13th Sep 2019 at 23:01.
    Quote Quote