VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am usually using Video Download Helper to get videos from YouTube but it is not getting anything now other than ADP videos. I tried youtube-dl and it says "video unavailable". I assume the folks that make YouTube-dl are working at figuring out how to solve the YouTube video download issue. I am going to have some faith they will figure it out fairly soon and I suppose life will go on without being able to download videos from YouTube.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I haven't had any problem downloading from youtube with youtube-dl lately. Do you have a link? Have you updated youtube-dl?

Oops! I just tried a few random videos and am seeing the same error. It must have changed in the last day or two.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Sep 2019 at 11:06.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There is a new update today to youtube-dl and it can download YouTube videos. It says it is a temp fix.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried updating just before my earlier post but there was nothing new. But after seeing your latest post I tried again. The update succeeded and I was able to download from youtube.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Asking youtube-dl for it's version number and not getting it - or am I misunderstanding what that option does.

C:\Windows\system32>youtube-dl -version
    [debug] System config: []
    [debug] User config: []
    [debug] Custom config: []
    [debug] Command-line args: ['-version']
    Usage: youtube-dl [OPTIONS] URL [URL...]

youtube-dl: error: invalid rate limit specified

C:\Windows\system32>
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    "video unavailable".
    It must've been to do with something at YouTube's end.
    I noticed problems downloading & streaming around 18:00 BST and for the rest of the evening.

For me, Internet Download Manager picked up no downloads even though videos played fine (in Firefox & Google Chrome).
    YouTube-dl caught nothing when inputting a video URL.
    Same for Internet Download Accelerator (which also uses YouTube-dl).
    No videos streamed when inputting video URL into either VLC or PotPlayer.

Whether this was a world-wide problem I don't know.

What I do know is that this morning when I tried, everything was working again as normal.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    Asking youtube-dl for it's version number and not getting it - or am I misunderstanding what that option does.

C:\Windows\system32>youtube-dl -version
    [debug] System config: []
    [debug] User config: []
    [debug] Custom config: []
    [debug] Command-line args: ['-version']
    Usage: youtube-dl [OPTIONS] URL [URL...]

youtube-dl: error: invalid rate limit specified

C:\Windows\system32>
    The parameter requires 2 dashes. Try "youtube-dl --version"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Gramps:
    Bless you for taking pity on me.

Update:
    Also the reason why I couldn't get any free proxies to work with youtube-dl until now (hangs head in shame).
    Last edited by sambat; 12th Sep 2019 at 14:29. Reason: Further expose myself to ridicule.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I am pleasantly surprised this morning to see that Video Download Helper is showing more video download options. I use it the most for downloading. But I value youtube-dl also because it can get the job done and thanks to jagabo I learned how to use it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I switched from Video Download Helper almost 2 years ago to youtube-dl.

youtube-dl gets the job done.
    Quote Quote