VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have this old canon fs200 and I can see I get a better video when I record on 'XP' mode.

But I can't see why.

When I get the details of the file in Win10 everything seems the same as SP mode.

720x576 25fps 9600kbps.

All the canon manual tells me is something about 3,6 and 9 Mbps recording. Which looks like that last parameter: 9600kbps. But as I say on win10 file specs list SP mode as the same as XP: 9600kbps for each of them.

Is the camera busted?

It's pretty crook performance, too, isn't it? What's a cheap better video cam, I wonder?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What does Mediainfo say?

What's a cheap better video cam, I wonder?
    It's a camera from 2009, how is that expensive? It's like $30 used on ebay.
    Last edited by KarMa; 9th Sep 2019 at 03:33.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Media info reports the same figures for those parameters ( or 'qualities' or whatever they are).

It's a camera from 2009, how is that expensive? It's like $30 used on ebay.
    I didn't say it was expensive. It wasn't. It was indeed only about $40 on ebay. But then batteries and charger put the weights up a bit.

Point is how much the next one that should replace it. I don't want to spend as much as $200 if I can avoid it. Spend too much on cameras as it is. Coming out of the family budget.

p.s. you're in the USA. I'm in Aus. All things cost more here. What costs you $10 can cost us $15. In your money. Then it needs translating into ours...

You've got the advantage of a market of 300 million people. We've got the advantage of the relative peace and quiet of only 25 million.
    Quote Quote  
  4. MediaInfo isn't always right. Try another program like Bitrate Viewer which fully parses the video. Or judge by file size -- a 9 Mb/s video should be about 1.5x bigger than a 6 Mb/s video of the same running time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    I didn't say it was expensive. It wasn't.
    For whatever reason I thought you wrote "cheaper", which is why I responded the way I did.

As Jagabo mentioned, Bitrate viewer would be a good starting point for you. Or you can post short (10-20 second) samples here. Or both.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    okay. thanks. I downloaded bitrateviewer and for the three modes, xp, sp, and lp I get respectively av rate: 9344,6844 and 9457.

all give 720x576 at 25fps.

I'm looking for higher resolutions. But they're all 720x576. I'm wrong? Then what benefit am I supposed to be getting? (even if I'm not).

I'll attach the three little test clips I took.

ah... I can't. They're invalid files. they .mod files. I'll have to convert them. to mp4 I guess.

done:
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by abrogard; 9th Sep 2019 at 17:52.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to the Canon documentation:

XP (app. 9 Mbps) High Image Quality
    SP (app. 6 Mbps) Standard
    LP (app. 3 Mbps) Long Play
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    I'm looking for higher resolutions. But they're all 720x576. I'm wrong?
    It's an SD camcorder. It's not going to give you more resolution.

Then what benefit am I supposed to be getting? (even if I'm not).
    Higher bitrates will result in less blocking artifacts. You won't notice this much on essentially still shots like those you uploaded.

You can upload the original files if you rename them from .MOD to .MPG. Reencoding the files to low bitrate AVC isn't going to tell us anything useful.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Sep 2019 at 18:15.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's an SD camcorder. It's not going to give you more resolution

So what is the XP, SP and LP doing for me? And how?

Higher bitrates will result in less blocking artifacts.
    So is that the benefit - 'less blocking artifacts' ?

I will upload again. I should have made a moving pic?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So is that the benefit - 'less blocking artifacts' ?
    Yes
    [Attachment 50062 - Click to enlarge]

Your smallest file has an average bitrate of 3Mbit, followed by 5Mbit, and 9Mbit on the biggest file. The 9,600 you see is simple the maximum allowed bitrate, not that it stays there for long.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In other words the whole thing is about compression.

If the camera can write the biggest file then it loses the least detail in the compression.

But even if it lost nothing - shooting in RAW mode, say - it couldn't/wouldn't create anything better than a 720x576.

I didn't realise. Didn't know. Got it now.

I definitely need a 4k camera I think. This thing's fine for indoor shots perhaps intended for youtube or something.

But I want outdoor intended for larger movie formats than a youtube pic.

Those Andoer and such things any good ? They all sure seem very cunning with their marketing on ebay I notice today.

You click on something at a price and then have to select from a dropdown whichever model you want. The thing you started with having disappeared as a choice.

And the price goes up.

And then you look at the specs and it is a while before you realise the specs you are looking at are not even the specs of the thing you've most recently been directed to - but instead are for something else, a 'higher' version or something, with yet a more increased price..

Makes me feel suspicious of them.

That canon is ten years old. ebay doesn't seem to throw up any list of second hand superseded things from those last ten years.

What happened to them all. They all died?
    Quote Quote