VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The only program I've been able to find was MPEG Video Wizard, but it isn't free, and this is not something I need to use very often.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    If I knew what a .rec file is (MediaInfo can tell some details), I may guess if e.g. ffmpeg can convert the container without recoding the content.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    If I knew what a .rec file is (MediaInfo can tell some details), I may guess if e.g. ffmpeg can convert the container without recoding the content.
    According to VideoReDo TV Suite (paid software), which can edit and export rec files, Topfield PVR recordings use a proprietary container that is basically a TS file with a header containing program information.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    As I guessed ... then there should be chances that ffmpeg is able to grab from the TS content streams what it can identify and put it into MP4.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gameshow Host View Post
    The only program I've been able to find was MPEG Video Wizard, but it isn't free, and this is not something I need to use very often.
    Go onto the Beyonwiz forum at https://www.beyonwiz.com.au/forum/ and ask there in the Off Topic Forum as there are many members that updated from Topfield to Beyonwiz PVR's, including me! but I can't remember what I used, probably Womble as I own that. MPEGStreamClip I think will handle them and VLC will certainly play .REC file

Depending on which model Topfield if it is SDTV ie mpeg2 video then ProjectX will handle it for editing and demuxing elements or simply changing to TS. TSDoctor will also do it but that is a paid program although there is a one month free period with nothing crippled. "Sometimes" just changing the suffix from REC to TS is sufficient.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just did a quick test and VidCoder will directly convert .REC files to MP4 or MKV

eneral
    Complete name : C:\Users\netmask\Desktop\the emperor concerto.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42 (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 448 MiB
    Duration : 26 min 14 s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 2 388 kb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2019-09-08 06:57:36
    Tagged date : UTC 2019-09-08 06:57:36
    Writing application : HandBrake 1.1.2 2018090500

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4
    Format settings : CABAC / 5 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, RefFrames : 5 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 26 min 14 s
    Bit rate : 2 221 kb/s
    Width : 706 pixels
    Height : 572 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 23.820 FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 18.734 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 23.981 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.231
    Stream size : 417 MiB (93%)
    Writing library : x264 core 155 r2901 7d0ff22
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=25000 / vbv_bufsize=31250 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.601 PAL
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601
    Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC LC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
    Duration : 26 min 13 s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 160 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 30.0 MiB (7%)
    Title : Stereo / Stereo
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1
    Last edited by netmask56; 8th Sep 2019 at 02:18.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Wow, thanks for the answers! This is such a great forum, I thought my question might be too obscure, but this is so helpful. I'll try all these suggestions, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I am new here so please be gentle! Sorry to hijack this thread but I am now looking for similar question to Gameshowhosts.

I can start a new thread if you feel it would be better....

Years ago I used to use Project X and or Videoredo (i think) and have to run the video through both in one order or another and rename the file type at points.

I have been using Freemake Video Converter for years and years now and have been using it to read .rec files from my Topfield PVRs and convert them to either .mp4 files or burn to DVD etc.
    The important bits are the fact it opens.rec files and you can trim and convert all in one.

But as some of you maybe aware Freemake keeps updating and now puts on a watermark on the video and a makers advert screen at the start and the end. So now totally rubbish.

It wouldn’t have been a problem but I just so happened to update my PC from windows 7 to 10 and naturally downloaded to latest version of Freemake. I could do with an old version now!!!! The version that was on the Windows 7 can't have been the latest.

I have used a guide to remove the parts either end and the watermark throughout but it still left the watermark on the video. It seems freemake have got wise and changed it since no doubt so now it doesn't fully work)

As per above in this thread i have tried VidCoder which does convert .rec to .mp4 ok.

I have also tried VLC player which reads .rec and converts to .mp4. BUT only seems to convert 5mins of video?

However I still need something to edit/trim the videos, ie remove either end and/or adverts.

I found a guide here to use windows 10 photo reader and then edit/create to trim the video but i won't save, gives me an error os 'it looks like you don't have permission to save this file, try saving a copy instead' although the only option is to save a copy!
    Even so if it worked i don't think it will edit out adverts! Just the ends.

https://www.howtogeek.com/355524/how-to-use-windows-10s-hidden-video-editor/

Freemake was so so simple and this is very annoying.

Help and advice appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TSDoctor will also open, fix and edit Topfield .rec format TS files. There is a trial period that fully works and then it's payware. By Australian standards inexpensive.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    TSDoctor will also open, fix and edit Topfield .rec format TS files. There is a trial period that fully works and then it's payware. By Australian standards inexpensive.
    Thanks for the fast reply. Giving it a go, have managed to cut i think, but how do i output it to say .mp4? Save option (bottom right corner) only gives to .ts or .m2ts?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To add to this i have saved from TS Doctor as a .ts file, opened this in VLC player and converted it to .mp4

TS Doctor is fast, better than freemake, VLC is very slow... but probably no worse than freemake speed was.

I would also like something that will alter the size of the output, ie with freemake you could put in a size (ie in MB) and i could for example reduce it by 30% so that it or a group of files would fit on a SD card or similar so they were all reduced or shrunk evenly to the same percentage if you like.

Converting it to .mp4 with VLC does of course reduce it, output file size is approx .62% of original by the looks of it, but i can't see any control of output file size on either TS Doctor or VLC.

I would happily pay for freemake if you got what you pay for but reading reviews just now it is now basicly a scam and not what it used to be, such a shame when it was perfect for my needs!!!
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Intel i5, 8GB ram
    Quote Quote  
  12. As others have said, .rec files are just the raw ts stream with a header added. As ts is expected to contain transmission errors, for the most part you can just rename with the ts extension and use the software of your choice directly. The header just looks like a burst of interference at the beginning.

The best free solution I have found is to demultiplex with ProjectX (will read .rec directly) and then use Cuttermaran to edit and export as mpg (mpeg2). Old software but ultra-reliable. A bit of a challenge to set up initially but, done correctly, Cuttermaran can do frame accurate editing just re-encoding at the edit points so very fast. The mpg files can then be used with most of the free software tools. I use VidCoder to convert to mp4 but most tools will read mpg/mpeg2 files.

Chris K
    Last edited by cjketle; 3rd Jan 2020 at 11:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After TSDoctor has made your TS file run it through Vidcoder to convert to mp4 and reduce size to whatever suits your needs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all of you for the advice....

I have used TS Doc and Vid Encoder to do what I wanted. Really like TS doctor and yes it's not alot of money, about £30.

I did however find an older version of freemake from 2014, which for now does work prior to any of this watermark rubbish imbedded, albeit not fast.

With a combination of most of the recommendations i have options either way

Glad i found the forum, could well be handy!
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Intel i5, 8GB ram
    Quote Quote  
  15. Another newbie, working from home thanks to the coronavirus.

Stumbled across this Forum with a similar query. Many thanks for the various posts and comments - interesting reading and very helpful.

My reason for posting is that I've found that simply changing the file name from .rec to .ts means that I can play my old Topfield recordings using the Movies & TV app include in Windows 10 (or I can watch them using VLC etc).

Might have a go at trimming the clips, but that's for another day!

Stay well and stay safe!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Had a chance to have a bit of a play, and here's what I can share:

Changing the file name from .rec to .ts and then trying to play with Movies & TV doesn't always work (not sure why), so I'm not doing that anymore.

TS-Doctor 3.0 works directly with my .rec files (no need to change the file name first), allows me to trim them and saves them as .ts files that VLC can play (which is my preferred option).
    VLC can also play the .rec files if needs be. Hence I no longer have a need to convert the .rec files into mp4 files.

Hope this helps someone else!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Just did a quick test and VidCoder will directly convert .REC files to MP4 or MKV
    Originally Posted by KevsterS View Post
    As per above in this thread i have tried VidCoder which does convert .rec to .mp4 ok.
    Does it simply convert, or re-encode? I installed it and had a go, but it seems to be re-encoding (undesirable as you have two generations of compression). Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong?
    Quote Quote