VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't been ab le to get a good download from youtube for some days now, not sure how long.

I get silent movies - no sound. I get movies that won't play. i get aborts.

I did the -U to get the latest version.

I just tried a george carlin and the same thing happened... no sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDO6HV6xTmI

p.s. having trouble with all my ordinary youtube downloaders, too, except this one that calls up 2conv.com, whatever that is, and it 'converts' the youtube file and downloads it. As mp4. Works fine. Only thing that does. Makes me think there's been a change in youtube.
    Last edited by abrogard; 6th Sep 2019 at 06:39.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I had no problem downloading the full 360p video. VP9+AAC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Average video editor Sviests's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If this helps in anyway try always adding also -f best+best to the youtube-dl commandline. This way it selects best video + best audio and you should pretty much always get video and audio streams.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Do you have ffmpeg alongside youtube-dl (e.g. in the same folder or %PATH%)? Youtube provides video and audio separately (mostly). With ffmpeg youtube-dl can first download video and audio and then merge them into a single file. If it still does not work like you expect add "-v" to the youtube-dl command and post the complete log.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ffmpeg is in the PATH.

I just gave it a try and got no file at all when I searched with 'everything'.

It puts everything in this syswow directory. That wouldn't have anything to do with it I guess?

If it already existed would it perhaps not replace it?

I'll delete every 'george carlin' in the syswow and try again..

this is the command and the powershell output:

PS C:\Windows\system32> youtube-dl -f best+best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDO6HV6xTmI
    [youtube] qDO6HV6xTmI: Downloading webpage
    [youtube] qDO6HV6xTmI: Downloading video info webpage
    [download] Destination: George Carlin - Death Penalty-qDO6HV6xTmI.f18.mp4
    [download] 100% of 23.01MiB in 00:04
    [download] George Carlin - Death Penalty-qDO6HV6xTmI.f18.mp4 has already been downloaded
    [download] 100% of 23.01MiB
    [ffmpeg] Merging formats into "George Carlin - Death Penalty-qDO6HV6xTmI.mp4"
    ERROR: file:George Carlin - Death Penalty-qDO6HV6xTmI.f18.mp4: No such file or directory
    PS C:\Windows\system32>
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you open cmd in C:\Windows\system32 that's your working directory. By default youtube-dl saves there (most cli software assumes working directory for input/output if you only specify a filename). But you cannot write there without admin rights. So no file is actually written. That's my guess. So open cmd in a folder where you can write (e.g. Desktop) or navigate there or set an output folder. (Youtube-dl has good documentation.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help guys. All good. At the last attempt it worked. With the -f best+best argument.

I don't understand. 'best' is the default for youtube-dl I thought. But I'm happy while it is working. I will study a bit, that's obviously what I need to do.

Last edited by abrogard; 6th Sep 2019 at 18:21.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Sviests View Post
    If this helps in anyway try always adding also -f best+best to the youtube-dl commandline. This way it selects best video + best audio and you should pretty much always get video and audio streams.
    Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    I don't understand. 'best' is the default for youtube-dl I thought.
    This is not true. From youtube-dl docs:
    best: Select the best quality format represented by a single file with video and audio.
    Youtube offers higher resolutions and newer codecs only as separate streams.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ahh... 'as a single file'

i don't only need to read the docs, I need to read them carefully....

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You shouldn't pollute your System or SysWOW64 folders with user files and downloads. Put youtube-dl and its support files in their own folder somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not trying to do it. The system does it. Best of my understanding is that it does it because I have a 64 bit system and the output from 32 bit apps go into it.

youtube-dl is 32 bit I guess?

if you're knowledgeable about syswow64 I'd appreciate some information. It's got over 5000 files in it for > 6G of space. That's on C: I've also got another on D: from an old windows install.

I'd like to know just what I can do - delete all contents, don't touch, what?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Do not delete random files from syswow64. That is where 64 bit Windows keeps important files for running 32 bit programs (dll files, utilities, etc.). If you delete the wrong files in that folder you will screw up your Windows installation.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will delete nothing. Maybe the recently downloaded from youtube-dl if I can identify them, which I probably can. I'll leave everything else alone.
    Quote Quote  
  14. 6 GB is pretty large for a syswow64 folder. On a few Win7 systems I looked at here they all had 1 to 2 GB. You probably have some downloaded videos (or partial aborted downloads) in there.
    Quote Quote