VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which CD/DVD/BD label and cover making software do you prefer (OTHER THAN RonyaSoft)? I make my own labels and covers and I just need something to properly scale and print them.

Thanks for reading!

(My apologies if this is the wrong forum.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look up CD/DVD labels and you'll numerous posts about how they cause playback errors that may not show up years later due to warping of the discs. Remove the labels and they usually play fine. Either use a Sharpie or get a disc printer and printable surface discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Acoustica CD DVD Label Maker seemed like a good product when I tried it a few years ago. Acoustica CD DVD Label Maker can print directly on discs with a printable surface if the printer includes that feature. It isn't free but it isn't expensive either and has a free trial.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SureThing Disc Labeler
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem that Acaustica or SureThing offer DVD and BD cover printing. I'll keep shopping around, and I welcome more replies!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by User897 View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem that Acaustica or SureThing offer DVD and BD cover printing. I'll keep shopping around, and I welcome more replies!
    By "cover" do you mean a slipcase or do you mean the paper inserts used for labeling cases and jewel boxes? The Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker Features list says "Design and print jewel cases, DVD cases, and Blu-ray cases."
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Surething can print DVD and Blu-ray inserts.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by User897 View Post
    Acoustica:

Printing

Print directly on CD surfaces using more than 100 supported printer models from Epson, HP, Canon, and more
    Use Light Scribe to etch labels directly onto your CD or DVD surface using your drive's laser (requires LightScribe drive and disc)
    Print multiple LightScribe discs simultaneously - limited only by the number of LightScribe drives you've got attached to your computer
    Design and print jewel cases, DVD cases, and blu-ray cases
    Hundreds of brands and models of paper labels and insert papers supported
    Printer alignment wizard allows automatic compensation for out-of-alignment printers; alignment can also be adjusted for individual paper types
    Support for designing and printing all the miscellaneous spines & labels that get added to the corners of disc label papers
    Optionally print borders or fold lines for inserts
    Optionally fade the edges when printing on printable discs so that if your printer lacks perfect alignment, white edges around the disc look more natural
    Automatic extra bleeding on paper labels and inserts to help compensate for wonky printer alignments
    Real-time preview of all Light Scribe disc colors; no need to launch a print-preview dialog to see how your Light Scribe disc will look when you print it
    Change your target paper type, disc template, etc. at any time - no need to lock in an output target when you create your project; you can design your CD label for, say,
    Neato paper, then decide to print it instead on Memorex paper, a printable disc, etc.

I've printed DVD/BD case inserts many times in the past. And as has been said.... sticky back labels are not recommended, they just don't aren't worth the effort. I found this out the hard way as most people have over the years.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Indeed. Good point. Usually, if I apply a label to a burned disc, it's more of a show and tell kind of thing. I keep the labeled disc in the case, and actually keep a copy in the clip with no label in a paper sleeve for actual playing. Looks like I have more research to do about these different apps. Thanks everyone for the replies. Please keep the suggestions coming in so I have something to research!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Wow I didn't think this kind of thing would come up again, but it has. And because of that, I need to refresh peoples' understanding.

Printing covers and inserts is always fine. Printing LABELS ON DISC, otoh, is a bad idea. Not only do those labels not retain their stick after a while, but it can make a disc have "out of balance" issues in a player, especially if not put on properly-centered.
    More importantly, if there is ever the possibility of someone trying to peel them off, YOU SHOULD NOT PUT THEM ON CDS (whether CDRs, CDRWs or even CDROMs)!
    While DVDs and Blurays store their data on a layer that is in the middle of the disc's vertical sandwich (for DVD), or closer to the bottom but still with some protection layer in between (for Blurays), CDs store their data almost directly under the top layer. That means if the top surface of the disc gets peeled/warped/scratched/flaked, it has a high likelihood of damaging the data immediately underneath.

Do what you want, but you've been warned.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [Attachment 65820 - Click to enlarge]
    Good quality printable discs are my alternative.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Acoustica CD/DVD Printer for some years, but then started having issues with it and moved onto SureThing Gold. Not as simple to use for simple prints, but offers a lot more for better quality prints and labels

I tried sticky CD labels years and years ago when CD printing first came out, I stopped using it very quickly when it caused numerous issues with disc reads with the common causes of labels. Too heavy, too sticky, out of balance and various others

I used Epson label printers for years and refillable cartridges that I filled myself when ink was very expensive and cartridges cost even more. Then Epson started making it very difficult for generic cartridges with chip detection in the printers so then couldn't be reset without chip reset devices which Epson then started making impossible to reset chips

I then moved onto a Canon Pixma 7200/7250 CD printers and still use the same model I used over 5 years ago, with very very cheap generic ink cartridges of 5 full sets of 5 cartridges per set for about £10-£15 with postage . You NEED to keep a close watch on when it says ink needs changing, you MUST change the cartridges otherwise it WILL kill your printhead when the ink runs out and gets air in or very hard to dissolve dried ink. I killed a printer ignoring the change cartridge warning and forgot to change it until the ink cartridge ran totally dry. Printheads cost more than a new printer, so pointless but wasteful when its just the printhead that needs changing

I tried HP printers a long time ago, but are VERY expensive to run as HP changes the printhead with cartridges and had loads of problems with grabbing multiple sheets when trying to print, so ending up with paper jams constantly. Also, HP printers don't like infrequent prints. They need to be used regular or the printhead WILL block

For box printing, I used thin A4 glossy paper. I tried thick glossy paper/card but it was difficult to fold and print as a batch. Thin glossy A4 runs through the printer without jamming as a normal paper feed but gives MUCH better prints than plain A4 paper that absorbs the ink. You WILL use a lot more as its printing on glossy so need to change the settings to quality printing but the results are a massive improvement on plain A4, plus drying time of a few seconds to avoid smearing
    Last edited by steptoe; 9th Jul 2022 at 15:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice, your experience is quite similar to mine, except I was using the Canon Pixma iP3000 series for years and now the Canon MX920 series. However, now both those are discontinued, as is your Canon Pixma 7200/7250.

What currently available Canon printers include the disc printing feature?

Two of my three Canon MX920 series are erroring out at present. I still have a couple more standing by in the closet, but I'm wondering what the next replacement for disc printing will be.

Unless someone knows how to fix a 5011 error code on these Canons?
    Quote Quote