VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just opened a box of 50 VHS tapes I'll be converting for a friend, and had a moment of panic when I realized they're VHS-C. In retrospect, I'm an idiot and the size of the box should have been a giveaway.

Right now the plan is to use a JVC C-P7U adapter in my AG-1980, but I've read that the VHS-C to VHS adapters are known for eating tapes. Is there a better option in 2019? Old threads have seen recommendations of getting a good JVC camcorder with a built-in TBC, and I've messaged the friend to ask if the original camcorder is still available. But while I wait to find out of it's available (and in good condition) I want to get an alternative in place. I see lots of JVC C-P7U adapters are still available new-in-box, but am not sure if a good VHS-C camcorder (that's clean, well-aligned, and functions properly) can realistically be found these days?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ebay has plenty of VHS-C camcorders - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=VHS-c+camcorder&_sacat=0
    i used to use the VHS-C adapters in my VCRs and never had any issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never the camcorder. VHS-C is a really craptastic format, and the cameras make for terrible players. The camera were barely good recorders!

Always get the Matsushita (JVC/Panasonic) based motorized adapter. There are a few rebadges/clones, but you need to be really careful. The JVC CP7U is what I use. What you don't want is a plastic POS from the likes or RCA, Memorex, etc.

And, of course, always use a quality VCR known to not eat VHS-C tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    C-P7U already on the way. Are there any other VHS-C playback devices I should consider having on hand to complement it? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tig_ View Post
    C-P7U already on the way. Are there any other VHS-C playback devices I should consider having on hand to complement it? Thanks!
    Nope.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I second the JVC motorized one, I've had mine for years and never had a problem with it, Just don't leave the battery in it if not used for a while.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Funny you mention it, while deciding on the C-P7U I think it was right here at VH I read a post (for all I know, one you wrote) mentioning the battery! On that note, does anyone know whether or not it's okay to use rechargeables (like Eneloops) in that adapter? I don't know if rechargeable AAs were even available when the C-P7U was designed, and wonder if the voltage variance would impact it at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use rechargeable on mine, Rechargeables are like 1.2V full charge while non rechargeables are about 1.5V new.
    Quote Quote