VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I can't seem to find a good filter for removing color noise.

I have a video where there is quite a lot of it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SomeoneNeutral View Post
    I can't seem to find a good filter for removing color noise.

I have a video where there is quite a lot of it
    Post a sample.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. from the video?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, post a sample from the video that has not been re-encoded.

CNR is an old filter that works on some types of VHS color noise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you mean saturation rather than just colour noise? Or is it chrominance vs luminance noise? I use Avisynth, but that is very difficult for most people without a bit of time consuming reading and many errors along the way.

Most FFMeg GUI related programs allow you to adjust colour saturation, but most likely useless for your needs. I found a basic one link below with some options to tinker with colour. These programs are ten a penny, but some are good.

The best ones are commercial like Sony Vegas and expensive! Adobe After Effects is another for colour noise etc.

https://makeyoutubevideo.com/freecolorvideo.html
    Last edited by azmoth; 31st Aug 2019 at 09:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Image
    [Attachment 49984 - Click to enlarge]

I know it's quite unclear, but it is a video with a lot of motion. It's also only 20 seconds long. This was when the camera was the most still and you can clearly see a lot of color artifacts in the screenshot. It's not from a VHS

I will probably use mClean on just the noise. mClean doesn't work well on color noise for me.

so I need something that can just remove the color noise
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't think StaxRip supports it directly but in AviSynth you can use MergeChroma(luma, chroma) to combine the luma of one video with the chroma of another. Among other things, that filter is useful when you want to apply very strong filtering to the chroma but less strong (or no) filtering to the luma (or vice versa).

But you need to provide a video sample, not an image. The best noise reduction filters work temporally as well as spacially.
    Last edited by jagabo; 31st Aug 2019 at 12:01.
    Quote Quote