VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

I am trying to figure out if there is a device that would be able to play various formats and resolutions of video (until someone properly recomends me what format should I use for mastering in other thread) and has analog output of S-video and audio, connectors are irrelevant. Built in TBC is welcome. The analog output will be fed to VCR.

Also, if there is a device that can work in both ways to playback video file and record analog to digital, that would be perfect. I was considering to use Blackmagic's Intensity, or Teranex and Hyperdeck to record, but what about playback of video masters rendered in PC?

But the main goal is to avoid several machines and achive playback of video master and analog out withi one device.

Playback from SSD or SD.

Built in monitor would be a blessing, but ref output is also usable, maybe HDMI, so as not to use SDI with a converter to HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TBCs are irrelevant unless a device plays analog tapes or digitizes analog tapes, so there are no digital media players which have one.

There are no hardware media players with S-Video out that I am aware of. There are some hardware media players (KDLINKS A400, Micca Spec G2) which have composite video and analog stereo out. Some Android TV boxes have AV out which can provide composite video and analog stereo output but most don't come with a break-out cable that would allow connecting anything to their mini AV port. The Popcorn Hour A500 has composite out and component video out pus stereo audio out.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Only S-Video is an option, as the VCR has only that type of input.

What about professional equipment, like the mentioned Blackmagics. as a last resort i might go with HDMI output through Intensity, or Hyperdeck with both SDI-to-Analog for recording and Analog-to-SDI for captturing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SF01 View Post
    Also, if there is a device that can work in both ways to playback video file and record analog to digital, that would be perfect. I was considering to use Blackmagic's Intensity, or Teranex and Hyperdeck to record, but what about playback of video masters rendered in PC?.
    Originally Posted by SF01 View Post
    Only S-Video is an option, as the VCR has only that type of input.

What about professional equipment, like the mentioned Blackmagics. as a last resort i might go with HDMI output through Intensity, or Hyperdeck with both SDI-to-Analog for recording and Analog-to-SDI for captturing.
    Which Blackmagic's Intensity, or Teranex and Hyperdeck models are you talking about?

Also, I should have asked earlier about your video masters. For example, lossless and near-lossless video codecs like UT's, ProRes, and DNxHR are mostly only playable with a computer running Windows, or in some cases, OSX. A hardware media player is very unlikely to play any of them, even the devices that run Android, due to the lack of a suitable decoder.

I don't have the Shuttle and know little about the device but maybe a Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle for USB 3.0 connected to a PC would be your best bet for S-video output from a PC, although the device has the reputation of being finicky about the PC's USB 3.0 connection. The included software is supposed to be able to play video and output a signal via S-Video but I don't know what codecs are supported for playback.

There are some PCIe 2.0 video cards from about ten years ago with a TV-out port which could output a S-Video signal, but members here who had them said the "TV" output was poor quality. Also, they use proprietary break-out cables which are often missing when they are purchased in used condition. I don't think they are a good option.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Intensity:
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity
    Teranex Mini:
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/teranexmini
    HyperDeck Studio Mini:
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/hyperdeckstudiomini

I can master to whatever format, prefferably uncompressed, lossless, or 4:2:2, or whould I spend thousands on an old D1, D2, or D5 deck, transfer to digital tape and then to S-VHS? I actually already have a DVCAM deck, but DV is too compressed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not one of the "tape-heads" on this forum. From my perspective, VHS is completely dead as a video distribution or archive format. I think you need help from someone else.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You need to widen your perspective then, it is not dead, is is still active in the underground and there is still demand. People make custom Star Wars VHS tapes.

But forget that VHS part, let's focus on the devices up to the output connector.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You still need help from someone else.
    Quote Quote  
  9. This might fulfil some of your needs, if you're able to find one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686593-REG/Blackmagic_Design_BDLKULSPRO_UltraStudio_Pro.html

It's a USB 3.0 device that does capture, upscale and downscale conversion. It has a monstrous breakout cable but no RCA audio connections.

I got one recently but haven't tried it beyond a few VHS captures. I have it connected through a video mixer with XLR outputs for the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try a VGA to S-Video converter. I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD1882-Composite-Converter-Monitors/dp/B009OMYHJU/ref=sr...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== . The signal is degraded, but probably better than going from digital HDMI to analog S-Video. The catch is having a PC or laptop with VGA out. Though you could put a secondary VGA video card in your PC.

Even if you find a media player with S-Video out, it will be outdated and unable to play any of the new formats, both codecs and containers.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The trick is I do not need anything to be plugged to a computer. My laptop still has VGA though, however I am skeptical as I have no idea how to hide the computer interface over the VGA output to VCR.
    One option would be a regular player with HDMI to be plugged to my AV receiver that will do DAC and output video over S-video and RCA to duplicator. Or go the more expensive way and something along the line of the aforementioned Hyperdeck and Teranex. Or use Intensity in place of AV receiver.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Set your software player to fullscreen like you would output to a TV.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Might be the case, but i still need to press play, it wil ldisplay some overlay.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Add a second or two of black before and after the end of the video. You'd have the same issue with a media player at the start and end of the video.
    Quote Quote