VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I lost my wedding ring, I could see in my ring video I had it in when I left that morning but my video when I came home was taken with night vision and I can’t see my hands because of the effect. Is there any hope to alter the video to see my hands. This is my only lead and I have been crying for hours. Any help is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. One can alter the color and contrast of any video to a greater or lesser extent. Please post a sample. Night vision is not an "effect," it is a way of seeing different parts of the spectrum than normal.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Night vision with security cameras and trail cameras is usually done with an infrared light, using the infrared portion of the sensor's capability. The problem with infrared is that it is such a long wavelength that it cannot resolve details, so everything becomes nothing much more than outlines, with details like individual hairs, wrinkles, and yes, rings, all blended together.

Without seeing an actual picture it is hard to know for sure, but having looked at tens of thousands of IR security stills, I can't hold out much hope that you'll be able to see anything.

I assume you are trying to figure out whether it might simply be lost at home, in which case you can turn the place upside down, looking for it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Night vision with security cameras and trail cameras is usually done with an infrared light, using the infrared portion of the sensor's capability. The problem with infrared is that it is such a long wavelength that it cannot resolve details, so everything becomes nothing much more than outlines, with details like individual hairs, wrinkles, and yes, rings, all blended together.

Without seeing an actual picture it is hard to know for sure, but having looked at tens of thousands of IR security stills, I can't hold out much hope that you'll be able to see anything.

I assume you are trying to figure out whether it might simply be lost at home, in which case you can turn the place upside down, looking for it.

Not sure if I aM replying to this post correctly, I am just desperately trying to find help anywhere I can. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0z1X4fR4BDdbjT6DxXGUPBOhw
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    One can alter the color and contrast of any video to a greater or lesser extent. Please post a sample. Night vision is not an "effect," it is a way of seeing different parts of the spectrum than normal.
    Any help will be very much appreciated, I am clinging on to any hope I have left. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0z1X4fR4BDdbjT6DxXGUPBOhw
    Quote Quote  
  6. Unfortunately, the Hollywood movies which show detail being extracted from video are 100% phony. I looked at each frame, and not only is there not enough detail, you never really expose the ring finger because of the stuff you were holding.

So, I can't tell.

Just keep looking and hopefully your ring will turn up.

My wife put my ring on my finger at the altar, forty-one years ago, and I've never once taken it off. That's the only sure way to keep from losing it. My brother lost his only a few years after he was married and got another one. It was a little sad at the time, but the new one was just the same.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 27th Aug 2019 at 15:04.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Unfortunately, the Hollywood movies which show detail being extracted from video are 100% phony. I looked at each frame, and not only is there not enough detail, you never really expose the ring finger because of the stuff you were holding.

So, I can't tell.

Just keep looking and hopefully your ring will turn up.

My wife put my ring on my finger at the altar, forty-one years ago, and I've never once taken it off. That's the only sure way to keep from losing it. My brother lost his only a few years after he was married and got another one. It was a little sad at the time, but the new one was just the same.

Thank you for trying, it means more than you know!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A long shot but just might work/be lucky. Borrow a metal detector and go over the area slowly and have a "fresh" set of eyes with you. Hopefully someone who doesn't chatter all the time but is single minded in looking for a ring!
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote