VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to record a classroom session to upload to an online school site as well as create training videos to upload to YouTube, usually one subject in each video. Is DSLR a better option than a Camcorder? I'm concerned with the time limit with DSLR but also concerned that Camcorder technology seems to be getting outdated. Any advice would be great, Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pjames7 View Post
    Camcorder technology seems to be getting outdated. Any advice would be great, Thanks
    What exactly do you mean by Camcorder? As modern ones are just fine. And DSLRs are just fine for that application as long as that model isn't known to overheat during recording.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking at the Sony A6400 DSLR with an external mic which I was ready to purchase but I was told you only have 30 min. of record time then have to hit the record button again, I want to be able to record about an hour of class time without interruptions so he recommended a Camcorder. I was told by a camera store that Prosumer Camcorders would be a thing of the past so I'm here in the forum looking for advice so I don't make a bad investment. Thanks
    Last edited by pjames7; 26th Aug 2019 at 23:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pjames7 View Post
    I'm looking at the Sony A6400 DSLR with an external mic which I was ready to purchase but I was told you only have 30 min. of record time then have to hit the record button again, I want to be able to record about an hour of class time without interruptions so he recommended a Camcorder. I was told by a camera store that Prosumer Camcorders would be a thing of the past so I'm here in the forum looking for advice so I don't make a bad investment. Thanks
    From the link below

"Videographers discovered that the a6300 had a tendency to overheat when recording long video clips. I tried to get the a6400 to overheat when recording video at 4K quality, but to no avail. There is no 29-minute recording limit, so you'll be able to record footage until your memory card fills up or the battery empties."

https://www.pcmag.com/review/366036/sony-a6400
    Quote Quote  
  5. It all depends of what YOU need, DSLR are time limited, most because of this. The thing about "Camcorders would be a thing of the past" it's pure BS, If you need to shoot over 30 min of video you need a camcorder. People that sell you stuff only care about their needs, not yours.

Remember, google an youtube are your friends, good luck with your research:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt9juc6uQrs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNQK-EiKpLM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by amaipaipai View Post
    It all depends of what YOU need, DSLR are time limited, most because of this. The thing about "Camcorders would be a thing of the past" it's pure BS, If you need to shoot over 30 min of video you need a camcorder. People that sell you stuff only care about their needs, not yours.
    Often times they are limited by the filesize than the duration with them mostly staying to 4GB file sizes. Something like the DSLR Canon 800D is limited to 4GB files but will automatically continue on with another file. Then there's the Canon C100 which is a professional Cinema 1080p video camera which is limited to 2GB files but will automatically make a new file every 2GBs. You just have to read carfully into the manual to make sure when picking a camera that it will automatically create a new file or has no limits. And won't overheat.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advice you folks are a great help
    Quote Quote