VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I have a .avs ready to encode! I want to encode it in as high a quality as possible. Im using SD footage VirtualDub2 for my encoding. I'd like the encode to take about 30-40 mins each if thats possible. I know next to nothing about encoding but I wanna learn! So any help would be great thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Fraugster View Post
    Hi, I have a .avs ready to encode! I want to encode it in as high a quality as possible.
    Are you sure? Will you be able to play it on your intended player? Many x264 settings will not work on Blu-ray players, for example.

Originally Posted by Fraugster View Post
    Im using SD footage VirtualDub2 for my encoding. I'd like the encode to take about 30-40 mins each if thats possible.
    That means nothing without knowing how long the videos are and what CPU you're using. 5 minute clips? 2 hour movies?

I know next to nothing about encoding but I wanna learn! So any help would be great thank you!
    Are you planning to encode with VirtualDub? Or x264 CLI? If VirtualDub try just using the presets to start. I use x2654 CLI with a batch file like:

Code:
    start /b /low "x264" "g:\program files\x264\x264-64bit.exe" --preset=slow --tune=film --crf=18 --keyint=50 --sar=1:1 --colormatrix=smpte170m --output "%~1.mkv" "%~1"
    pause
    You can drag/drop the AVS script onto that. You need to change the path to x264 to match where it is on your system. I modify the script for individual videos when necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Long time no see @jagabo. It was my EVA script that I was ready to encode. The videos are all 23 mins each. I have a i7 7820x. id like to encode with virtualdub2, but I am open to other UI's if necessary. I'd honestly prefer something more automatic like Adobe Media Encoder but I havent found one like that. I went back through my script and watched a bit of the episodes and the opening text looks abysmal honestly. Something to do with my deinterlace method and how it was originally interlaced I believe. I'd wanna fix that before I begin encoding. My previous attempts had to much artifacting for my taste and I'd prefer something more DVD quality with a high bitrate and low compression noise.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Start with the slow preset with tuning for film, CRF 16 to 20. You should get reasonable picture quality and better than realtime encoding with that.

23 minutes each? Is this a TV series? If so, you probably want an inverse telecine, not QTGMC. If these are animated use the animation tuning in x264, not film.

Do you have any playback restrictions? "The best" with x264 is lossless, CRF=0 or QP=0. But the files will be huge and not much outside a computer will play them. Around CRF=12 is visually lossless even when A/B flipping between the source and the encoded video using a screen magnifier. Around CRF=18 is pretty clean at normal playback speed but you will see minor differences with A/B flipping. One reason I usually stick to the slow preset is that it's mostly Blu-ray compatible -- not to many reference frames or consecutive b-frames, even with HD video. Media players built into TVs and Blu-ray players may not go much beyond that. Something to consider.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Start with the slow preset with tuning for film, CRF 16 to 20. You should get reasonable picture quality and better than realtime encoding with that.

23 minutes each? Is this a TV series? If so, you probably want an inverse telecine, not QTGMC. If these are animated use the animation tuning in x264, not film.

Do you have any playback restrictions? "The best" with x264 is lossless, CRF=0 or QP=0. But the files will be huge and not much outside a computer will play them. Around CRF=12 is visually lossless even when A/B flipping between the source and the encoded video using a screen magnifier. Around CRF=18 is pretty clean at normal playback speed but you will see minor differences with A/B flipping. One reason I usually stick to the slow preset is that it's mostly Blu-ray compatible -- not to many reference frames or consecutive b-frames, even with HD video. Media players built into TVs and Blu-ray players may not go much beyond that. Something to consider.
    I'm gonna be using Plex and PCs. If I wanna show my friends I invite them to plex. It is a TV show, 26 episodes. Ive tried IVTC but it didnt remove scanlines properly because of the changing pattern. I'm not entirely sure but yadifmod2 worked better. I want to export an uncompressed AVI because I need to do additional work in After Effects. When I extract it, its gonna take 3 days. Im assuming this is normal? Is there a way to speed it up?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Fraugster View Post
    Ive tried IVTC but it didnt remove scanlines properly because of the changing pattern. I'm not entirely sure but yadifmod2 worked better.
    Upload a sample (not reencoded) if you would like a second opinion on how to deal with that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Ive tried IVTC but it didnt remove scanlines properly because of the changing pattern. I'm not entirely sure but yadifmod2 worked better.
    Upload a sample (not reencoded) if you would like a second opinion on how to deal with that.
    I apologise. I have a bad habit of jumping ahead. I fixed the issue and now I'm exporting uncompressed avis of each episode. They're about 15gb a piece so not bad.
    Quote Quote