VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone!

I make Youtube videos. I'm a beginner filmmaker.

Recently, I read some articles and some posts on the internet that suggests that if you're using a camera that uses H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, and you're making videos for commercial gain, then you have to pay royalties to MPEG-LA (or you have to get licenses - I didn't completely get that).

I read the license files that these posts/articles mentioned and it has something to say about using the software for personal and non-commercial uses only.

Does anyone have knowledge about these things? Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Everything you upload to youtube is reencoded by youtube. Nobody will know you uploaded an h.264 video. In any case youtube's h.264 license probably covers you.

https://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/know-your-rights-h-264-patent-licensing-and-you/

If you are selling h.264 videos directly to users you may need a license.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Aug 2019 at 09:37.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Khan1998 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I make Youtube videos. I'm a beginner filmmaker.

Recently, I read some articles and some posts on the internet that suggests that if you're using a camera that uses H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, and you're making videos for commercial gain, then you have to pay royalties to MPEG-LA (or you have to get licenses - I didn't completely get that).

I read the license files that these posts/articles mentioned and it has something to say about using the software for personal and non-commercial uses only.

Does anyone have knowledge about these things? Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.
    If you're using a camera that records to AVC, then the camera manufacture is the one that needs the license, not you. For distribution, that gets a bit trickier, maybe you would need a license to distribute the footage you recorded BUT I'm a firm believer of in "what they don't know won't hurt you", but as was pointed out by Jagabo since You Tube is re-encoding everything anyway, they are the ones that need a license, not you.

Besides, who really cares, let them try and sue you, what will they get? A pack of gum? LOL.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to both of you for replying!

I did some research about this topic individually too, and now I believe that in my case Youtube is liable for the royalties.

But what if I'm incorporating commercial content in my videos (like sponsors). In this case am I responsible for royalties?

I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to these things even though I know no one's gonna sue me.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Would you please think for a second? You list your place of residence as India, U.S. Copyright Laws do not apply in India, they are not enforceable in India.

But if you're that paranoid just use VP9.
    Quote Quote