VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, dear all.

Does it possible create subtitles like this one below?

[Attachment 49917 - Click to enlarge]

The letter is "surrounded" by a kind of transparent / translucent black rectangle ( or maybe even possible apply other colors too ) frame.

Notice: such transparent / translucent rectangle black frame allow the audience see the video behind it. Only the letters are enhanced / highlighted because of the contrast of it's colors and the frame itself.

The purpose of such frame is make the letter become very clear / sharp for reading no matter video color / movement changes.

Such kind of subtitle is hard to be done?

I guess ( if it is possible ) ASS format can do something like that.

If you could point some settings and programs it will be nice.

Thanks for your time!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi, dear all.

@ jagabo

Hi. I'll study more deeply inside the links you provide.

But at first reading I could see that the black rectangle frame was not semi-transparent or transparent just like the picture above ( on my example ). They are solid, opaque and cover the video, hiding the images / video / scenes behind the frame itself.

I want a soft / removable subtitles. Not hardcoded / permanent on the video.

And I want a black box frame "adapted", "resized" for each subtitles lines number of characters.

Not a black box frame "equal" in length for all the subtitles, like covering side-to-side of the video.

In the example I provide above for each subtitle lines the black box frame cover only the letters showed on the screen.

In a exact size / way to cover each line letters in lenght precisely.

When do we have 2 lines, the black box frame "use" the longest line to set the rectangle size for covering both of the two lines.

I could find one link talking something about it:

---> https://videolocalize.com/how-to-burn-subtitles-with-transparent-background-with-videolocalize/

Does it possible to create such "soft" subtitle using ASS / SSA format? Some online sites like Netflix can create such kind of subtitles in appearence.

Thanks for your time!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 25th Aug 2019 at 22:40.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You could adapt the SSA subs and my AviSynth script to get close to what you want if you're hard subbing. But I don't know if any soft subtitle format supports what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If your player support dvd/blu-ray subs you can convert them to that format and it will do what you want,they will be graphic based subs but can be switched off.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi, dear all.

The sample I showed before is from an online site that I bought a subscription service, just like Netflix.

I wonder how they create such kind of subtitling "system" or "type", because we can choose the videos and turn off and turn on the subtitles. In many languages. They are on line streaming videos.

I would like to create ( if it's possible ) subtitles similar those ones!

Those subtitles are maybe graphic based subs? Or maybe are they based something like xml subtitle format?

I know that we have professional subtitling formats, like EBU-TT-D, EBU-standard and Teletext “.stl” and others, created by tools like Cavena Tempo, Softni, EZTitles and similar ones. Maybe such professional subtitling formats can do it. Maybe not.

[Attachment 49918 - Click to enlarge]

---> https://www.bbc.com/academy-guides/how-do-i-create-subtitles

---> https://bbc.github.io/subtitle-guidelines/

Thanks for your time!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 25th Aug 2019 at 23:44.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just for fun... AVS technique with SSA adapted for a semi transparent background.

Normal SSA:
    [Attachment 49920 - Click to enlarge]

SSA with solid background:
    [Attachment 49921 - Click to enlarge]

SSA with semi transparent background via AVS:
    [Attachment 49922 - Click to enlarge]

Code:
    AviSource("video.avi") 

Black = BlankClip(last, color=$000000)
    White = BlankClip(last, color=$FFFFFF).ColorYUV(off_y=20) # force white to superwhite (Y=235 to Y=255)

bmask = TextSub(white, "video2.ssa", 0, 0).mt_binarize(254, true).mt_expand().mt_expand().mt_expand().mt_expand(chroma="-128")
    Overlay(last, black, opacity=0.40, mask=bmask) # expanded black box 

TextSub("video.ssa") # write subs
    video.ssa is the sub with transparent backgroud.
    Code:
    [V4 Styles]
    Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, TertiaryColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, AlphaLevel, Encoding
    Style: gunnm,Tahoma,          45,    &H00FFFFFF,      &H000000FF,     &H00000000, &H00000000,    0,      0,           1,       1,      1,         2,      30,      30,      30,          0,        0
    video2.ssa is the sub with the solid black background (border style changed from 1 to 3).
    Code:
    [V4 Styles]
    Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, TertiaryColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, AlphaLevel, Encoding
    Style: gunnm,Tahoma,          45,    &H00FFFFFF,      &H000000FF,     &H00000000, &H00000000,    0,      0,           3,       1,      1,         2,      30,      30,      30,          0,        0
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Aug 2019 at 23:58.
    Quote Quote  
  7. @ jagabo

Hi. Please, can you explain more in detail? How can I do it properly? Which program can do it? Soft subtitles?

What is "AVS technique"? And " SSA adapted"? And how to create "semi transparent background", black and even other colours?

Thanks for your time again!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  8. I added some details to the previous post. As noted, it requires hard subbing since it uses AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @ jagabo

Hi. Thanks for your explanation. Those results you gave were similar to my sample given before. But they are for hard subbing, using AviSynth. Not soft subtitles yet.

I could find something that maybe can helps a little:

---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wcgxC7TWyU ( How to make Transparent Box behind Subtitles with Aegisub | TUTORIAL )

Do you have an idea how some onlines site create such kind of subtitles? With those effects? Which programs they use to create such subtitles?

In the video above I could see that the author could create semi transparent black box on the subtitles.

But the black box is resized to fit each line by it's own length only. But not for 2 lines at the same time. It's nice though.

But does it possible to create a subtitle with a semi transparent black box resized according only to the longest line? Instead according 1 line per 1 line?

I mean: for those subtitles containing 2 lines, the program would create a box resized according to the longest line only.

And both of lines will be "covered" behind according the box size to the longest one.

In the sample below we have 2 lines. But the black box was resized according only to to the longest one line.

And the created black box covered both lines in equal size. A perfect rectangle that covered equally both lines.

Does it possible to be done using Aegisub or similar programs?

[Attachment 49923 - Click to enlarge]

Thanks for your explanation!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Do you have an idea how some onlines site create such kind of subtitles? With those effects? Which programs they use to create such subtitles?
    I assume they use JavaScript based players to make them appear that way in a web browser. You cannot create them on your PC in such a way it simply works on every player.
    So after you have decided you want soft subtitltes (can be turned on/off) you also need to tell us which player you want to use.

Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    But the black box is resized to fit each line by it's own length only. But not for 2 lines at the same time.
    There is the ASS BorderStyle 4 but it's not supported by vsfilter based software (MPC-HC, MPC-BE, AviSynth TextSub()), only libass based software (VLC, mpv, HandBrake, ffmpeg ..) so yet again knowledge about the player(s) you use is crucial.
    Quote Quote  
  11. @ sneaker

Hi. I can use vlc and MPV. I prefer soft subtitles.

I assume they use JavaScript based players to make them appear that way in a web browser. You cannot create them on your PC in such a way it simply works on every player.
    We can't do similar thing to make such subtitles works on all kind of players on our PC?

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ok. In Aegisub's Styles Manager edit the Default style of the script. Set shadow width to 0. In the Outline color selector set some Alpha for transparency. Save to .ass file. Edit .ass file with e.g. notepad or other simple text editor to set BorderStyle to 4. Then either mux with video to .mkv using MKVToolNix or leave them as external (fonts can be added as mkv attachments). Then VLC and mpv should be able to display them how you want.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I can verify BorderStyle 4 along with an alpha in the BackColor works in VLC and SMPlayer. It didn't work in MPCHC, MPCBE, PotPlayer, or KMPlayer. And outside a PC almost nothing supports SSA subs.

Screen cap of VLC:
    [Attachment 49924 - Click to enlarge]

Code:
    [V4 Styles]
    Style: gunnm,Tahoma,          45,    &H00FFFFFF,      &H000000FF,     &H00000000, &HA0000000,    0,      0,           4,       1,      1,         2,      30,      30,      30,          0,        0
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi, dear all.

@ jagabo + @ sneaker

Thanks fou you help!

I'll try those tips to create such subtitles here and test all those settings.

I can verify BorderStyle 4 along with an alpha in the BackColor works in VLC and SMPlayer.
    It didn't work in MPCHC, MPCBE, PotPlayer, or KMPlayer.
    For that programs that didn't work, does exist a way to make them do it properly?

SRT format do not support such kind of styles on subtitles like SSA / AAS does, right?

It's a pity that very few places support SSA / AAS formats.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    For that programs that didn't work, does exist a way to make them do it properly?
    In theory, if you can find a DirectShow subtitle filter that supports SSA mode 4 it will be available to any media player in Windows. I haven't seen one, though I haven't really looked. You might have better luck with DVD or Blu-ray sub formats (bitmap based subs).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubStation_Alpha

Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    SRT format do not support such kind of styles on subtitles like SSA / AAS does, right?
    Some players support some HTML extensions to SRT that might allow such a feature. But it will be hit-and-miss, just like SSA. For your own use, you could make a batch file that builds an AviSynth script then starts a media player to display the AVS script.

MPCHC playing AVS script:
    [Attachment 49925 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  16. assfiltermod adds libass rendering to MPC-HC, and possibly some other players when used with madvr (it uses the "home-brew" SubRenderIntf - few renderers use that)

It's not like MPC-HC doesn't support ASS, it's just that BorderStyle=4 is kind of a thing only libass implemented. The author of Media Player Classic designed SSA and vsfilter IIRC.
    Quote Quote  
  17. By the way, MPCHC and MPCBE have an option for opaque backgrounds with SRT subs.
    Quote Quote