VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys my laptop is an i5 7200u 8gb ddr4 and I have from maybe three years I just love this laptop, the thing is a week ago I just change the thermal paste I clean all inside and put on processor the Artic MX4 2019 edition because Iīm currently using Handbrake for encoding from big size MKV with 2 pass to an MKV with lower size, the encoding process takes almost 8/10 hours and I let the encoding do his job on night , Iīm very worry about temperature and the cooler fan of course. I never use before my laptop for this.

When I encode some MKV Coretemp says Tj max (in Celcius) 100 and the temps are more or less, 66/68/70/71c and max 71c and CPU load 99/100%

All this considering where I live is winter

All I so wish to know dear people if my laptop will crash during encoding proccess? Is it too much for my laptop? and what about the cooler fan? I do usually one encode per day that takes 8/10 hours, can I do maybe another more encode? or you say no more encodes?

I really hope you can understand if not, please tell me, and excuse me my English is not my first language

Thank you in advance!!
    Last edited by BlurayHD; 24th Aug 2019 at 18:56.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a cooling pad? That might be a good idea for something like this
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are on Windows you can throttle the GHz of the CPU to force it to run at a lower more efficient clock speed. Of course it will run a bit slower that way. You can set your max CPU speed to 99% to keep it out of the top clock speed. I also have a preset that runs at 80% CPU speed which cuts the max CPU speed in half, I mostly use this setting when idling the computer or it's doing nothing important.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/use-maximum-cpu-power-windows-10
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi @davexnet and karma and thank you for helping me, just for curiosity in some way you both are saying that temps are not good for the encode?

A friend of mine works with his laptop rendering professional video, that take hours and he has an i3 with 4gb and when I asked for any trouble with his laptop because the extreme full load he look to me just like nothing is for that I īm asking

Dear Davexnet I bough time ago a cooling pad and believe, I did several test and always take the same temp (pad or not) so I remove the pad.

Dear karma you are saying maybe 10 hours is not good? so far Iīm done three encodes what could happen anyway?

Please and again excuse me guys for my English Iīm trying to do my best
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi @davexnet and karma and thank you for helping me, just for curiosity in some way you both are saying that temps are not good for the encode?

A friend of mine works with his laptop rendering professional video, that take hours and he has an i3 with 4gb and when I asked for any trouble with his laptop because the extreme full load he look to me just like nothing is for that I īm asking

Dear Davexnet I bough time ago a cooling pad and believe, I did several test and always take the same temp (pad or not) so I remove the pad.

Dear karma you are saying maybe 10 hours is not good? so far Iīm done three encodes what could happen anyway?

Please and again excuse me guys for my English Iīm trying to do my best
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are worried about high temperatures, then you can drop the max CPU speed to make the CPU run cooler. It will run cooler but will take longer. That's what I was suggesting. There is nothing wrong with an encode taking 10 hours.

66/68/70/71c and max 71c and CPU load 99/100%
    Those CPU temps are not bad, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. 70c shouldn't be a problem for that CPU. It will automatically slow down if it's getting too hot. If the computer is crashing you have a problem.

Another way to reduce CPU temps is to reduce the number of CPU threads. Of course, your encoding will take longer.

You can speed up encoding by using faster settings. That will reduce the quality a bit but you may not even notice. For example, switching from the x264 veryslow preset to the slow preset will encode twice as fast with very little difference in quality.

Or switch to a different encoder. Intel's Quick Sync encoders are faster than x264 or x265. They also deliver lower quality though.

And why two pass encoding? The only reason to use two pass encoding is to achieve a specific file size -- for instance trying to fit a 90 minute movie on a 4.3 GB DVD. If you don't have a good reason for a specific file size use single pass RF encoding. You don't know exactly what the file size will be but it will be essentially the same quality as a two pass encoding at that size.

If you insist on two pass encoding use a fast first pass. It's a little less accurate but may cut down your encoding time by 40 percent.

Lastly, encoding on a laptop is a big mistake. A laptop i5 is about the equivalent of a desktop i3. Desktops have much better cooling and run quieter.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    70c shouldn't be a problem for that CPU. It will automatically slow down if it's getting too hot. If the computer is crashing you have a problem.

Another way to reduce CPU temps is to reduce the number of CPU threads. Of course, your encoding will take longer.

You can speed up encoding by using faster settings. That will reduce the quality a bit but you may not even notice. For example, switching from the x264 veryslow preset to the slow preset will encode twice as fast with very little difference in quality.

Or switch to a different encoder. Intel's Quick Sync encoders are faster than x264 or x265. They also deliver lower quality though.

And why two pass encoding? The only reason to use two pass encoding is to achieve a specific file size -- for instance trying to fit a 90 minute movie on a 4.3 GB DVD. If you don't have a good reason for a specific file size use single pass RF encoding. You don't know exactly what the file size will be but it will be essentially the same quality as a two pass encoding at that size.

If you insist on two pass encoding use a fast first pass. It's a little less accurate but may cut down your encoding time by 40 percent.

Lastly, encoding on a laptop is a big mistake. A laptop i5 is about the equivalent of a desktop i3. Desktops have much better cooling and run quieter.
    Thank you guys thank you @jagabo my laptop so far is not crashing, the temp max core temp says 72c , I donīt have any problem with let the laptop about 10 hours encode with 100% processors , I so wish to know is what about all this think? could the processor get hot or some error and with the time give errors?

I donīt know, if that temps are ok like I said I donīt care but always if the laptop is not implicated? you donīt have idea how much youīre helping me
    Quote Quote  
  9. If the CPU is getting hot other components are getting hot too. And they may not be as tolerant of the heat. That could cause data corruption or crashes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the CPU is getting hot other components are getting hot too. And they may not be as tolerant of the heat. That could cause data corruption or crashes.
    I was thinking about it, some think I donīt got clear is the temps that I posted right for the encode? and please donīt get me wrong this following is as an example if you are in my position, you do the encode and when it finish you let the laptop power off so the hardware inside can refresh?

Or Iīm overstate and it all fine? for really Ii so appreciate your pacience but I so need to be sure
    Quote Quote  
  11. Temperatures like that are ok for the CPU. In my experience, if a computer is overheating to the point of generating software errors it is going to crash real soon. So if you aren't crashing you're probably ok.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Temperatures like that are ok for the CPU. In my experience, if a computer is overheating to the point of generating software errors it is going to crash real soon. So if you aren't crashing you're probably ok.
    Thank you again, and no, so far is fine, thereīs just one thing and the first time that I do encode Core temp says max temp was 71c, after that encode waiting more than 12 hours I do two more encodes, so, the third encode that I do the max temp was 72c, is that normal?

Iīll do one more encode so Iīll see the temps and just for saying if I put some fan cooler just where the fresh air get into the laptop that maybe helps?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Temperatures like that are ok for the CPU. In my experience, if a computer is overheating to the point of generating software errors it is going to crash real soon. So if you aren't crashing you're probably ok.
    Hi guys again I want to thank you both for your pacience with me I really appreciate it, if you donīt mind I have two question

I tried encoding with 264 Intel QSV and the encoding time from maybe 10 hours decrease just 2 hours and Core temps says processors load are 87/90/95 maybe 98 (not 100%)

Time ago I tried encoding some movies in that way but with 264 NVenc (from Nvidia) and tried watching the result on my 55° TV and looks amazing so is there loosing quality? I mean the quality that you call it something not perceivable for the eyes ? I mean whatīs the sense of encode a movie that your eyes can appreciate at all?

In few words, is Intel QSV the right thing? I mean, I know thereīs a limit for eyes can see because that I asking this because this movies here at home we wish to keep on hard disc (not Bluray disc) our collection but the best quality that can be

Thank you in advance!!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Nvenc and Intel QS are inferior to x264 at the same bitrate. But all can deliver high quality when given enough bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    If you are on Windows you can throttle the GHz of the CPU to force it to run at a lower more efficient clock speed. Of course it will run a bit slower that way. You can set your max CPU speed to 99% to keep it out of the top clock speed. I also have a preset that runs at 80% CPU speed which cuts the max CPU speed in half, I mostly use this setting when idling the computer or it's doing nothing important.

Thank you dear karma, like I tell @jagabo I could use 264 NVenc in just two hours but he told me that quality is lower than x264, I just so wish to know if that quality 264 NVenc is amazing and enought for our eyes?

If not, what about if I do that you give on the link, decrease processors speed? that is normal to do?

Dear Karma, dear Jagabo you are helping me so much I hope you can tell me about this new ones
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    I just so wish to know if that quality 264 NVenc is amazing and enought for our eyes?
    Again, it depends on the bitrate. At very high bitrates they all look good. As bitrates get lower the quality of the Nvenc and QS encodings deteriorate faster than x264. It shows up mostly as loss of small, low contrast detail. Light film grain disappears (this can lead to posterization in some shots). Light wood grain disappears. Small wrinkles on actors' faces disappear. A fuzzy wool sweater may look like a smooth cotton shirt. Shimmering trees in the background will look like amorphous green blobs. Say you re-encode a 30 Mb/s Blu-ray video to 20 Mb/s. There may not be much difference between the original and any of the NV/QS/x264 encodings. But if you encode at 5 Mb/s there will be obvious differences with x264 retaining more detail.

It also matters what encoder settings you use. x264 at veryfast is much faster than x264 at veryslow -- but it also delivers lower quality. It's up to you to decide what speed/quality compromises you want to make.

Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    If not, what about if I do that you give on the link, decrease processors speed? that is normal to do?
    Normal? No. U series CPUs are optimized for low power consumption, lower temperatures, and longer battery life. Unfortunately that leads to low clock speeds and low performance. If you want to lower temperatures further you can lower the clock speed, or use fewer threads while encoding. Both those options will lower temperatures but your encoding will take longer.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post

Dear Karma, I tried many times to set up maximum processor to 80%, 60% etc but when I start the encode process Core temp says the processor takes 100% anyway

I just donīt know how or what to do buddy, so far as I undesrstando the idea is to keep the processor load lower than 100% right? I mean, this will keep the good help of the processor?

I really hope you dont mind and could tell me, thank you again in advance!!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    I tried many times to set up maximum processor to 80%, 60% etc but when I start the encode process Core temp says the processor takes 100% anyway
    Reducing the clock speed won't show lower CPU usage. The encoder still gets 100 percent CPU usage -- but the CPU is running slower (say, 1.5 GHz instead of 2.5 GHz) so it should be generating less heat.

Using fewer threads in the encoder will reduce CPU usage. The CPU will be running at the same clock speed, but fewer cores will be working.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps try Vitualdub2, it has a "speed limit" that will reduce CPU usage
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Perhaps try Vitualdub2, it has a "speed limit" that will reduce CPU usage
    Thank You davexnet I did not know about this one, thereīs a guide that tell me maybe some step how to use? this application do the same job that Handrake?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not that difficult. Open the file, video/compression/8-bit x264 - set as required.
    If the file has audio, audio/ full processing mode
    audio/compression FFmpeg aac - set as required

File/ save video... save as mp4 or MKV. Open the Windows Task Manager to the Details tab
    and check the CPU being used.
    Use the Speed Control as mentioned above
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not that difficult. Open the file, video/compression/8-bit x264 - set as required.

File/ save video... save as mp4 or MKV. Open the Windows Task Manager to the Details tab
    Dear davexnet Thank You very much, as I told you before I did not about VirtualDub, where can find it? I think thereīs VirtualDub2 ? and I have to download FFmpeg aac too? I will use AC3 but is required anyway?
    Last edited by BlurayHD; 30th Aug 2019 at 13:25.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM

Iīm let a try, I can see I have not the option to set up x264 (without 10/8 bit) I think my tv doesnīt play 8 bit, I canīt remeber, You so appreciate your paciencie dear davexnet is just Iīm loosing here on Virtualdub 2
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please donīt be angry with me because I donīt have any bad intention is just I can do the job, I feeling lost on Virtualdub2, I donīt know, all I wish to do is re encode the MKV to a lower size with 2 pass and can tell the program to donīt use all the power, I mean, donīt use full processor load
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Iīm thinking have to be a way to let Handbrake to not use all processor load? for really guys, you donīt have idea how I appreciate your help!!
    Quote Quote  
  26. If you don't use all the CPU power your encodings will take longer.

Why are you stressing out about this? 70 degrees C is not unusual for a laptop. It's well within the specs for that CPU. If your computer isn't crashing there's nothing to worry about.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    Iīm thinking have to be a way to let Handbrake to not use all processor load?
    I already told you how to reduce the CPU load in Handbrake: user fewer encoder threads. x264 normally uses 1.5 x the number of logical CPU cores. So your 2 core, 4 thread (4 logical cores) CPU will run with 6 x264 threads. In the x264 Extra Options box enter threads=2. That should reduce your CPU usage to about 50 percent. If you want less you can set threads=1, more, threads=3 or 4 or 5.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't use all the CPU power your encodings will take longer.

Why are you stressing out about this? 70 degrees C is not unusual for a laptop. It's well within the specs for that CPU. If your computer isn't crashing there's nothing to worry about.
    Thank You, all right with that and my laptop is taking 73c is is not matter? and in theory when the processor takes that temps, insiide the hardware is taking hot all? I mean, the battery sinde, wires wifi card etc?

Maybe this sounds crazy but I was thinking about take off the laptop base and put some stands on corners so I can eleveate the laptop and can breathe fresh ar? what you say?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    Iīm thinking have to be a way to let Handbrake to not use all processor load?
    I already told you how to reduce the CPU load in Handbrake: user fewer encoder threads. x264 normally uses 1.5 x the number of logical CPU cores. So your 2 core, 4 thread (4 logical cores) CPU will run with 6 x264 threads. In the x264 Extra Options box enter threads=2. That should reduce your CPU usage to about 50 percent. If you want less you can set threads=1, more, threads=3 or 4 or 5.
    I canīt find in Handbrake that you saying and th Extra option box

And buddy I so appreciate your paciencie with me, if I just can help you in other thing just tell me

I hope you could tell me and answer me this questions so Iīll get clar all, I really worried about my laptop that I love
    Quote Quote