VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, gang. Long time no see. My capturing attempts go back to the AIW 9800 Pro, and reading the wisdom of LordSmurf as gospel. There was a time when I knew a lot. Now I'm 46 and have quit my broadcast career in pursuit of a new, video-based self-employed career. But it's been a few years, so I'm asking for your wisdom to help bring me up to running speed.

My work will involve some amount of media conversion. My current VHS chain is Sony SVO-1630 -> Datavideo TBC-1000 -> Hauppauge HD-PVR, first generation, rev F2.

And in another box, I have a bunch of old Hauppauge MPEG encoder cards. I'm not even sure they'd work on the latest hardware, but in the off chance I've got something here that should really be used instead of the HD-PVR, could you please point it out and tell me why? Otherwise, I'm going to sell the lot of them and keep only fond memories of when rolling your own PVR with BeyondTV was the way to go.

My other, unused capture cards:

Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 32032 NTSC Ntsc-j PCI TV Tuner (Model 32032 rev b182)
    Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 NTSC/NTSC-J 26582 LF MPEG2 PCI TV Capture Tuner Card (Model 26582 LF rev f0b2)
    Hauppauge WinTV WinTV-PVR-150 PCI TV Tuner/Capture Card (Model 26032 rev c199)
    Hauppauge WinTV Hvr-2250 Pci-e TV Tuner Video Capture Card (Model 88061 LF rev c4f2)

I have other questions on some other matters, notably a frustrating experience trying to get DV out of a camcorder and into a modern PC, but I'll leave it at this for now. I'm glad this site is still around, and if any of the regulars remember me at all, howdy!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bigass View Post
    My work will involve some amount of media conversion. My current VHS chain is Sony SVO-1630 -> Datavideo TBC-1000 -> Hauppauge HD-PVR, first generation, rev F2.
    For VHS?
    What a shame.
    Thank god you're not working on my tapes. I'll warn my friends.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Originally Posted by bigass View Post
    For VHS?
    What a shame.
    Thank god you're not working on my tapes. I'll warn my friends.
    Thank goodness. What a relief. I was a little nervous to post after all these years, afraid all I'd get would be a swift reply saying the USB encoders are junk, and I should just pull the 9800 Pro out of storage, pick up one of the approved Panasonic decks and make sure I use the s-video path the whole way through. Thankfully, I got your reply instead, which says it all while offering no help. Thank you for being a breath of fresh air.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So, last night, I dug my old AIW 9800 Pro out of the bottom of the e-waste box that was on the way to the community recycling facility ... and went online and ordered two AG-1970s and a separate remote. So that'll make two pro decks, the Sony industrial deck and an old Sharp consumer deck just in case. I'm too old to be arguing with message board crusties. I ought to *be* a crusty old fart instead.

I'm still wondering whether that stack of old Hauppauge cards should go to the recycling depot as well, or is there something in there worth saving or selling?
    Quote Quote  
  5. One nice thing about the old Hauppauge PVR-250 is that it ignores Macrovision (and hence false Macrovision detection that causes problems with most other capture devices). I also discovered it was possible to capture uncompressed YUY2 video via the preview pins of the capture driver with GraphEdit (no MPEG compression artifacts). That left some kind of problem with the lines chroma being out of order. I never determined exactly what the problem was (it was long after I had moved onto HD capture) but I'm pretty sure the chroma could be fixed with AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Jagabo. I had a partial memory from way back, maybe even via you, that either the 150 or 250 had a hack to acquire uncompressed video.... I thought it was the 150, but you knew these cards better than almost anyone.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, the reports of uncompressed capture I saw were about the PVR-150 (never had one). I don't recall seeing such reports for the PVR-250. I was able to do it by building a custom capture graph in GraphEdit.
    Quote Quote