VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Question, I have a bunch of betacam tapes, and a few BetacamSP Tapes, I have a Sony PVW-2650 Deck. I'm looking to avoid using it's svideo out and utilize its component outputs to capture - and I need advice on the best method or DEVICES. I have a fair Windows XP PC I use to do other captures via Vdub and AIT AIW USB etc. (and I have some better Windows 10 PC's on the side). but in this case the component YPbPr becomes my challenge. Looking for advice here on - do I need to hunt down a component style capture card? Or are there other workflow options for me, passthru another device? hunt down a SDI, Component to USB device ? . May I add something EVERYONE says (sorry) , I'm trying to not break my bank" but I also understand you get what you pay for. In the end I'm looking for any recommendations or advice. Thanks in advance, MG
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hunt down a component capture card that supports lossless encoding.
    The less conversion, the better.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't the U and V mixed together anyway on the Betacam tape?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    It records one luma signal and two chroma signals as alternating segments of the R-Y and B-Y components in a scheme called Compressed Time Division Multiplex. It is different from S-Video.

Most likely your deck has a balanced audio output that modern capture devices don't support, This card can take the balanced output but it needs a breakout cable which is not cheap and even if you find the card with the breakout they are usually over $70. Also I'm not sure if it's compatible with PC, Aja is well known to make Mac compatible devices.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 18th Aug 2019 at 23:27. Reason: Added info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    It records one luma signal and two chroma signals as alternating segments of the R-Y and B-Y components in a scheme called Compressed Time Division Multiplex. It is different from S-Video.
    Ok, just checking.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Also Matrox and BlackMagic make similar PCI cards.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Most likely your deck has a balanced audio output that modern capture devices don't support, This card can take the balanced output but it needs a breakout cable which is not cheap and even if you find the card with the breakout they are usually over $70.
    That is a PCI-X card. PCI-X cards often work in normal slots as well (provided they fit) it may not. It would probably be easier to capture the audio part using a USB sound card with balanced inputs, which are quite widely available.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Most likely your deck has a balanced audio output that modern capture devices don't support, This card can take the balanced output but it needs a breakout cable which is not cheap and even if you find the card with the breakout they are usually over $70.
    That is a PCI-X card. PCI-X cards often work in normal slots as well (provided they fit) it may not. It would probably be easier to capture the audio part using a USB sound card with balanced inputs, which are quite widely available.
    I don't know if PCI-X works with his Windows XP machine, Modern component capture devices are not cheap especially if he has to get an extra XLR audio capture device that will add up to the cost. I'm pretty sure there are PCI component capture cards with XLR inputs that work out there he just has to keep looking.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I may have access to a Hauppauge Colossus PCI Express card - so that MIGHT MAYBE HOPEFULLY (lol) solve my component capture issue from the deck to the Capture card etc .....( provided the pc I'm rebuilding works, proper drivers yada yada yada)
    I have a thought on the Audio?
    I was in a band in a former life - I might be able to come out of the XLR's on the Sony PVW-2650 deck into my mackie mixer (all xlr) - then from the mackie mixer feed that audio to my pc or the capture card.
    BUT also I wonder if I can use the HEADPHONE Jack on the front of the Sony PVW-2650 deck to get audio and send that to my pc capture?

Boy - the 1980's was a pain.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Gibson767 View Post
    Boy - the 1980's was a pain.
    Indeed.

Some pro equipment with balanced outputs can be tweaked to output as unbalanced by bridging the ground and cold pins, Try it and watch your levels, If you are getting a good level using an audio meter you should be good to go, Such adapters can be found online or you can make your own if you have the hardware.
    Alternatively the headphone output is a good option, You can even set the gain using the volume knob, I've used it on my Sony J-3SDI deck to view tapes on my work bench monitor and M-Audio powered speakers using 1/4" to 3.5mm cable adapter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Headphone out is a last-ditch option, but not a good one. Impedance is not optimal out->in. Unbalanced. Usually Hph amp is quite noisy on all but high end audiophile gear.

XLR->Mackie->line in is the way to go.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I agree, the headphone amp could introduce some noise into the audio path and should be avoided as much as possible. It was designed for monitoring purposes only.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks to all, so glad to get these tips, such a big help.
    Mike
    Quote Quote