VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    (Sorry about this being so long, but I couldn't make it any shorter and still have all the pertinent details which may help someone come up with the answers and a solution for my dilemma...and OOPS...just noticed there's a Blu-ray Ripping forum I missed, so move this thread there please)

I have a copy of the BD release of Jaws 3D, and it does contain the 3D version...as an extra, no less.

I want to rip the 3D version to an anaglyph format (which I've done with several Blu-ray 3D titles) because I don't have a 3D tv (yet, anyway). I usually use DVD Fab to rip an anaglyph MKV, and usually by loading a disc or disc folder it detects what is usually the SSIF folder which (usually) contains the needed files to play a disc in 3D (on a 3D tv of course).

Both Google and the forums on Blu-ray.com have proven fruitless as to determine what 3D process was used on the Jaws 3D disc. There is no SSIF folder...yet in PowerDVD I can play a Blu-ray 3D disc and my PowerDVD settings are set to play such a title in anaglyph format. Jaws 3D does play in it beautifully (in actual 3D and not the faux 3D PowerDVD is capable of).

Does anyone know how Universal encoded the 3D info onto this disc, and how can I rip it to anaglyph format?

DVD Fab locates and recognizes the movie, and detects no less than 3 different playlists (related to only one video file) for the same main movie...but it only recognizes it as 2D. Usually, when I rip a BD 3D disc, DVD Fab indicates a title is not only 3D but it usually notes the correlated SSIF file for the 3D version. BD Rebuilder does recognize the movie as 3D, but every attempt to rip it fails. "Failed video encode, aborted" is all that happens in BD Rebuilder. Rebuilder also indicates two "3D" VID titles...one of which is only 3.01 mb.

Again...how did Universal encode the 3D info on this, and how can I rip the 3D version to anaglyph?

Other Universal Blu-ray 3D titles I have which do have the SSIF folders are Creature From the Black Lagoon (an actual retail disc I bought), and It Came From Outer Space (a download I burned...although that one was compressed to a BD25...which is the only blank BD format I can work with).

NOTE that my Jaws 3D disc has also been shrunk to a BD25. Still, it doesn't have the conventional SSIF folder and files.

Also checked another Universal title I have, Paranorman, which is/was also a BD 3D disc (the top menu gives the choice between 2d and 3D viewing), and it also plays in PowerDVD in actual 3d anaglyph (including 3D menu screens)...yet Paranorman also does not have the SSIF folder or files, and is also a shrunk-to-BD25 title.

Does any of this (re: Jaws 3D and Paranorman...another one I'd like to rip to anaglyph) have anything to do with residual 3D info left on the disc even if the SSIF folder and files were removed?
    Or is there some other process of ripping Blu-ray 3D without all the SSIF stuff, that I'm not aware of?
    Last edited by BorgFan; 18th Aug 2019 at 13:37. Reason: Added info
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Uh, thanks, but you seem to have missed this part of my original post above:

DVD Fab locates and recognizes the movie, and detects no less than 3 different playlists (related to only one video file) for the same main movie...but it only recognizes it as 2D. Usually, when I rip a BD 3D disc, DVD Fab indicates a title is not only 3D but it usually notes the correlated SSIF file for the 3D version.
    DVD Fab does not recognize either disc as 3D...it only seems to recognize them as 2D. The only settings that come up are ones for making adjustments for converting 2D to 3D. The correct settings for doing a 3D rip from Blu-ray 3D (choosing the format you want to rip to...anaglyph formats, SBS, etc.) do not come up. DVD Fab is only recognizing the 2D versions on the discs.
    Last edited by BorgFan; 18th Aug 2019 at 15:52. Reason: Added and changed some details
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Read thru this link or go to the site itself
    https://forum.doom9.org/search.php?searchid=8448752
    and from
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaws_3-D
    Cinema audiences could wear disposable polarized glasses to view the film
    the Arrivision 3D technique uses a special twin-lens adapter fitted to the film camera, and divides the 35 mm film frame in half along the middle, capturing the left-eye image in the upper half of the frame and the right-eye image in the lower half, a technique known as "over/under". This allows filming to proceed as for any standard 2D film, without the considerable additional expense of having to double up on cameras and film stock for every shot. When the resultant film is projected through a normal projector (albeit one requiring a special lens that combines the upper and lower images), a true polarized 3D image is produced. This system allows 3D films to be shown in almost any cinema since it does not require two projectors running simultaneously through the presentation⁠ ⁠
    Last edited by gonca; 18th Aug 2019 at 16:14.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=gonca;2557941]Read thru this link or go to the site itself
    https://forum.doom9.org/search.php?searchid=8448752
    and from
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaws_3-D
    Cinema audiences could wear disposable polarized glasses to view the film
    1. Okay...that Doom9 link doesn't work, nothing comes up...what was the information there about? How does it relate to my question about the Blu-ray?

2. All that other info is useless and irrelevant to my original question which...once again...was how was Jaws 3D mastered for the Blu-ray release? (as a typical SSIF process or was it something else? There are NO SSIF folders or files on the disc for that or Paranorman)

My question was NOT about how the movie itself was shot (all that Arrivision information is irrelevant). I'm asking about how the Blu-ray was mastered...how should the Blu-ray be (with SSIF folders and files, or something else??).

ALSO...how can I rip both Jaws 3D and Paranorman to an anaglyph MKV file since neither disc I have contains that SSIF information, and DVD Fab ONLY read both discs as 2D?
    I appreciate the responses but none of the responses so far are helping to solve my issue with these discs nor are the answers being given even related to my original question.

Please...before someone just arbitrarily posts a response READ my original post again...carefully...to see what my issue with these discs are, what my question was, and how to come up with a solution.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Go to Doom9 and search for inmux, over/under, etc
    Those quotes are about Jaws 3D including the red over/under
    SSIF is not the only way for 3D
    Your question is about how the 3D was done on this movie
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    GOOD start...so SSIF is not the only way to do 3D on a Blu-ray? YAY! That's a start...that's part of what I originally asked!

Uh, NO...my question was NOT about how the 3D was done on the movie as far as how it was originally filmed...my question was:

Does anyone know how Universal encoded the 3D info onto this disc
    If it was not SSIF then how was it done? I also keep repeating myself stating that the discs I have for JAws 3D and Paranorman not only do not contain SSIF folders, but I am unable to rip them to anaglyph using DVD Fab because that program is ONLY recognizing the movies as 2D. When I go to the settings for doing so, I am only given the choices for doing the faux 2D to 3D conversion (setting the depth, etc.). When I've used DVD Fab on other Blu-ray 3D discs, I get the ripping options of choosing the 3D format I want to rip to...anaglyph, side-by-side-, over-under, etc. NONE of those choices are coming up for these two movies. Looking at the m2ts video files on each disc, there is only one video file for each movie...and neither one is any sort of SBS or Over/Under format. There is only ONE 2D video file on each disc.

How much clearer do I need to be explaining myself and the problem I'm having with these two movies?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BorgFan View Post
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    GOOD start...so SSIF is not the only way to do 3D on a Blu-ray? YAY! That's a start...that's part of what I originally asked!

Uh, NO...my question was NOT about how the 3D was done on the movie as far as how it was originally filmed...my question was:

Does anyone know how Universal encoded the 3D info onto this disc
    If it was not SSIF then how was it done? I also keep repeating myself stating that the discs I have for JAws 3D and Paranorman not only do not contain SSIF folders, but I am unable to rip them to anaglyph using DVD Fab because that program is ONLY recognizing the movies as 2D. When I go to the settings for doing so, I am only given the choices for doing the faux 2D to 3D conversion (setting the depth, etc.). When I've used DVD Fab on other Blu-ray 3D discs, I get the ripping options of choosing the 3D format I want to rip to...anaglyph, side-by-side-, over-under, etc. NONE of those choices are coming up for these two movies. Looking at the m2ts video files on each disc, there is only one video file for each movie...and neither one is any sort of SBS or Over/Under format. There is only ONE 2D video file on each disc.

How much clearer do I need to be explaining myself and the problem I'm having with these two movies?
    here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaws_3-D
    and here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray
    Last edited by october262; 18th Aug 2019 at 18:53.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    That is the exact same link I supplied
    I believe the op expects a spoon feeding

The irrelevant ArriVision stuff is how the 3D was done, no SSIF
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    WHY in the name of all that is holy did you repost that same USELESS link from a little while ago?

Let me try ONCE more with this, as succinctly as is possible for you to understand:

1. I have BD-R discs of Jaws 3D and Paranorman, both shrunk down from BD50 to BD25.
    2. I want to use DVD Fab to rip them to red/blue anaglyph MKV videos, which I've done successfully with several other BD 3D discs (both retail and shrinked downloads).
    3. NEITHER disc for Jaws 3D or Paranorman contain the usual SSIF folder and files...so how was the 3D encoded on each of these Universal BD releases?
    4. NEITHER disc is correctly read in DVD Fab...it only recognizes them as 2D, not 3D (Fab usually reads the relevant SSIF file for Blu-ray 3D). It apparently is reading these discs as 2D only.
    5. DVD Fab also ONLY gives me options for doing a 2D to 3D faux conversion, including the relevant settings for that. NONE of the usual 3D ripping options...choices for anaglyph, side by side, over/under, etc...appear. Fab is ONLY reading the discs as 2D.
    6. HOWEVER...I can play them in PowerDVD18 and they DO play in full anaglyph 3D (anaglyph being my format of choice in PowerDVD...which is obviously recognizing SOMETHING on each disc as being Blu-ray 3D.
    7. If it was Arrivision for Jaws 3D (and however Paranorman was done), then why on both of these discs is there only a single 2D file with no over/under or SBS image? I checked each disc and there is only a single video file for each movie (about 20gb for each).
    8. Those two links you reposted above do not tell me HOW each of these discs were encoded for 3D. They're only generalized links.

Let's try this again...I don't know how much clearer or specific I can get.
    Last edited by BorgFan; 18th Aug 2019 at 19:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The methods & formats of displaying 3d are completely independent from the methods & formats of storing 3d (and also of transmitting, and of capturing).

That whole bit about Arrivision refers to methods of optical (usually film-based), anamorphic compression (to fit onto a standard film frame), along with accompanying reversal/decompression when projecting.

3d disc storage falls into 2 categories - true, blu-ray3d disc offerings and non-true. The non-true bd3d discs can be stored in a variety of formats: 1/2 over/under, interlaced, 1/2 sbs, anaglyph, etc.

Only true bd3d discs will play properly in settop bd3d players. This is not the same thing as software bd3d players, as those OFTEN support additional formats. So test it in a settop. My educated guess is that it is NOT a true bd3d, so what format it is is anybody's guess.

All forms of true bd3d store the 3d (enhancement/difference) elements in the SSIF files, regardless of display format, unless the producer cheated and created a 2nd 2d title using over/under or sbs methods and then authored as 3dbd in order for it to give automatic 3d signalling downstream. In that instance, there might not be corresponding SSIF files. It's a stupid and lazy way to do it as it doesn't take advantage of mvc compression efficiencies, so will be either lower quality or larger size (or both). And if it is one of those forms, it'll also be 1/2 the resolution of a properly done true 3dbd. But that is a possible exception.

Can you name the title isbn? That might clarify which version this is, and if it isn't true, proper 3dbd will warn off future buyers.

If it's o/u or sbs, there are plenty of past posts (many of them mine) regarding how to convert to anaglyph. And if that's what these are, you rip as a normal 2d title would (picking strictly the 3d version, however). Because, in a sense, frame-compatible 3d IS actually 2d. Mvc, otoh, is service-compatible 3d.

Btw, what's with the 'tude?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Are you sure you have legit copies? My copy of ParaNorman does have SSIF files.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Btw, what's with the 'tude?

Scott
    The " 'tude" is my getting upset at being jerked around and not given a direct answer to what I originally asked, and presumably explained very clearly MORE than once.

I appreciate your detailed info, as well as the other one who stated his Paranorman has SSIF files.

Once AGAIN...my burned copies of Jaws 3D and Paranorman were torrent downloads, which I believe I shrunk to BD25, and burned to disc. Neither one has the SSIF folder or files (as I'vwe explained more than once here). Also as I've explained a couple of times. both discs CAN be played in PowerDVD 18 in true 3D (not the faux 2d-3D conversion PowerDVD can do) and viewed in anaglyph format. It's clear to me that they're being played in true 3D because the faux 3D simply never looks good.

Therefore, both Jaws 3D and Paranorman have SOMETHING still on those discs which is being recognized as Blu-ray 3D.

HOWEVER...DVD Fab is only recognizing them as 2D. I only have the option in Fab for choosing settings related to 2D-3D conversion...not the options for doing a proper and true 3D anaglyph rip from Blu-ray 3D.

SO...the question remains: How can I get these two titles ripped to anaglyph 3D??

Don't know how many times I can possibly explain this in so many different ways.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure you have legit copies? My copy of ParaNorman does have SSIF files.

Scott
    "Legit" in what sense? Read the other reply I just posted...I explained (again) that these were BD rips I downloaded and burned to discs. They're also not the only ones which were Blu-ray 3D discs I've downloaded, and had no issues with others...with the exception of these two titles NOT having the SSIF folder or files. Other BD 3D titles I've snatched have worked with ripping to anaglyph because they had the SSIF stuff on them.
    Last edited by BorgFan; 18th Aug 2019 at 20:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Once AGAIN...my burned copies of Jaws 3D and Paranorman were torrent downloads,
    Really?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Once AGAIN...my burned copies of Jaws 3D and Paranorman were torrent downloads,
    Really?
    Uh, yeah...and your point is by quoting me and highlighting "torrent downloads"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The point being you knowingly broke the rules here, and just told us so in no uncertain terms.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Too bad, I have the answer(s) to your questions.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i think this thread has run it's course, it needs closed.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The point being you knowingly broke the rules here, and just told us so in no uncertain terms.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Too bad, I have the answer(s) to your questions.

Scott
    1. My bad...I wasn't aware I had broken the "rules".

2. I did not "knowingly" break the rules. You're making an assumption that I did so "knowingly". You also made an assumption I "told you so" knowingly. That's ridiculous.

3. Smartass with the "Too bad, I have the answer(s) to your questions.". That's a lousy and infantile reaction.

STAFF can do me a favor..delete this thread and also my registration here...I won't be back or bother with this place because of the smarmy and hoity-toity attitude I've been receiving here. It's not worth it.
    Last edited by BorgFan; 19th Aug 2019 at 09:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    (leaving this for subsequent inquiries...)

When you signed on to this site, you agreed to the forum's RULES.
    Including:
    Rules
    Warez rules
    General rules
    Advertising
    Fair use / Backup
    Signatures
    Other
    Feedback
    Reports
    Complaints

Warez rules
    What is warez? Obtained movies/tv-series/tv-shows/software either through download, torrent, etc that breaks the copyright.

Do NOT talk about warez releases
    Like filenames Movie.2012.DVDSCR.X264.AAC.P2P.mkv. Please don't download warez movie/tv releases.

Do NOT talk about copying rented/subscription material
    You are not allowed to rip/copy/record rented video. It includes streaming rented/subscribed video like netflix, itunes, hulu plus, etc.

Do NOT give warez / Do NOT link to warez
    Distributing warez. This includes linking to warez either directly or to crack or serial sites. Offering warez in any fashion including PM or e-mail is against forum policy.

Do NOT ask for warez
    Asking for warez. In any fashion this is unacceptable including but not limited to PM or e-mail requests or information on what p-2-p network has copies.

Do NOT provide information on how to obtain warez
    Providing information on how to obtain warez.

Do NOT advocate warez
    Advocate warez. Recommending the use of warez.
    (my emphasis in bold)

If you owned the original discs, you could just (re-)rip them properly, instead of relying on bad rips from others.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM
    @Cornucopia
    At least he thinks part of you is smart
    Smartass with the "Too bad
    Quote Quote